Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
I currently have a Mac Mini that I use for 99% of my computing needs. It's working out great. However, recently I've been doing a lot of traveling, etc, and am thinking I want to pick up a notebook.

So I have a question about the Macbook Pro. I'm trying to figure out the best way of articulating this, so bear with me...

...I currently have my Mac Mini attached to a Samsung 20" monitor, and am using a Mac wireless keyboard and mouse. Would it be possible to attach a Macbook Pro to the same monitor and leave the lid/screen shut, while using the wireless mouse and keyboard...effectively turning the laptop into a makeshift desktop while I'm at home? Or would I have to keep the screen open, and/or use the built in keyboard/touch pad?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I don't know about the current gen, just make sure some of heat doesn't vent through the keyboard, but having using mine, I don't see the heat eascaping through the keyboard. What size were you thinking?
You might want to take a look at Henge docks or other forms of notebook stands.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Todays laptops are more than capable of performing 90% of what most of us typically do at the desk top. Matter of fact I've been thinking that when it comes time to replace my MacPro 1,1 in another year or two I may just end up going with a high end MBP. The only down side is that I've gotten rather used to running 3 monitors.

Tom71

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
I use mine as a web development and programming tool and run DB servers and other stuff on it, while in clamshell mode, and it works fine as a desktop replacement. And if I have to go anywhere, I can take all stuff with me since it's a laptop.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
I use mine as a web development and programming tool and run DB servers and other stuff on it, while in clamshell mode, and it works fine as a desktop replacement. And if I have to go anywhere, I can take all stuff with me since it's a laptop.

Absolutely, that's more or less my intention...minus all the hardware intensive stuff. Everything I do on my Macs is pretty tame...internet, word processing, blah-blah...day to day stuff.

The Mini is great for what it is, but it's a semi-pain to take with me when traveling, and I can't use it on the plane. So by my thinking, I can just grab a MBP that can do everything my Mini can, but would also be practical for traveling.

Does one have to set the MBP for a special clamshell mode to work like that, or do you just plug in a monitor and the computer does the rest?

PS: When is the MBP due for an update. The C2D is getting pretty old, no? I don't really care...as I said, this thing is for very basic stuff. But still, like to be ahead of the curve whenever possible. Longevity and all that.

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
this thread just made me want to use my mac into a clam shell makeshift home rig too! hmmmmmmmmmmm, would be amazing to watch blu ray quality movies on an external monitor ;)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Absolutely, that's more or less my intention...minus all the hardware intensive stuff. Everything I do on my Macs is pretty tame...internet, word processing, blah-blah...day to day stuff.

The Mini is great for what it is, but it's a semi-pain to take with me when traveling, and I can't use it on the plane. So by my thinking, I can just grab a MBP that can do everything my Mini can, but would also be practical for traveling.

Does one have to set the MBP for a special clamshell mode to work like that, or do you just plug in a monitor and the computer does the rest?

PS: When is the MBP due for an update. The C2D is getting pretty old, no? I don't really care...as I said, this thing is for very basic stuff. But still, like to be ahead of the curve whenever possible. Longevity and all that.

The MacBook Pro has just gone through an update.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
The MacBook Pro has just gone through an update.

Ah-ha! So now is probably a good time to buy.

Is there a notable performance difference between the 2.4 and the 2.66? It'd be stretching my budget a bit to opt for the 2.66, but if it's a hands-down superior machine, then I might consider it.

My only reason for going that route would be longevity. The 1.83 C2D can currently handle everything I can throw at it.

...I really can't picture a senario down the line where a 2.66 could run something a 2.4 could not, what with them being less than 300 MHz apart and using the same architecture. I definitely don't need the the extra HDD space, so going with the upgraded model would amount to paying over a dollar per MHz speed increase. Doesn't seem worth it?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Ah-ha! So now is probably a good time to buy.

Is there a notable performance difference between the 2.4 and the 2.66? It'd be stretching my budget a bit to opt for the 2.66, but if it's a hands-down superior machine, then I might consider it.

My only reason for going that route would be longevity. The 1.83 C2D can currently handle everything I can throw at it.

...I really can't picture a senario down the line where a 2.66 could run something a 2.4 could not, what with them being less than 300 MHz apart and using the same architecture. I definitely don't need the the extra HDD space, so going with the upgraded model would amount to paying over a dollar per MHz speed increase. Doesn't seem worth it?

Nah, there isn't much difference really. Putting a SSD in your machine will be much greater than upgrading the processor. Good luck!:D

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Nah, there isn't much difference really. Putting a SSD in your machine will be much greater than upgrading the processor. Good luck!:D

Thanks! And hey, I just figured out education buyers get a free 8 GB iPod touch starting today (I'm a grad student). Really great deal.

Also noticed this machine has 10 hr battery life, too. More than enough to hold me off on cross-country flights.

Keeps getting better and better. I think I'm pretty much locked in on this one...

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks! And hey, I just figured out education buyers get a free 8 GB iPod touch starting today (I'm a grad student). Really great deal.

Also noticed this machine has 10 hr battery life, too. More than enough to hold me off on cross-country flights.

Keeps getting better and better. I think I'm pretty much locked in on this one...

You can also get up to $300 off if your a student and you order online. Plus free shiiipppping if you order online too:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.