Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0 and A ai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I was workin in the ofifce and one of the macs that wasn't being used all of a sudden started making a loud noise. No activity on the comp whatsoever. the case was vibrating thats how loud the noise was.

I shut it down quickly opened it to see if any cables some how came into contact with a fan. I moved some cables around and nothing. Still happens. LOUD AS HECK.

I don't have MDD g4 its a later one than that.

Any ideas?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
An off-balance CD in the drive?

Some of those tend to rattle the computer when they're on a hard surface, and they can spin up at odd times, plus they can be quite loud.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
0 and A ai said:
I was workin in the ofifce and one of the macs that wasn't being used all of a sudden started making a loud noise. No activity on the comp whatsoever. the case was vibrating thats how loud the noise was.

I shut it down quickly opened it to see if any cables some how came into contact with a fan. I moved some cables around and nothing. Still happens. LOUD AS HECK.

I don't have MDD g4 its a later one than that.

Any ideas?

I bet it is the hard drive.
Disconnect power to the hard drive and boot from a FW drive or CD.

0 and A ai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
pncc said:
I bet it is the hard drive.
Disconnect power to the hard drive and boot from a FW drive or CD.

its a dual 1 ghz

Nothing in drive we opened it and left in on cleaned the whole thing out of dust. Its the CPU fan running full blast. Activity monitor shows no on goin tatsks and cpu usage is one bar or no bars for each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.