Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 9, 2004, 12:54 PM   #1
mpw

iBook needs new HDD

My trusted iBook's HDD has died. How hard is it going to be to install a new hard drive for someone who's never been inside a computer of anykind in anyway?
Is it as simple as 1) Buy new HD 2) Undo a couple of screws 3) Unplug old and replace with new 4) Return screws and power up?

My data is safe on an external drive purchased a couple of weeks ago when the iBook began ticking and there's a new iMac on order so the iBook is being resurected as a spare. The reason for portibility is no longer an issue.
It's a 3year old 800mhz G3 that will need a new battery and an AP card to be of use to me. Is it worth saving??
mpw is offline   0
Old Oct 9, 2004, 01:12 PM   #2
titaniumducky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw
My trusted iBook's HDD has died. How hard is it going to be to install a new hard drive for someone who's never been inside a computer of anykind in anyway?
Is it as simple as 1) Buy new HD 2) Undo a couple of screws 3) Unplug old and replace with new 4) Return screws and power up?

My data is safe on an external drive purchased a couple of weeks ago when the iBook began ticking and there's a new iMac on order so the iBook is being resurected as a spare. The reason for portibility is no longer an issue.
It's a 3year old 800mhz G3 that will need a new battery and an AP card to be of use to me. Is it worth saving??
It should be pretty easy to replace the hard drive (instructions will be in your manual and on Apple's site), but is it worth it to you? It sounds like you'd be better off waiting for the new Mac, putting the data you need onto it, and then installing and booting off OS X on the external hard drive. Laptop HDs can be expensive.

Go Nintendo! It's the Apple of video games!
titaniumducky is offline   0
Old Oct 9, 2004, 01:13 PM   #3
JFreak
macrumors 68040

replacing the internal hard drive of any ibook or current powerbook is VERY hard thing to do and i strongly recommend paying few bucks to apple authorized service and not do it yourself. and when you replace the hard drive, you might be better off replacing it with a fast one as the hard drive is the #1 bottleneck in any given system and you would get a nice speed boost by installing a 7200rpm drive for example.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 03:50 PM   #4
ftaok
macrumors 601

mpw,

While it's not easy to replace the HD in a white iBook, it's not all that hard either. There are plenty of instructions on the net, but the best one that I've found was at Cybergreg's website. This LINK will download the pdf file that you'll want to use.

The main thing is that you allot yourself a few hours and that you have the right tools. Take your time and don't strip any screws.

I purchased a Toshiba 40GB/5400RPM/16MB cache hard drive for a little over $100. I don't know how much HDs cost over in the UK, so you'll have to weigh the cost/benefits.

Good luck if you attempt it.
ftaok is offline   0
Old Oct 10, 2004, 07:01 AM   #5
mpw

Thanks for the instructions ftaok. If I can find a suitable (cheap) HDD I'll give it a go and I'll at least be able to sell the iBook even if I can't find a use for it.
I'm toying with the idea of removing the LCD mounting it backwards in a (really) crude DIY housing and having it hung in the kitchen for DVD playback and internet access via AP. If I do I'll keep you all posted.
mpw is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers