Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
California
Opened up our Brand New iMac 20" 1.8 Superdrive yesterday. Display is wonderful, runs perfectly, fast as can be.

But.....
We pop in a DVD, Monsters, Inc. Looks good until the movie starts to run. There is a weird "shifting of color" sensation that happens from frame to frame. You can notice it mostly when the image is still, going from a similar image from frame to frame, you notice it less when the frames change more frequently. It is a weird color shift that basically looks like the old style animation that jumps around from frame to frame because the camera wasnt in the same place for each frame.

You can notice a reddish thicker line around the border of each animated character from frame to frame. It is really distracing and definately is not right.

We then popped in Lion King, just to see if it did it only on a certain DVD and it did it again. I hope I am explaining the symptoms well enough.

Could I ask anyone with a new iMac G5 to test and confirm?

Thanks.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
MacUser4_20 said:
OK cool time to call apple, thanks!

Sounds like a good idea since mine plays DVDs fine too. Just out of curiosity, I noticed that you tried 2 animated movies, is the problem still there when you play a live action film. I'm sure it is, but you should probably rule everything out.

I wonder what the problem is caused by, though? Would a bad SuperDrive cause the color shifting? Could it be a display issue? Or, maybe just a sofware problem?

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
California
Regular DVD's do the same, I need to activate my Applecare, and then they will come out and lok at it, as I am not close to a Service Store..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.