Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:20 PM   #1
macjoshua
macrumors regular

Good monitor for graphic design. Which would you get?

I'm looking at a bunch of different monitors to go with my 2014 rMBPP. I do mostly web design and coding, but also pick up the occasional print project. Here are the ones I'm considering:
  • Apple Thunderbolt Display
  • NEC PA272W
  • NEC EA244UHD - because 4k would be sweet
  • Asus PA279Q

Any other suggestions? Which would you go with?

Last edited by macjoshua; Nov 8, 2014 at 12:02 AM.
macjoshua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:45 AM   #2
jdphoto
macrumors 6502

Unless you need really specific color for your print work, I would go with the Asus PA279Q. The Thunderbolt display is a bit to expensive for what you would get from it. You could go with the 4k option, but I'm not sure how the colors would look on that monitor.
jdphoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 AM   #3
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

I do just fine with the 27" monitor that came with my iMac.

Best part ... it includes a computer.

citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2014, 01:42 PM   #4
sigmadog
macrumors 6502

I'd have difficulty justifying a 4K monitor for that work. Also, (asking because I don't know) can the rMBP push all those pixels?

sigmadog.com
sigmadog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2015, 09:23 PM   #5
grandM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjoshua View Post
I'm looking at a bunch of different monitors to go with my 2014 rMBPP. I do mostly web design and coding, but also pick up the occasional print project. Here are the ones I'm considering:
  • Apple Thunderbolt Display
  • NEC PA272W
  • NEC EA244UHD - because 4k would be sweet
  • Asus PA279Q

Any other suggestions? Which would you go with?
The dell u2713h is made for graphic workers I have heard
It has 10 bits and so but I am no expert
grandM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:26 AM   #6
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

I think of your list that the NEC is the "top" model.

Asus, Dell and a few others have some excellent models that while a bit less on the specs should make most folks happy for doing graphics. I would throw the Apple in at last place for price and performance. (the ports are nice but its about the display)

As for 4K, very sweet but you have to figure if you really get an advantage for the price. I have had Dells, HP's upper line, iMacs, Appl3 30" cinema and NEC. I'll say for my needs the NEC PA series is simply brilliant. The Dells while again less on the line with respect to specs, was a really excellent choice at a more user friendly price. For me, I'll always stick with the NEC's in the future unless they pull an Apple and keep the price high and castrate the offering (much like the Mac Mini).
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:52 PM   #7
FCM
macrumors newbie

Large touch screen monitors for Mac

Anyone know of a large touch screen monitor (36" to 46") that works with mac OS 10.9.5?

FCM
FCM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2015, 02:09 AM   #8
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandM View Post
The dell u2713h is made for graphic workers I have heard
It has 10 bits and so but I am no expert
It's an old post, but I think it's important to correct this. 10 bits is not meaningful. 10 bit out requires support at several levels, including the operating system, the application level, and your graphics card. Apple has never supported this feature at the OS level. They have never developed or implemented gpu drivers in OSX with those features. The application developers can't even start to do so without the underlying details. As for 10 bit panels, NEC uses them in some of the PA displays. They might make some difference in gradation depending on how well it is implemented, but you won't have a real 10 -> 10 -> 10 bit path (application to framebuffer to display) per color channel.

That being said a display is only part of it. It's just that it can alleviate a lot of headaches, even for web work. A client's display may be off in any number of ways, and that may differ from client to client. Having some small measure of consistency with your own, as well as a display that has some support for tracking overall drift can be very helpful, even if it it doesn't represent a full solution to consistent color.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics