Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 29, 2010, 03:42 AM   #1
almonde
macrumors regular

Help with Softbank WiFi - Japan iPad users

I picked up a 32gb Wifi model in Yodobashi camera in Machida yesterday. Signed a few forms in japanese, eventually was able to buy one. The language barrier wasn't too much of a problem.

It came as a bonus to find it came with 2 years of free softbank wifi access

It seems i can use Mobilepoint and FON access points (access to FON is handy when i head back to Europe in a few months) Tried today in a cafe, the WEP key works to get onto the Mobilepoint SSID but then the login email address/password combo doesn't seem to work.

The username and password worked for the FON access point in the same cafe though.

Anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong?
almonde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 09:00 AM   #2
almonde
macrumors regular

Bump....

Surely there is someone here who has an iPad in japan and has read the softbank wifi envelope that was taped to every iPad box?

Any help appreciated...
almonde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 09:14 AM   #3
J&JPolangin
macrumors 68030

I haven't jumped on the iPad wagon yet... find the toll free (usually 0120) phone number and see if you can ring an English speaking customer service person...

FYI, the reason I don't have an iPhone here in Japan is they chose Softbank as their carrier but that problem dates back to the J-Phone days of crap service and support.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Lostinkyushu
macrumors newbie

Help - Softbank Wi-Fi (2 years) with my iPad

Hi there,

Just got my iPad delivered a few days ago. It's a wi-fi only model. It came with a letter from Softbank, with a login ID number, and Password. Apparently I get 2 years of wi-fi spot usage for free.

I went to McDonald's yesterday and found that the passwords I have here don't work. I could connect to mobilepoint. I could enter in my WEP Key. The next stage however was a little more tricky. My login ID and Password wouldn't work.

Am I supposed to activate them before I try to log on at any of the softbank wi-fi spots through softbank? Very confused at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.
Lostinkyushu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:56 AM   #5
Satoneko
macrumors member

softbank wifi connection

To use the Mobilepoint wifi service, you need a mail adress and a password from softbank. If you already have an iPhone, the mail address (xxxx@i.softbank.jp) and the the password that you got in the very beginning should work. Once you register, your iPad automatically connects to Mobilepoint whenever you walk into Macdonalds or wherever the service is available.*

If you don't have an iPhone from Softbank, you can get a free mail address by accessing the Softbank registration site. The instructions are on the paper that has the wep key. If you don't read Japanese, just go to the nearest Softbank Shop and have someone there register you.

To use FON, just enter the login id (xxxx@sbwifi.jp) and the password on the enter page. Unlike Mobilepoint, it seems you have to do this every time you want to connect to FON.

Good luck!
Satoneko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Future Blues
macrumors member

I called support about this very issue (because I just didn't read the whole letter, for some reason). You have to send an email from your Softbank cell phone (or some other address, if you don't have a softbank cell phone), click a link and then enter your PIN number and some other information that is on the letter under the 有効化 section. Basically, you have to activate the service first. The instructions are in Japanese on the letter that came with it. Pretty simple process, really.

Once you do so, you can just log in with your info and the wifi should work.
Future Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:06 AM   #7
abriwin
macrumors member

Buying iPad in Japan

I am going to Japan in September for a holiday. As I live in Portugal where the iPad is not available yet, should I wait till I get to Osaka or Kyoto before I buy one. I want it mainly for photography and emails via a browser.
Will there be any snags to buying one in Japan?
abriwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Satoneko
macrumors member

Re: Buying iPad in Japan

Buying *an iPad in Japan is ok as long as you stick to the wifi only model. DO NOT get the 3G model becuase the Japanese 3G iPad is infamous for being the only iPad in the world to be SIM locked.

The other snag is that if you get your iPad activated in Japan, everything will be in Japanese. Of course you can choose the language setting, but if you do not read Japanese, you may have a hard time navigating through the settings.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:55 AM   #9
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoneko View Post
Buying *an iPad in Japan is ok as long as you stick to the wifi only model. DO NOT get the 3G model becuase the Japanese 3G iPad is infamous for being the only iPad in the world to be SIM locked.

The other snag is that if you get your iPad activated in Japan, everything will be in Japanese. Of course you can choose the language setting, but if you do not read Japanese, you may have a hard time navigating through the settings.
Just to add...

It seems the waiting period for WiFi models is longer than 3G models based upon demand. At my local Yodobashi Camera shop, the waiting time for a 64Gb 3G model was 3-5 days where as the waiting time for a 64GB WiFi model was 3-4 weeks.

YMMV.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Se50ger
macrumors newbie

I also bought me the iPad but only got the Papers for the wifi registration in japanese. From which Email Account should i Write the Email? I guess the One which is written on the paper xxx@sbwifi.jp ???
But i Must configurate the Mail Account and therefore Need a pop3 and smtp?

Could someone please help me, ive been to 3 softbank Shops but they couldnt help me because of Language issues...
Se50ger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:16 AM   #11
J&JPolangin
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se50ger View Post
I also bought me the iPad but only got the Papers for the wifi registration in japanese. From which Email Account should i Write the Email? I guess the One which is written on the paper xxx@sbwifi.jp ???

Could someone please help me, ive been to 3 softbank Shops but they couldnt help me because of Language issues...
Do you have access to any of the Navy bases?

Yokosuka has a Soft Bank shop at the NEX, you could try calling that shop.

Sorry, I don't know the phone number and I'm not in my office today...
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:29 AM   #12
Satoneko
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se50ger View Post

Are you in an area with an Apple Store? There are Geniuses that speak English at Apple Stores in Shibuya and Ginza in Tokyo, and I think they can help you. I don't know about other stores.

I do agree the registration is very difficult if you don't understand Japanese.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad