Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
My iMac has been wireless with Airport Extreme for a good time, and I get 100% signal strength as the router is right above me. I just installed Airport Extreme into my iBook G4 and I only get one bar of signal strength. My iBook is right next to my iMac. Does the Airport card take a few days to get warmed up or something like that? I remember I had to wait a few days for my desktop to finally reach full signal strength. Do two Airport-installed computers cause interference with each other when right next to each other?

WCat

macrumors member
No, it doesn't need to warm up. My best guess is that you need to double-check that your antenna connector is fully snapped down into the hole in the Airport Extreme card. If I were you, I'd pull the AE card up out of its socket again and re-seat it firmly. It should snug down tightly. Next, do the same with the antenna connector. If you tug moderately on the little plastic tab attached to the antenna connector and it pulls out, it wasn't snapped down into place all the way. You need to line it up squarely with the hole in the AE card and push in firmly until in snaps in.

If that doesn't do it, you may want to try another AE card, although it's extremely (pun intended) rare that you'll find a bad Apple card.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers,

WCat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.