Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old May 29, 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
birdhouse1575
macrumors newbie

Powermac G3 B&W - Two HD's Won't Install Tiger

Maxtor

I've had a 30GB Maxtor hard drive in this powermac. I've been able to install Mac OS 8.6 and it worked perfectly, but when I install Tiger, I get passed the first CD and it reboots to either: an apple logo, no spinning circle, then a black box over the apple; -or- the apple logo and spinning circle which doesn't go away; -or- the apple logo and spinning circle, and then a bunch of lines of text are displayed on the screen.

So every one of my attempts to install Tiger results in a kernel panic, except the first, which I was able to install successfully with both discs, setup my account and got to my OS X desktop... then the computer shut down, I turned it on again, and the kernel panic message displayed over the apple logo.

Western Digital

I also have a 80GB Western Digital drive. When I try to install either OS 8.6 or Tiger, the installer always results in some variation of the "Please try installing again" message. Basically, it doesn't work. For what reason, again, I have no clue.

edit: Disk Utility brings up that this drive, when attempted to be repaired: "Volume Bit Map needs minor repair".

What I've done so far...

- Formatted these drives with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formats multiple times, trying both one partition and two.
- Zapped PRAM.
- Open firmware and reset-nvram, set-defaults, and reset-all.

I doubt those last two did anything, but still did them nonetheless.

This has been killing me for days.
Any advice please?

Last edited by birdhouse1575; May 29, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
birdhouse1575 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:45 PM   #2
zen.state
Banned

Do you have the beige G3 tower or the blue and white? Tiger will not install on a beige without some extra help with xpostfacto.

Another note.. from past experience with WD drives on powermac G3's. Use the "single" jumper setting if you have just one on the bus ever. For some reason they get data corruption when simply set to master without a slave. Thats the experience myself and a few others had on both beaige and blue and white when I looked for help back then which was around 99.
zen.state is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:56 PM   #3
birdhouse1575
macrumors newbie

Oh, it's B&W.
birdhouse1575 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4
rickvanr
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to rickvanr Send a message via AIM to rickvanr Send a message via MSN to rickvanr Send a message via Yahoo to rickvanr
It's been a while, but I think there was a firmware update or something for the B&Ws for OS X with 8.6

I could be mistaken though, but try googling around
Old May 31, 2010, 12:22 PM   #5
zen.state
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvanr View Post
It's been a while, but I think there was a firmware update or something for the B&Ws for OS X with 8.6

I could be mistaken though, but try googling around
Good point.

Check system profiler and be sure you're running version 1.1 of the B&W firmware. It's a must do for any version of OS X.
zen.state is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs