Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2004, 08:03 AM   #1
zagato27
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to zagato27
Question What's a good forum for teachers using Macs?

My better half is about to get her teaching degree (K1 to 5). Yippeee! We're running a G5 at home but the majority of school systems in the area run Windoze machines. She wants a laptop and I heartily agree. I was thinking a 14" iBook would fit the bill HOWEVER her friend's husband can get a Dell laptop for about $300. I don't know the model but it doesn't really matter I want to stay in the Apple family and have compatibility at home. She mentioned that the school system uses a program called "intergrade" and was worried that it would not be compatible with a Mac. I went to their homepage and found that it comes in both flavors: PC and Mac. I asked her to start asking other teachers what computers they are using, think she will be surprised at the number of Mac users. Anyway, I'm trying to find some forums where she can go to hear from other teachers. Any help would be appreciated. Also trying to find D'nealin font.....free. Cheers
Old Oct 9, 2004, 09:43 AM   #2
ChrisFromCanada
macrumors 65816

That dell will probably have and old desktop celeron processor and an crappy onboard video chip not to mention it will weigh over 10 pounds and be more than 2" thick. So comparing a brand new beautiful 14" ibook to an old crappy dell is not a very comparison. She will also qualify for the apple Edu. discount so she can get a couple hundred bucks knocked off the price of a new ibook.
30GB iPod Video
Sony DCR-PC105
ChrisFromCanada is offline   0
Old Oct 9, 2004, 09:53 AM   #3
zagato27
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to zagato27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromCanada
That dell will probably have and old desktop celeron processor and an crappy onboard video chip not to mention it will weigh over 10 pounds and be more than 2" thick. So comparing a brand new beautiful 14" ibook to an old crappy dell is not a very comparison. She will also qualify for the apple Edu. discount so she can get a couple hundred bucks knocked off the price of a new ibook.

Yes, agree. I'm aware of the Apple edu discount and would take advantage of that. Probably not an immediate problem as the laptop can wait till next fall. Still would like some input on teachers who are using Mac's and help sites. Thks again.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 11:44 AM   #4
WinterMute
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to WinterMute Send a message via MSN to WinterMute
Our entire Uni department (Music Tech) is Mac based, we run G5's and G4's in the office and nearly everyone has a PowerBook, we interface with the PC network and use the Exchange email server along with the rest of the Uni, we use Word and Excel for convenience and seem to have no problems.

As for forums or sites, your probably already on the best one on the net, in my experience this forum has all the people you need, and help is usually pretty quick in arriving.

I think there is a general lack of knowledge about Mac/PC interfacing form the PC side, so don't expect much help from the IT dept, but we have to do it everyday, and everyone here knows that Macs talk to PC and how to make it happen.

Ask your questions here, and buy the iBook.
WinterMute is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion