Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 29, 2010, 11:51 AM   #1
w...b
macrumors regular

Can you upload your own ebooks onto the iPad?

I just got mine yesterday. Testing out the 16g and maybe getting a 3G later.

The real reason I got it was so that I could upload my numerous ebooks on to it so I can read on the go. I haven't fully played around with it on iTunes yet but I just wanted to check on here first.

Wade
w...b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 11:52 AM   #2
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

As long as they're not DRMed, yes. Just import them into iTunes and then sync your device and your books will show up in iBooks.
DannySmurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Frado
macrumors member

How about cover arts? I imported some books( from stanza eventually) in my iTunes, but some don't have cover arts( I downloaded some cover arts in Stanza, appearantly they weren't exported).
How to fix cover arts? Can't look for them on iTunes, or will iBooks try to find it?
Frado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 11:58 AM   #4
CristobalHuet
macrumors 65816

The ultimate app for encoding eBooks is "Calibre". They even have a specific iPad setting and allow you to remove the first image, set metadata, cover art, build tables of contents/chapters and other goodies.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

I've had success while using some .lit files and even reformatting existing .epub files.

A word of caution though: PDF to ePub is terrible. I've got some books in PDF that I can't turn into ePub to read on iPad, so for those, I'll go with Goodreader.
CristobalHuet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 12:35 PM   #5
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristobalHuet View Post
The ultimate app for encoding eBooks is "Calibre". They even have a specific iPad setting and allow you to remove the first image, set metadata, cover art, build tables of contents/chapters and other goodies.

I've had success while using some .lit files and even reformatting existing .epub files.

A word of caution though: PDF to ePub is terrible. I've got some books in PDF that I can't turn into ePub to read on iPad, so for those, I'll go with Goodreader.
Last I checked, you could import PDF books into iTunes as well.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:37 PM   #6
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristobalHuet View Post

I tried using Calibre but it was crazy slow, I think after 2 hours of it being on 1% converted I gave up on it.
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 01:28 PM   #7
CristobalHuet
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySmurf View Post
Last I checked, you could import PDF books into iTunes as well.
SERIOUSLY? *runs to check*

EDIT: nyet. Not working, I'm pretty positive it only takes ePUB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
I tried using Calibre but it was crazy slow, I think after 2 hours of it being on 1% converted I gave up on it.
Really? It takes a few minutes to batch convert a dozen or so books for me. That doesn't sound normal in your case.
CristobalHuet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 01:34 PM   #8
awmazz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Can you upload your own ebooks onto the iPad?
As easily as command-O.

iTunes automatically puts them into Books and syncs them to iBooks.
awmazz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 01:36 PM   #9
alecgold
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I did 369 books with it and iirc it took around an hour. Not bad I would say.
alecgold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Frado
macrumors member

for PDF you'll need GoodReader
Frado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 01:45 PM   #11
iserian
macrumors 6502

Yep - as others have said you can add your art work in Calibre and export as epub directly into I-tunes - Your cover art should follow.
iserian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 03:33 PM   #12
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

I was on a laptop at work, so maybe thats why, keep in mind that these are 300mb textbook scans. I played with it today and was able to convert one of them in a reasonable amount of time on my more powerful home desktop. I synced it into ibooks.

It looks horrible, ibooks doesn't pick up the text so you can't change font, font size, background, etc. It's pretty bad, but yes it is doable. I'd much rather read em in iannotate.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:15 AM   #13
MrDouglas
macrumors newbie

Book cover proportions

Is there anyone who knows what book cover proportions the iBook covers has? Here in Sweden we only have the books from Project Gutenberg, and as you all know the cover art is not that awsome for those books...

Regards,
Douglas
MrDouglas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 08:04 AM   #14
fandsw
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDouglas View Post
Is there anyone who knows what book cover proportions the iBook covers has? Here in Sweden we only have the books from Project Gutenberg, and as you all know the cover art is not that awsome for those books...

Regards,
Douglas
I just grabbed the cover art from Amazon.com's site, and they match Apple's ebooks perfectly.
iPod Video 80GB | iPod Nano 2GB
fandsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 08:08 AM   #15
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Then something is wrong with the file you are trying to convert. Either it has DRM or some weird formatting. Calibre takes about 2-4 min w/ a good file.
Old May 30, 2010, 08:50 AM   #16
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Then something is wrong with the file you are trying to convert. Either it has DRM or some weird formatting. Calibre takes about 2-4 min w/ a good file.
Yeah its not bad at all, I think it was my work laptop that was slow.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:09 AM   #17
sracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frado View Post
How about cover arts? I imported some books( from stanza eventually) in my iTunes, but some don't have cover arts( I downloaded some cover arts in Stanza, appearantly they weren't exported).
How to fix cover arts? Can't look for them on iTunes, or will iBooks try to find it?
You can set the cover art for books just like you set the cover art for music. Right-click on the book, Get info, Artwork.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 01:20 PM   #18
DannySmurf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristobalHuet;
SERIOUSLY? *runs to check*

EDIT: nyet. Not working, I'm pretty positive it only takes ePUB.
Hmm, strange. I could have swore I tried that when I got my iPad. It was slow as he'll, but I'm sure I worked. Ah well, Calibre works too, usually.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 03:36 PM   #19
lorrainec
macrumors newbie

importing to itunes from sony ereader library

I purchase books for my sony ereader and have always used the sony software - reader library. But I can't import epub books to itunes from the reader library - no error message, just no action. Has anyone tried this?
lorrainec is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad