Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I just got (ok, work bought it for me) a brand new Powerbook G4 12", 1.33ghz, 768mb RAM, 80gb hard drive, SuperDrive. I must say, out of all of the Apple notebooks I've owned (so far I've owned 5 different ones), this one by far is the most solidly constructed, well made computer I've had.

Everything is very zippy...the computer wakes up from sleep faster than my last laptop, quicker response when I open programs, etc. Not one flaw...no dead pixels, no warping, the lid closes and locks properly. Battery life seems very good.

The only thing I'd add to this computer if I could would be the backlit keyboard. Other than that, I'm very pleased :cool:

lazymuoio

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
New York
congratulations on the new powerbook i agree on the backlight thing its a much needed addition what do you think about the heat it gives off?

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
lazymuoio said:
congratulations on the new powerbook i agree on the backlight thing its a much needed addition what do you think about the heat it gives off?

The heat really isn't bad...much better than the original 12".

Sitting on my lap, it doesn't get any more 'uncomfortable' than my old 15" AlBook got.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
MattG said:
The heat really isn't bad...much better than the original 12".

Sitting on my lap, it doesn't get any more 'uncomfortable' than my old 15" AlBook got.

I just got an original 12" a few weeks ago. It's a really nice machine but GOD THE HEAT :mad: I know what you mean...

By the by, as it's a work machine, can you customize it anyway you want? For example can you put your own software on it or install Linux, etc?

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
5300cs said:
I just got an original 12" a few weeks ago. It's a really nice machine but GOD THE HEAT :mad: I know what you mean...

By the by, as it's a work machine, can you customize it anyway you want? For example can you put your own software on it or install Linux, etc?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm the lone Mac person at work, so no one but me touches my computers. I use it for personal use too. Even if I did have my own personal software on it, no one would know the difference!

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
One thing I've noticed is that the fan seems to come on a lot more on the 12" than it did on the 15". Guess that's to be expected though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.