Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

131700-us_market_cap_leaders.jpg

In the less-than-three months since Apple first passed Wal-Mart to hold the third highest market capitalization among U.S. companies, Apple's stock price has continued to increase while second-place Microsoft has seen its shares drift downward. The combination of events has quickly closed the gap between the two companies, and today Apple finally surpassed Microsoft in market capitalization for the first time, although second-by-second fluctuations currently see the two companies frequently swapping positions.

Market capitalization is a popular metric for assessing the size of a company as a representation of the investing public's notion of the company's worth. The figure is derived by simply multiplying the number of outstanding shares of the company's stock by the share price.

131700-aapl_msft_3_months.jpg

In the case of Apple, slightly over 900 million shares outstanding times over $250 per share yields a market capitalization of about $228 billion. Microsoft, meanwhile, has a share price of only slightly over $26.00 but over 8.75 billion shares outstanding, giving it a nearly equal market capitalization to Apple.

With Apple and Microsoft now neck-and-neck, only Exxon Mobil's $282 billion market capitalization remains significantly ahead of Apple's among U.S. companies. Exxon Mobil's shares have dropped significantly over the past month, brining its market capitalization down from a high of over $325 billion.

Article Link: Apple Passes Microsoft to Become Second-Largest U.S. Company by Market Capitalization

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
This actually means that Apple's stock price is more scrutinized from now on. When you're at the top (at least in a sector) it's hard to find momentum to gain more ground. Microsoft has been flatlined for years. Let's hope the same doesn't happen to AAPL.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
This actually means that Apple's stock price is more scrutinized from now on. When you're at the top (at least in a sector) it's hard to find momentum to gain more ground. Microsoft has been flatlined for years. Let's hope the same doesn't happen to AAPL.

This.

Good for Apple though. They found a few new markets and dominated.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Good for them! It's only going to get more difficult from here though.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
So who's got the last laugh now, Winblows droids? Have you got enough crow? I have been saying this for a LONG time, that Apple would surpass MS SOONER than later!

So now is the perfect occasion for all MS fanboys to stop infesting this forum and spreading their FUD.

MS IS DEAD. AND SO IS GOOGLE.

Sent from my wonderful iPad!

P.s.: Tks for the news, Apple; today is my B-day..! ;)

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA

Microsoft hasn't bothered to try anything innovative for years. There is room to grow when you're willing to break new ground instead of resting on your laurels.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So there's even less reason to feel guilty exchanging your Mac if there's anything wrong with it such as a yellow tinted screen or dead pixels.

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Just wait till the next Q3 results! I just gave them $3800 for a Maxed out 15 inch i7 and Final Cut Pro

B1gMac

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
You guys, we need to get rid of the notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose.

It's just feels better this way. :-D

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
You guys, we need to get rid of the notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose.

It's just better when that's true. :)

I don't think Microsoft is losing and i don't think Apple has "beat" them either.

They are two huge companies that used to compete directly...but Apple has found its niche and Microsoft has continued theirs and added a few others.

Also, market cap isn't the end all be all judgment of a company. Its a part of the bigger pie. People love investing in Apple though because they are forward thinking. Microsoft has been stagnant in innovation....though they display some awesome stuff they rarely take it to market.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Wolfram|Alpha has a good graph.

Wolfram|Alpha is a wonderful tool.

The query (AAPL market cap) / (MSFT market cap) produces an accurate-as-of-yesterday number (last night, Apple was at 97.66% Microsoft,) plus a historic graph going back to 1986.

Interesting to note: Apple was worth more than Microsoft (up to 3 times more!) up until 1990. By 1998, Apple was worth about 1% what Microsoft was worth. Now Apple has achieved parity again.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

And Steve just called Bill to say "Ha ha!"

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
MS IS DEAD. AND SO IS GOOGLE.

I wouldn't call MS dead, as much as moribund. Either Ballmer is sweating though his coat or is in deep denial.

And the death of Google is greatly exaggerated. They pose the greatest threat to Apple. Is this the Pirates of Silicon Valley all over again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.