Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Barrons reports that one analyst is predicting that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer will be part of Steve Jobs' WWDC Keynote presentation.

According to Trip Chowdhry, an analyst with tiny Global Equities Research, 7 minutes of Steve Jobs' keynote is allotted for Microsoft. Microsoft will reportedly be talking about their development tool Visual Studio 2010. The new version of Visual Studio will reportedly allow developers to write native applications for the iPhone, iPad and Mac OS.

The move would be a big surprise given Apple and Microsoft's competitive history. In addition, the announcement of PC-based development suite for iPhone and Mac OS would be major announcement. At present, developers may only create iPhone and Mac OS applications from within Apple's own Xcode development suite which only runs on Macs.

Article Link: Microsoft's Steve Ballmer to Present During WWDC 2010 Keynote?

JakeTheMac

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
OMG! No WAY, No WAY!

Too Good To be true.

I love Visual Studio I made several desktop applications in it, its like flash but without the whole flash part. Its better than Xcode and Interface Builder if you know absolutely no code at all.

One of my friends who does design Apps says Xcode's better if you know how to code or else Visual Studio is easier. It would be cool to see and would definitely mean teams for mobile, Microsoft and Apple vs. Google and Adobe and HTC ETC. ETC.

AppEzzy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
When are analysts ever right :) Always seems they are sitting in an office somewhere throwing darts

DopeyFish

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Could also drop a bombshell like Office for iPad due in late 2010 / early 2011.

that combined with VS 2010 would be huge.

it would instantly make ipad an office tool. and native iphone OS support in VS 2010? VS 2010 is looking to be very very special as it is

Tamara

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
I think this would be great if it happens. Didn't SJ say, "It isn't necessary for Microsoft to lose for Apple to win."? Welcome to the party, Microsoft. Bring your best talent.

Hey, iPhone is using MS's Exchange server now, so the symbiosis already exists...

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Wow, Autocad and now Visual Studio for the Mac.
No, that's not what the article says.

The article is implying that Visual Studio on Windows PCs would generate code that could create iPhone app code. That said, this is some analyst blabbing, so the fact reporting could have been totally bungled.

JakeTheMac

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
Could also drop a bombshell like Office for iPad due in late 2010 / early 2011.

I don't think it would be a bombshell I imagine Office would incorporate printing at least. But I kind of like Office better than iWork. Apple is a creative company and is not good at business programs like iWork. Microsoft can't make a proper OS. :p

Wow, Autocad and now Visual Studio for the Mac.

Sounds like we better start getting Anti-Virus running. Steam moved over, Auto Cad thats a huge one, and Visual Studio!!!! I may have to turn my firewall on.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Apple + Microsoft > Google. Google is the enemy of both, and if Apple and Microsoft start putting their heads (and money) together, I think they can take out the Goliath, then go back to hating each other. Remember that old adage, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Google is just becoming a nuisance.

Supermunki

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
New Zealand
Great!

This is an excellent move, it should certainly get the FTC off Apple's back regarding the whole Flash CS5 cross-compiler debacle.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
This would be wrong on so many levels. At the very least, Ballmer's appearance could turn in to a public relations fiasco when he gets heckled by the Apple fanatics. Don't see anything good coming from this.

That said, I wish Ballmer good health and a LOOOOOONG tenure as CEO of MS. Couldn't be a better situation for Apple ~~~~~ :D

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
7 seconds

7 minutes... hmmm, no connection with Windows 7?

Anyway, it feels good. I can imagine the upset that some people experience now - these events need different guests.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Doubt it.
100% not happening. And if you think it is; don't be so stupid.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Wouldn't allowing Microsoft to make Visual Studio output iPad and iPhone apps break the developer agreement for iDevelopers? This just seems odd after the big fuss Jobs made about allowing others to create development tools that lag behind Apple's own and using that as part of their ammo to shoot down Adobe. Now just a few weeks later they're going to endorse MS doing it? Kinda confusing...

Not that I'm an Adobe/Flash fanatic - I agree with Jobs that letting Adobe (or anybody else for that matter) be a middle-man between Apple and iDevs is a bad idea, but to openly embrace MS software so soon after beating down Adobe? Something doesn't add up...

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This would be wrong on so many levels. At the very least, Ballmer's appearance could turn in to a public relations fiasco when he gets heckled by the Apple fanatics. Don't see anything good coming from this.

That said, I wish Ballmer good health and a LOOOOOONG tenure as CEO of MS. Couldn't be a better situation for Apple ~~~~~ :D

Ballmer can hold his own, have you ever seen that guy in action?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.