Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 25, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T Launches Major Wi-Fi Hotspot in New York City's Times Square

AT&T today announced that it is rolling out a large new Wi-Fi hotspot in New York City's busy Times Square, offering users of the company's congested cellular networks a new option for routing traffic in the area.
Quote:
AT&T today announced the launch of an AT&T Wi-Fi "hotzone" in New York City's bustling Times Square, providing coverage for many AT&T customers visiting and residing in New York who use Wi-Fi enabled smartphones, laptops, netbooks and other devices. The new Wi-Fi coverage zone is a pilot deployment to explore the use of Wi-Fi to provide an additional mobile broadband option in areas with consistently high 3G traffic and mobile data use.
The press release notes that coverage is generally available in the north central portion of Times Square, near 7th Avenue between West 45th and West 47th Streets.

Access to the Wi-Fi hotspot is available free of charge to nearly 32 million AT&T customers with qualifying phone, laptop, or high-speed Internet plans.
Quote:
With this pilot AT&T Wi-Fi hotzone, we're examining new ways to combine our Wi-Fi and 3G networks to help ensure that AT&T customers in Times Square always have a fast mobile broadband connection to do what matters most to them. It's another example of how AT&T is exploring the ideal blend of technologies to maximize the mobile experience for our customers in New York City.
AT&T has been making major investments in its network infrastructure, particularly in Manhattan and San Francisco where high demand has made it difficult for the carrier to keep up. Recent studies have shown that AT&T customers have been seeing generally improved data performance as a result of the company's efforts, but that voice performance continues to trail that of competing carriers.

Article Link: AT&T Launches Major Wi-Fi Hotspot in New York City's Times Square
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 11:40 AM   #2
funnyent
macrumors regular

Hopefully the wifi will be fast and not have some log in thing you have to use every time you get near the area.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:56 AM   #3
iPhone3Gusr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyent View Post
Hopefully the wifi will be fast and not have some log in thing you have to use every time you get near the area.
agreed. those are a pain to deal with
Old May 25, 2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Maverick1337
macrumors 65816

Stupid question:

Can I only use this free Wi-Fi on my iPhone or can I use it on my laptop as well (being an AT&T customer)?
Maverick1337 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 12:07 PM   #5
iPhone3Gusr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1337 View Post
Stupid question:

Can I only use this free Wi-Fi on my iPhone or can I use it on my laptop as well (being an AT&T customer)?
from what i have heard and seen at least in my area is any wireless device can connect. so yes you can use your laptop
Old May 25, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6
douglaswilliams
macrumors member

I wonder what the star after the Starbucks means?

Maybe it means only select locations based on franchise owner discretion. I'll go look it up in the original...
douglaswilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 12:22 PM   #7
douglaswilliams
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglaswilliams View Post

Maybe it means only select locations based on franchise owner discretion. I'll go look it up in the original...
The article they linked to doesn't even have that logo on the page, nor does it have the word "Starbucks." I know the Starbucks in my area are not free to AT&T customers.

Why the heck are you putting that logo on the story MacRumors? It has nothing to do with it.
douglaswilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 12:44 PM   #8
spillproof
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The article they linked to doesn't even have that logo on the page, nor does it have the word "Starbucks." I know the Starbucks in my area are not free to AT&T customers.

Why the heck are you putting that logo on the story MacRumors? It has nothing to do with it.
Quote:

It is actually an image from the AT&T wifi page. It is the second image of three in that box thing.

The * means= "Wi-Fi at Starbucks available at U.S. company-operated Starbucks locations equipped with a hotspot."
Old May 25, 2010, 12:57 PM   #9
phineas
macrumors regular

Cool Too funny

Our 3G network is not even close to what our advertisements are saying so lets just do a wifi thingy rite before the NEW iPhone is released
phineas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 01:32 PM   #10
schwell
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phineas View Post
Our 3G network is not even close to what our advertisements are saying so lets just do a wifi thingy rite before the NEW iPhone is released
Not surprised...They provide this service at no additional cost and people complain or make cynical remarks anyway.
schwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 01:51 PM   #11
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by phineas View Post
ok then dont use the wifi. o and new york is the only place with a prob cause of traffic. im pretty sure new york isnt the only place people live.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:52 PM   #12
Rocketman
macrumors 603

You know how to solve voice connect issues? Turn it off.

Use VoIP. Allow VoIP. Make it the default option.

Rocketman

To AT&T:

http://xirrus.com/

For every major metro area which is jammed. You are 30 days to "problem solved" at a tiny fraction of the cost of any alternative. Tell them Rocketman sent you.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:09 PM   #13
cwheatley
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to cwheatley
Lightbulb

great. now all of our terrorists will be able to check facebook before planting amateurish bombs.
cwheatley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 02:12 PM   #14
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwheatley View Post
great. now all of our terrorists will be able to check facebook before planting amateurish bombs.
bad joke
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 02:21 PM   #15
derek1984
macrumors 6502a

This is just more proof that the new iPhone will not work with 3G iChat.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:37 PM   #16
JediZenMaster
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JediZenMaster
Well technically the free Wi-Fi on iPhone's is old news. Because they have offered this for a long time. The only new part is the Wi-Fi hotspot in times square.
Old May 25, 2010, 02:56 PM   #17
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Identity Theft Central

Wow. People will have their accounts hacked big-time if they do sensitive transactions in public. Especially if they just log in from browsers.
SockRolid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 03:02 PM   #18
NikeTalk
macrumors 6502a

Makes you wonder more about why we're paying $30 for a data plan.
NikeTalk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 03:17 PM   #19
coasterswim
macrumors 6502

^ It's so you can have access to hot spots like this one.
Old May 25, 2010, 04:48 PM   #20
zephead
macrumors 68000

I was in Times Square on Easter and they already had a free Times Square WiFi. Is this news just because AT&T now has their name on it?
Old May 25, 2010, 05:42 PM   #21
room237
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
Wow. People will have their accounts hacked big-time if they do sensitive transactions in public. Especially if they just log in from browsers.
It's a risk people take, but this is nothing new. It's not the first WiFi hotspot.
room237 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 09:12 PM   #22
Rocketman
macrumors 603

When wifi came out the open hacker community was suggesting Pringle's can antennas to provide free wifi within 300 feet of each and every broadband connection on the basis that if everyone did it nobody could be enforced against for sharing their connection.

Maybe it is time to amend the ISP TOS to simply allow free wifi sharing.

It will slightly harm each connection but overall help us globally.

If they don't edit the TOS, a Pringle's can wifi antenna costs about $10 in parts and has no way to be enforced against. Either omnidirectional or directional are very easy indeed.

Rocketman

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...c073e033f0cee8

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448
Old May 25, 2010, 09:52 PM   #23
iphones4evry1
macrumors 65816

Any chance AT&T will be installing one of these near the Weavers' red barn in the unincorporated part of Cornfield, Iowa any time soon?

(As soon as the gravel road turns into a dirt road, it's about half a mile past the wooden water tower)
iphones4evry1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 04:46 AM   #24
Fafafoooey
macrumors member

If At&t would wake up and enable UMA like tmo does, that would help mitigate congestion on their cellular network as well.
Fafafoooey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 12:00 AM   #25
ddarko
macrumors regular

The Times Square wi-fi is useless. I was talking on my phone on the M104 bus this morning right at 48th St and 7th Ave when BAM! Call failed. Unbelievable that after THREE YEARS and counting, AT&T still can't get a stable cell reception in a 8-block radius. What a joke.
ddarko is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion