Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
I'd like to share my iPad with my family.

Is there a way to create multiple copies of apps (e.g. multiple copies of Mail or Safari or Calendar)?

Alternatively, is there some way to create multiple user accounts to achieve the same effect?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

Is there a way to create multiple copies of apps (e.g. multiple copies of Mail or Safari or Calendar)?

Alternatively, is there some way to create multiple user accounts to achieve the same effect?

Unfortunately no, it's an iPad, not a full blown computer with user logins, multi-user installs, etc.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
ventro said:

Well, I think you can achieve this to some degree by everybody using a different browser. Also, I think in mail, you can just add different accounts. I know with like gmail, I have 3 different accounts and it checks them all. Of course it doesn't keep the others out of each others account, but it could work.

Personally, I think they are cheap enough, just get a couple of them.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Well, I think you can achieve this to some degree by everybody using a different browser. Also, I think in mail, you can just add different accounts. I know with like gmail, I have 3 different accounts and it checks them all. Of course it doesn't keep the others out of each others account, but it could work.

Personally, I think they are cheap enough, just get a couple of them.

I don't think, I know. :)

You can't just add separate accounts as Mail in the iPad is not a multi-user installation. It also uses a SQLite3 database to store most functions which would affect how Safari operates as well. If you mean that you can set up Mail to check a Gmail Account, a MobileMe account, etc then sure, but then everyone can read each others email.

Your idea is intriguing but like you said, these devices are cheap enough that everyone can get their own, which was probably Apple's thought process in the first place. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.