Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
So since the iPhone 4 will have a Micro SIM, how will I get my info and stuff off of my current SIM card and put it onto the Micro SIM? I am most likely going to order and have the iPhone 4 shipped to my Apple Store so I can pick it up first thing in the morning. Will the Apple Store be able to transfer the cards, or will I have to go to the ATT store later and have them do it? Also, think ATT would charge me anything for doing it? Thanks Guys.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
there are many Contact backup apps in the app store...download both apps to the new and old phone there you go

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
1st link doesn't work

Well I have my contacts in the Address Book on my MBP. I just mean like the activation and my phone number and crap. I'm going to sell my 3G to a coworker so he can just pop in his SIM card right and he'll be set.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You can restore from a backup or sync your contacts after setup as new (preferred) when you get home. The sim card does not have contacts unless it's from a non-iPhone. Your friend will insert his and then import contacts from sim and then insert the iPhone sim.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
It's a search in this forum for the words "micro sim". You should read through the results since your asnwer is already there.

yea I did that and nothing came up regarding to what I was questioning.

First phone I've had that uses a SIM card. But doesn't the SIM contain my number and activation info?

not worried about data and stuff since I have everything on iTunes.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
What will non-iPhone users do to get their contacts on to the new iPhone?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What will non-iPhone users do to get their contacts on to the new iPhone?

iTunes and the info on your computer. ATT, for exmaple, can transfer contacts from your old phone to your new iPhone. Honestly, its just best to update your computer with your current phone contacts.

So what do I do if I ever want to use my 3GS?
Keep a SIM in it and if you need to have your carrier activate that device. It won't extend your contract.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok, so when I pick up the new iPhone at the Apple Store they will do all that? Cool. Thats all I was asking for.

My suggestion, assuming you have one, is to bring your laptop with you and then someone will be able to help you if you have issues. remember, that your phone will be tied to one computer at a time and if you sync to a different one it will wipe the info from that phone and replace it with the info from the new computer.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
iTunes and the info on your computer. ATT, for exmaple, can transfer contacts from your old phone to your new iPhone. Honestly, its just best to update your computer with your current phone contacts.

Keep a SIM in it and if you need to have your carrier activate that device. It won't extend your contract.
Ahh. Makes sense. I'm assuming that on of those micro sim to sim adapters would work as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.