Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reinisbaab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Hi,

I really hope that you will help or at least try to help me with this one.

I just bought a DVB-T USB receiver. It is exactly this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8309

It comes bundled with Blaze HDTV Player software, and when I install drivers and run it with the appropriate software on Windows it works flawlessly. It is really good.

As you can see, it is a Chinese one with no exact manufacturer/name or whatever (there are also no details on the package). The only thing appearing under the "Devices" field in the player and "Device Manager" in Windows is: DVB-T: AF9015 BDA Filter
From this it is obvious that the USB device has a AF9015 chip. I did a little google research, and indeed there is such a chip used in many USB DVB-T devices. Indeed, the chip AF9015 is manufactured by a company called Afatech. This is what I see when I connect the USB device in my System Profiler:
screenshot20100527at164.png

From this we get that I have a Dongles with USB ID 15a4:9016 . (So the chipset might actually be AF9016 ?)

When I did some additional research, it seems that a company called Equiniux produces a USB stick called "Tubestick" and uses the same chip: AF9015. When I installed Equiniux's software "The Tube" my Chinese USB device actually appeared as "Tubestick" and allowed to search for channels. Unfortunately, the story ends there because the search does not happen.

So, as you might guess, I would love to run this peace of hardware on my mac. No Parallels Desktop or other VM - I want it native in mac. And as I see it, there are 2 options available: (1) Either we get this working in The Tube; (2) Get some special Mac drivers for this Afatech AF9015 chip; or try something else...

Actually, I do not care what kind of software to use, but I simply want to run it in Mac - let it be VLC or whatever.

So do you have any ideas to get this working? Is it even possible? What should I do?

Really big thank in advance!

Regards,
Reinis

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Maybe Elgato EyeTV would recognize it...I"m not sure, but if they have a free trial, it might be worth it. The software isn't bad.

Also, might try Boxee...not sure if it will work with a Tuner Card to record though.

Brian

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Did you happen to get it working? I am looking into getting a cheap DVB-T tuner as well to be able to watch the footie on my MBP while at work ;)

F-bone

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Generic DVB-T stick

Hi guys,

I also have a chinese dvb-t stick which works with Fuugo-TV software (rel 2.3.1) but my trial has expired. Is there a free alternative?

EyeTV is also a paid option but it is also not compatible with this stick.

BR,
F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.