Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Hi, my iPad is not charging through the wall charger it says 10% and it shows no indication that its charging (or not) when it's plugged in, it just stays the same. I think it's charging though, because when the battery depleted and it shows the battery and the lightning bolt sign (telling you to charge it,) it recognizes when I plug it in and just shows the lightening bolt (meaning its being powered.) Any thoughts? Should I just take it in to the Apple store for a new one? Thanks!

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
Found this advice on the apple support boards in response to someone who couldn't charge their iPad through USB or adapter and this resolved their issue. Hope it helps.

You probably tried this, but just in case, hold down both the Home button and the Lock/Sleep button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Keep holding down through that "Slide to power off" notice. It may take more than ten seconds. When the logo appears, let go of the buttons and it will do a "cold" (full) reboot. You'd be surprised at how many problems this procedure solves.

mac17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Found this advice on the apple support boards in response to someone who couldn't charge their iPad through USB or adapter and this resolved their issue. Hope it helps.

Thanks, I tried this already, as well as reseting it.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
There wasn't any other useful information in the Apple support thread so I don't have anything else to suggest unfortunately. Think it's worth a trip to the Apple store if you don't have far to go or wait and see if anyone here comes up with anything else.

dundonald

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
doon the walk
I had the same problem. I tried everything from changing fuses, hard resets etc but
came to the conclusion the wall charger was DOA. It charged, albeit slowly,
with the 1A 3gs wall charger.
Apple have sent me a new one so we'll see how that goes.

mac17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
I had the same problem. I tried everything from changing fuses, hard resets etc but
came to the conclusion the wall charger was DOA. It charged, albeit slowly,
with the 1A 3gs wall charger.
Apple have sent me a new one so we'll see how that goes.

THANK YOU!!! i tried my 3gs charger and it WORKS! :D

dundonald

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
doon the walk
No problem.
Now, of course, you are going to be figgeting for hours longer
waiting for the damn thing to charge! Took 4 hours to get to 48% :eek:

You do feel a complete idiot with that amazing, go anywhere experience tethered to a wall.

Anyway I'm off to try and pry the pad out of my 5 year olds hands.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Are you using a USB port? That could be the problem.

Check the circuit breakers in the house. You probably blew one.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
No problem.
Now, of course, you are going to be figgeting for hours longer
waiting for the damn thing to charge! Took 4 hours to get to 48% :eek:

You do feel a complete idiot with that amazing, go anywhere experience tethered to a wall.

Anyway I'm off to try and pry the pad out of my 5 year olds hands.

Wow! Some people are way more daring than I am. I wouldn't even think of letting a small child play with my iPad. Small children just have no concept of the value of things and will think nothing of cracking it on the floor or the wall or upside a sibling's head. You are a brave man. I hope you got SquareTrade insurance ;)

By the way, there was a post today where some guy was crying that his 2 year old smashed the screen on his iPad. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, but I would let a child under 10 even touch my iPad.

Niubi

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Stupid design

New apple user and got an ipad, while my gf uses an iphone. Both chargers look exactly the same. Of course at some point we mixed them up, and for some days i was worried as i got the "not charging" message on my ipad and noticed that when switching it off i could get a half charge during one night.

Little did i know that even though looking identical the chargers are actually quite different... Couldn't they come up with a better design at apple??

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
New apple user and got an ipad, while my gf uses an iphone. Both chargers look exactly the same. Of course at some point we mixed them up, and for some days i was worried as i got the "not charging" message on my ipad and noticed that when switching it off i could get a half charge during one night.

Little did i know that even though looking identical the chargers are actually quite different... Couldn't they come up with a better design at apple??

The iPad charger is clearly marked "10W USB Power Adapter" on one side.

Mark it with an "X," or an "i" - or whatever identifier you choose - that should avoid further issues.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The iPad charger is clearly marked "10W USB Power Adapter" on one side.

Ummm, well, I wouldn't exactly say CLEARLY. I am 42 years old and granted, my eyesight is not what it used to be, but dang!

I agree those adapters should not look the same if they don't function the same...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
To the top 3 posts:

How do they look the same? My iPad 2 charger and iPhone 4 charger are 2 different sizes. :confused:

Niubi

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Ahm

To the top 3 posts:

How do they look the same? My iPad 2 charger and iPhone 4 charger are 2 different sizes. :confused:
I held them upside down, left and right, and they looked absolutely identical to me. But yeah, on the fine print they are very clearly marked "10w" charger and " iphone charger"...
It is really too stupid of anyone not to know that two products from the same company serving the same purpose (charging) and looking and feeling exactly the same are in fact completely different.
But hey, rant over, i bought the iphone for my gf because i so wanted the ipad i originally bought for her... And i still absolutely adore it.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I held them upside down, left and right, and they looked absolutely identical to me. But yeah, on the fine print they are very clearly marked "10w" charger and " iphone charger"...
It is really too stupid of anyone not to know that two products from the same company serving the same purpose (charging) and looking and feeling exactly the same are in fact completely different.
But hey, rant over, i bought the iphone for my gf because i so wanted the ipad i originally bought for her... And i still absolutely adore it.

gf has red nail polish? Put a dot of it on her iphone charger.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

I guess you don't understand. My iPhone charger looks like the first image while my iPad one is the second. They are 2 different sizes. Are your chargers the same size?

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 43,290
  • ipad_stock.jpg
    ipad_stock.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 45,251

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I guess you don't understand. My iPhone charger looks like the first image while my iPad one is the second. They are 2 different sizes. Are your chargers the same size?

Mine were. Before the cute ones on the left came out they all looked like the ones on the right. It may have been from an older iPhone or iPod in my case. I still use it to charge other stuff that only needs 1W.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Mine were. Before the cute ones on the left came out they all looked like the ones on the right. It may have been from an older iPhone or iPod in my case. I still use it to charge other stuff that only needs 1W.

Ahh, thank you. I only joined when the 3G came out and mine have always been the "cute" ones. Thanks for clearing that up.

Niubi

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011

I bought the iPhone 4 just two weeks ago, and yes, the charger is absolutely identical (like the right one in the picture above) to the iPad's.

actually, when unpacking the iPhone, I was delighted to see that the charger is (apparently) the same, and thought "how great of apple not to have a proprietary charger for everything, how convenient, how user friendly..."

turns out not to be so at all... :mad:

btw i live in china currently, looks like they don't have those cute little chargers over here. :(

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Some advice to original poster.

- Double check that the original charger was indeed the 10W iPad charger

- If it is the "folding prong" type, fold and unfold the prongs a couple of times to rub off any corrosion that might have formed.

- If it has the detachable prongs, (multi-country type), slide them off the adapter brick, and slide them back on.

- Unplug the cable from the adapter itself, make sure there's no lint or debris blocking one of the pins.

- Inspect the 30 pin connector that plugs into your iPad for lint/dirt.

- Check the cable in between the brick and the iPad, swap it with the cable that came with your 3GS charger brick. (The cables for all of the adapters after the original iPhone are the same, just the adapter bricks themselves changed.)

Since you are getting some kind of signal from the original adapter (as you said you get the lightning icon over the battery), it's possible that there is a bad connection somewhere along the line sucking juice. That's why I focused my suggestions on the various mechanical connections.

Your 3GS adapter is only 5 Watts if I'm not mistaken. It will charge your iPad, but very slowly, and I do not believe it will be able to "top-off" your charge like the 10W adapter will.

If it still doesn't work after all of the above, bring the adapter to an Apple store. (walk up to the Genius Desk) They might replace it for you for free. if not, an extra adapter is fairly cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.