Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Im buying my 15 "Mac book pro. Is it a good machine? For $3,600 I hope its good. Im debating.. Macbook pro or I pad?

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
You do not need to pay nearly 4 grand for any laptop, Apple or (definitely) otherwise. (I know a kid who spent 3 grand on a Dell laptop that my $1700 i5 MBP blows out of the water. Frickin' idiot.) Unless you need a 17" MBP with a 256 GB SDD, an i7 processor and 8 GB, which I highly doubt because you mentioned the iPad as an alternative. Buy what you need from a reseller, sans the RAM and HDD, buy your own RAM and HDD and either replace those yourself or have a computer savvy friend do it for you if you need extra RAM and/or extra hard disk space.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
Purchase a refurbished MBP C2D. It will work great for your need, and you can have enough money left over to buy a huge SSD + software

exe163

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
The fact that you upgrade from Apple instead of DIY makes the computer a lot more expensive that it should. Most of the cost of high end computer today fits in the SSD category. You only get 40GB of good NAND per $100.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Thats the price. Im not getting Aperture either

Configuration

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Accessory kit

$2,778

Remote $19

AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro $349

TAX $271

TOTAL $3417

nconnella

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Configuration

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Accessory kit

$2,778

Remote $19

AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro $349

TAX $271

TOTAL $3417

If you're in the U.S. you need to learn to deal hunt. You are waisting a ton of money paying that much.

#1 Buy from an online resaler and avoid sales tax - $271 saved
#2 Buy Applecare off Ebay for $130 - $210 saved
#3 Buy your RAM upgrade somewhere else - not sure how much, but you will save.

That alone will save you about $600 and you're just as protected as if you bought it right from Apple :)

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
If you're in the U.S. you need to learn to deal hunt. You are waisting a ton of money paying that much.

#1 Buy from an online resaler and avoid sales tax - $271 saved
#2 Buy Applecare off Ebay for $130 - $210 saved
#3 Buy your RAM upgrade somewhere else - not sure how much, but you will save.

That alone will save you about $600 and you're just as protected as if you bought it right from Apple :)

great advice :)

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Im buying my 15 "Mac book pro. Is it a good machine? For $3,600 I hope its good. Im debating.. Macbook pro or I pad?

MBP or iPad? Is this even a question? Do you have any idea what you're even buying? I'm assuming no since you're asking for a wireless plan for the MBP. Learn more about what you're buying before throwing down $3,600 for a computer (that doesn't have wireless upgrades. What were you even thinking?) and upgrades you can most definitely find somewhere else for much cheaper just by doing a simple Google search.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
This is from the Apple store on line. The price is the price. Im new to the Laptop world, So please be easy on me. I Have a monster Dell at home that runs Windows 7 which is awesome. I know the Macbook pro is better than an IPAD. That was a stupid question. Im just conflicted right now if it is worth the money for a MBP or should i buy an ipad. Ill be using this for basically for work. Working security 12-8 am gets lonely.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
No need to pile everything on right away. You may find the 4GB plenty as far as memory goes. You also have one year to purchase Applecare, which can be had on eBay for a lot less as has been mentioned. You may want to consider the i5 also. The baseline system has plenty of horsepower. Try it out and if you think you want to spend more, get an SSD and not more memory. If this is your first laptop, decide whether you want portability or a desktop replacement. I'd get the base model i5 and work some upgrades later (SSD, Applecare, etc).

hzamani

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
If you're working security and that's it, I HIGHLY doubt you need all those upgraded specs.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It sounds like you could easily just get the base model, and for half the price, it would do exactly what you need it to. I don't know what you could possibly need those specs for, unless you are doing heavy photoshop and final cut editing, while working. There is no game that you could play that would actually benefit seriously from getting all of that. Now, I'm not saying don't get it, but seriously consider exactly how much computer that is. I play some light/medium games on my 13" C2D MacBook (not even pro), and it still performs pretty well even with only the 9400m graphics.

It would be very helpful to know exactly what you want to do with it before you go spending 3 grand plus on a laptop as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.