Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26, 2010, 03:11 AM   #1
fpsBeaTt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Can one download files directly from internet to iPad

Hello gents
Title says most of it; to clarify, is there a way (via some form of app or dedicated iPad directory to allow this) to browse on the iPad and download a file directly to the iPad, natively and solely using the iPad without any external assistance?
fpsBeaTt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Tinnitusdoc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OMG he's german
Yes, there is.
Get the good reader app.

Then in your browser simply type the letter "g" in front of the http and press return.
The file will be downloaded into the good reader app.
Tinnitusdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 03:28 AM   #3
fpsBeaTt
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnitusdoc View Post
Yes, there is.
Get the good reader app.

Then in your browser simply type the letter "g" in front of the http and press return.
The file will be downloaded into the good reader app.
Excellent! Thankyou very much Just about to pre-order my iPad (since they're not being released in Australia till the 28th). Trying to decide between the 32GB and 64GB 3G versions. In anyone's experience, would I need the extra space? I plan to use this mostly as a laptop replacement.

btw, about good reader, I don't suppose if you download an mp3 or .mov using it that I can access it on the iPad without the help of my desktop facilities?
Again, I extend my gratitude.
fpsBeaTt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 04:14 AM   #4
crut
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsBeaTt View Post
Excellent! Thankyou very much Just about to pre-order my iPad (since they're not being released in Australia till the 28th). Trying to decide between the 32GB and 64GB 3G versions. In anyone's experience, would I need the extra space? I plan to use this mostly as a laptop replacement.

btw, about good reader, I don't suppose if you download an mp3 or .mov using it that I can access it on the iPad without the help of my desktop facilities?
Again, I extend my gratitude.
My father always says: go for the best you can with the money you've got.

I considered the 32Gb over the 64Gb, but then went for the 64Gb because I want to ram it chock full of media.

With GoodReader, the items downloaded are contained within the GoodReader app. If you download a movie, a music file, these will not be added the iPod or Videos app. So you will be able to access them, they will just be accessed like a file within a filesystem.

As for it replacing a laptop, the best experience would be to have a laptop/desktop and see the iPad as an extension to those.

Hope this helps.
crut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 04:55 AM   #5
Tinnitusdoc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OMG he's german
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsBeaTt View Post
Excellent! Thankyou very much Just about to pre-order my iPad (since they're not being released in Australia till the 28th). Trying to decide between the 32GB and 64GB 3G versions. In anyone's experience, would I need the extra space? I plan to use this mostly as a laptop replacement.

btw, about good reader, I don't suppose if you download an mp3 or .mov using it that I can access it on the iPad without the help of my desktop facilities?
Again, I extend my gratitude.
You're welcome

Mp3 and movies, unless you download directly via iTunes must go through your laptop.

One of my favorite apps is air video, let's you stream all your videos from your desktop (in any format!) to tour iPad/iPhone via wifi/3G.

And laptop replacement ... Well, I tried that for myself, but it doesn't quiet work, don't get me wrong, I thinks it's a fabulous device, but no direct printing, no easy word processing....
Like crut wrote, I use it as an extension for my computers (professionally and private use), mails, taking notes, scheduling appointments (synched via mobile me), research, simple filesystem, etc.

And I already ran into some problems because of lack of memory with my iPhone and some hard drives, so if possible I'd go for the 64.
Right now I have a 32 gig and about 10 gigs of free space and I have it for less than 20 days :

Hope you'll enjoy yours as I (and my kids) do mine.
Tinnitusdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 05:09 AM   #6
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
wow! what a cool feature! so glad that i walked across this thread

wonderful

airvideo - another thanks!
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by crut View Post
My father always says: go for the best you can with the money you've got.
But I bet he also says "waste not, want not" too. The 64GB iPad is not "better" than the other models, it just has more storage. Storage needs vary from person to person. I have a ton of stuff on my 32GB iPad- 5 movies, 50 apps, 6 books, a dozen PDF manuals. I haven't even broken 10GBs yet -- doubt I ever will.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 06:23 AM   #8
spammerhamster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Another option is iCab. An alternative browser (with tabs).

It allows you to download files to it's internal storage. These files can be sent to another app if you like (for instance goodreader for pdf, or a comic reader for comicfiles)

You can also grab those files with itunes when you connect your ipad.

Too bad it's webkit usage means that you can't upload those files you've downloaded (could be handy... if you download a torrent file, and then want to upload it to your downloadserver through the webinterface)
spammerhamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 06:26 AM   #9
crut
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
But I bet he also says "waste not, want not" too. The 64GB iPad is not "better" than the other models, it just has more storage. Storage needs vary from person to person. I have a ton of stuff on my 32GB iPad- 5 movies, 50 apps, 6 books, a dozen PDF manuals. I haven't even broken 10GBs yet -- doubt I ever will.
My iTunes music library is 25Gb alone.

Put some feature length iPad encoded videos on there at ~1Gb a pop, and suddenly you are out of space with 32Gb.

I've gone for the 64Gb due to the current storage requirements and future growth.

That being said, I've got a 2Tb HDD in my iMac and struggling to use more than about 600Gb of space.
crut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 08:13 AM   #10
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by crut View Post
My iTunes music library is 25Gb alone.

Put some feature length iPad encoded videos on there at ~1Gb a pop, and suddenly you are out of space with 32Gb.

I've gone for the 64Gb due to the current storage requirements and future growth.
Again, that is you. What is good for you isn't a perfect fit for all. For example, I do not keep any music on my iPad b/c it's already on my iPhone. If I'm out, I have my iPhone w/ me and may or may not have my iPad. If I'm home, I have a real stereo w/ real speakers playing lossless audio.

Video for me is coming out to about 1GB per hour. How many movies can I watch in a week? I don't have that much time. I rarely can even watch a movie straight though w/o getting some interruption.

Growth is, for me, a non-issue. By the time I would decide I need more space the 2011 models will be out. I don't buy gadgets w/ the intent on keeping them more than a year. It's a constant eBay and buy. I tell everyone I don't buy gadgets, I just self-finance leases.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 08:53 AM   #11
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
goodreader or downloader do what you ask.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 05:35 PM   #12
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by crut View Post
My iTunes music library is 25Gb alone.

Put some feature length iPad encoded videos on there at ~1Gb a pop, and suddenly you are out of space with 32Gb.

I've gone for the 64Gb due to the current storage requirements and future growth.

That being said, I've got a 2Tb HDD in my iMac and struggling to use more than about 600Gb of space.
only 600gb i have roughly 100GB of music and i only opted for the 16GB WiFi - i have an ipod for my music i dont need another device lol.
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD

Last edited by DoFoT9; May 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 05:56 PM   #13
Advil
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
whoa i had no idea goodreader could download from the internet!

this is officially the best 99 cents i've ever spent on an app
__________________
Advil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 09:32 PM   #14
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Top left corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
whoa i had no idea goodreader could download from the internet!

this is officially the best 99 cents i've ever spent on an app
GoodReader would be a bargain at 10x its current price.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac 1.8GHz i7 11" MacBook Air 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display
4TB RAID 10 8TB RAID 0 6TB RAID 0 2TB Time Capsule ac White/silver iPhone 5S & iPad Air
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 09:41 PM   #15
pondie84
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
only 600gb i have roughly 100GB of music and i only opted for the 16GB WiFi - i have an ipad for my music i dont need another device lol.
This is how I see it too. I have a fairly large (although not HUGE like some people seem to have - I delete stuff if I'm obviously never going to watch/listen to it again) media collection. It's NEVER going to all fit on the 64GB iPad so I'd have to pick and choose what to put on in any case.

Some people need to load their iPads with every piece of media they own... I don't see the point. I'll just be loading onto it what I think I'll use until I can sync again.

I've bought the 32GB but think I could've probably made do with the 16GB.

On topic Goodreader is a great app indeed. I don't use it as much as some people seem to, but it's good to have it there.
pondie84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 10:53 PM   #16
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondie84 View Post
This is how I see it too. I have a fairly large (although not HUGE like some people seem to have - I delete stuff if I'm obviously never going to watch/listen to it again) media collection. It's NEVER going to all fit on the 64GB iPad so I'd have to pick and choose what to put on in any case.

Some people need to load their iPads with every piece of media they own... I don't see the point. I'll just be loading onto it what I think I'll use until I can sync again.

I've bought the 32GB but think I could've probably made do with the 16GB.

On topic Goodreader is a great app indeed. I don't use it as much as some people seem to, but it's good to have it there.
woops i meant "i have my ipod for music" (not ipad).

i will only put the music i listen to mostly on - 16GB should cover that nicely. i have +1TB of movies and whatnot, so nothing will hold all that lol..

another vote for goodreader? nice i cant wait to check it out!
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:38 AM   #17
thomasjon
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Goodreader Rocks

Just learned a new trick last night. Sign up for a Dropbox Account, put a Torrent Folder and an NZB Folder in Dropbox. Have Sabnzbd and Transmission Monitor those folders. Then browse with Goodreader the Web for your favorite torrent or NZB files, download them paste into Dropbox and wala it is downloading automatically on your Main Computer. I have a mini media server running 24/7 at the house. Goodreader is the best app for the price.
thomasjon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 03:23 PM   #18
iLuvMyMacToo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
This may sound like a silly question but if you have Dropbox couldn't you save something from your iPad directly to there?
iLuvMyMacToo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:12 PM   #19
ausdan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
I have a question regarding downloading files with GoodReader. It works perfectly well if the webpage download link links directly to the file you want. However, what about sites like VersionTracker eg If I want to download TextSoap, I go to this page http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...acosx/10317290

However, if I click the "Download Now" link, it works on my computer's browser because it opens a new page and downloads the file there. However, it only downloads some sort of link using GoodReader. Is it possible to download files from this website on my iPad?

TIA
ausdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:40 AM   #20
pondie84
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdan;
I have a question regarding downloading files with GoodReader. It works perfectly well if the webpage download link links directly to the file you want. However, what about sites like VersionTracker eg If I want to download TextSoap, I go to this page http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...acosx/10317290

However, if I click the "Download Now" link, it works on my computer's browser because it opens a new page and downloads the file there. However, it only downloads some sort of link using GoodReader. Is it possible to download files from this website on my iPad?

TIA
Just tried it and it worked fine.
pondie84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:24 AM   #21
ausdan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Did you actually manage to download a complete file. If so, can you please post the links / steps you used.
ausdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:47 AM   #22
BreezyTown
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Uploading from iPad to internet

Best example:

I am trying to apply for a job and upload my resume...I have it saved in drop box but Internet doesnt even allow me to select the button that says "choose a file"

Is this even possible on my iPad or do I have to use my laptop for this?

Exact opposite action of what was originally asked.

Thanks much!!!!
BreezyTown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:26 PM   #23
err404
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyTown View Post
Best example:

I am trying to apply for a job and upload my resume...I have it saved in drop box but Internet doesnt even allow me to select the button that says "choose a file"

Is this even possible on my iPad or do I have to use my laptop for this?

Exact opposite action of what was originally asked.

Thanks much!!!!
iCab should do the trick for you. It has a download manager, supports uploading and integrates nicely with Dropbox or Goodreader.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:21 PM   #24
BreezyTown
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Icab

I assume you're referring to icab hd and not icab mobile. Correct me if I'm wrong....

If I'm right, they are asking for https server number...where can I find that number?
BreezyTown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:24 PM   #25
err404
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyTown View Post
I assume you're referring to icab hd and not icab mobile. Correct me if I'm wrong....

If I'm right, they are asking for https server number...where can I find that number?
iCab Mobile (Web Browser)
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Download mp3-files directly to iPhone jkarlsson iPhone 6 May 11, 2014 08:19 AM
I am interested in downloading email attachment files directly to my Ipad App. ron123pon iOS 5 and earlier 1 Jul 24, 2013 03:43 PM
Download torrent files directly on the iPad getstuff4less iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Jun 7, 2013 04:45 AM
Is there a way to directly upload .mts files to iPad 3? cherrymm30 iPad 5 Sep 10, 2012 05:00 AM
Can I download PDFs directly from the Internet to read in iBooks? Oragami iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Jul 20, 2012 11:30 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC