Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 28, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Slrman
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to Slrman
Finder problems in 10.5.8

I have an older PowerBook. A 1 GHz G4 Titanium with OSX 10.5.8 installed. I have the Memory maxed at 1 GB and everything seems to be running well except a new problem has appeared in the Finder. When I try to Get Info either through right clicking and the pop-up menu or bu using Cmd+I, I get the rotating rainbow and then the Finder window closes without the Info window ever appearing.

When I try to open the Finder Preferences from the Menu, the same thing happens. All of this is preventing me from adjusting permissions and user access settings.

I've run the disk utilities and repaired preferences as well as verified the hard drive. All seems OK there, but the problem persists.

This is a new problem as I don't recall it happening earlier. I haven't added any software or upgraded the OSX, so, as my old aunt used to say, "Something has gone moofky foofky."

Anyone have any ideas? Gratitude is given in advance.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Slrman
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to Slrman
Found the problem

I had changed the language from English to Portuguese (I live in Brazil) in the System Preferences/International settings. Apparently the Portuguese language file was corrupted and somehow affecting the Finder. I changed back to English and everything is AOK.

If I had a 10.5 Install disk, I'd just re-install Leopard with Portuguese as the language. But I don't have the disk, so no joy there.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs