Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
My trusted iBook's HDD has died. How hard is it going to be to install a new hard drive for someone who's never been inside a computer of anykind in anyway?
Is it as simple as 1) Buy new HD 2) Undo a couple of screws 3) Unplug old and replace with new 4) Return screws and power up?

My data is safe on an external drive purchased a couple of weeks ago when the iBook began ticking and there's a new iMac on order so the iBook is being resurected as a spare. The reason for portibility is no longer an issue.
It's a 3year old 800mhz G3 that will need a new battery and an AP card to be of use to me. Is it worth saving??

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
mpw said:
My trusted iBook's HDD has died. How hard is it going to be to install a new hard drive for someone who's never been inside a computer of anykind in anyway?
Is it as simple as 1) Buy new HD 2) Undo a couple of screws 3) Unplug old and replace with new 4) Return screws and power up?

My data is safe on an external drive purchased a couple of weeks ago when the iBook began ticking and there's a new iMac on order so the iBook is being resurected as a spare. The reason for portibility is no longer an issue.
It's a 3year old 800mhz G3 that will need a new battery and an AP card to be of use to me. Is it worth saving??

It should be pretty easy to replace the hard drive (instructions will be in your manual and on Apple's site), but is it worth it to you? It sounds like you'd be better off waiting for the new Mac, putting the data you need onto it, and then installing and booting off OS X on the external hard drive. Laptop HDs can be expensive.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
replacing the internal hard drive of any ibook or current powerbook is VERY hard thing to do and i strongly recommend paying few bucks to apple authorized service and not do it yourself. and when you replace the hard drive, you might be better off replacing it with a fast one as the hard drive is the #1 bottleneck in any given system and you would get a nice speed boost by installing a 7200rpm drive for example.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
mpw,

While it's not easy to replace the HD in a white iBook, it's not all that hard either. There are plenty of instructions on the net, but the best one that I've found was at Cybergreg's website. This LINK will download the pdf file that you'll want to use.

The main thing is that you allot yourself a few hours and that you have the right tools. Take your time and don't strip any screws.

I purchased a Toshiba 40GB/5400RPM/16MB cache hard drive for a little over $100. I don't know how much HDs cost over in the UK, so you'll have to weigh the cost/benefits.

Good luck if you attempt it.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Thanks for the instructions ftaok. If I can find a suitable (cheap) HDD I'll give it a go and I'll at least be able to sell the iBook even if I can't find a use for it.
I'm toying with the idea of removing the LCD mounting it backwards in a (really) crude DIY housing and having it hung in the kitchen for DVD playback and internet access via AP. If I do I'll keep you all posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.