Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1
kdesign7
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: earth, for now.
Send a message via ICQ to kdesign7 Send a message via AIM to kdesign7 Send a message via MSN to kdesign7
How to Restore iPad after Jailbreaking.

I tried a few searches and wasn't getting any answers.

How do you restore after you Jailbreak your iPad?

I backed up my SHSH Blob, and I have a file on my desktop that is about 65kbs. How do I use this file to restore to factory settings? Any help would be GREATLY appreciate folks!
__________________
I've dreamed of dreaming dreams, I find myself awake. - T. Kelland
27-inch iMac - WiFi 32GB iPad 2 (JB) - 16GB iPhone 4 Titanium
kdesign7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 01:09 PM   #2
heniu
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
just click restore in itunes ... Tell also what method u used to jb.
heniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
The General
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
It sounds like you're over complicating things.

1. forget everything you've done and delete that file.
2. press restore in iTunes
3. jailbreak by opening Spirit and clicking the jailbreak button
4. Open cydia and it will backup your shsh for future use

Once Apple releases a firmware update and stops signing 3.2 for iPad, then you'll need to add this to your hosts file which will allow you to restore to 3.2 if you need to.

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

If all you want to do is restore to factory settings, what made you think you needed a file of any kind other than 3.2 for iPad .ipsw? Just click restore in iTunes.
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 06:53 PM   #4
kdesign7
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: earth, for now.
Send a message via ICQ to kdesign7 Send a message via AIM to kdesign7 Send a message via MSN to kdesign7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
It sounds like you're over complicating things.

1. forget everything you've done and delete that file.
2. press restore in iTunes
3. jailbreak by opening Spirit and clicking the jailbreak button
4. Open cydia and it will backup your shsh for future use

Once Apple releases a firmware update and stops signing 3.2 for iPad, then you'll need to add this to your hosts file which will allow you to restore to 3.2 if you need to.

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

If all you want to do is restore to factory settings, what made you think you needed a file of any kind other than 3.2 for iPad .ipsw? Just click restore in iTunes.
Thanks for ur reply!
Ok, I see the Restore Feature in iTunes, and I know how to do that. (it will then download a 400MB or so file in iTunes)

I used the Spirit Jailbreak for the iPad, and I used Umbrella (fw-umbrella-semaphore-223d to be exact) which them created a *.SHSH file on my desktop, (I chose where to save it). When I open the file in TextEdit, it contains a lotta format stuff.. and numbers and jibberish that makes no sense to me.

Ok, so what your saying is... this.

Restore the iPad within iTunes. Re-jailbreak with Spirit, then as soon as I use Cydia, use the feature that will backup my SHSH? then I should be fine no matter what, in the future if I need to restore back to factory settings?!

I appreciate your time... honestly... I do. I've jailbreaked my iPod Touch before, and I had no issues what so ever, and Ive never heard of SHSH before either, so I just want to make sure that Im covering all my bases so that in any event, I can restore, rejailbreak, restore.. etc..etc.. cause u never know.
__________________
I've dreamed of dreaming dreams, I find myself awake. - T. Kelland
27-inch iMac - WiFi 32GB iPad 2 (JB) - 16GB iPhone 4 Titanium
kdesign7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 12:27 PM   #5
The General
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
The SHSH file is worthless in your possession. It needs to be on Jay Freeman's signature server and you need to point iTunes at it instead of Apple in order to downgrade.

If all you want to do aT any given time is restore your iPad so that it is not jailbroken, you can simply hit restore in iTunes. You do not need your SHSH backed up for that.

This sfuff is only good for downgrading your iPad. Right now, there's only one version of iPad firmware so you really don't need to worry about it.

All you have to do is open Cydia on your iPad and it will take care of your SHSH. When it comes time to downgrade, just read this blog post from Jay Freeman.

http://www.saurik.com/id/12
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:59 AM   #6
jeniyeh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
The SHSH file is worthless in your possession. It needs to be on Jay Freeman's signature server and you need to point iTunes at it instead of Apple in order to downgrade.

If all you want to do aT any given time is restore your iPad so that it is not jailbroken, you can simply hit restore in iTunes. You do not need your SHSH backed up for that.

This sfuff is only good for downgrading your iPad. Right now, there's only one version of iPad firmware so you really don't need to worry about it.

All you have to do is open Cydia on your iPad and it will take care of your SHSH. When it comes time to downgrade, just read this blog post from Jay Freeman.

http://www.saurik.com/id/12


i downloaded the iOS 4.3.3 as an ipsw file and i tried restoring via itunes but i got error 3194 then i got error 1604, so i used tinyumbrella and iREB to fix those errors and it worked but at the end of the restore i got a message from itunes saying that my ipad was restored and it should appear on the screen but it didn't and instead i got another message saying that itunes detects an ipad in recovery and it needs restoring :/ also my ipad is stuck in DFU mode. I'll be forever grateful if you can fix this
jeniyeh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:14 PM   #7
jacobson00
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeniyeh View Post
i downloaded the iOS 4.3.3 as an ipsw file and i tried restoring via itunes but i got error 3194 then i got error 1604, so i used tinyumbrella and iREB to fix those errors and it worked but at the end of the restore i got a message from itunes saying that my ipad was restored and it should appear on the screen but it didn't and instead i got another message saying that itunes detects an ipad in recovery and it needs restoring :/ also my ipad is stuck in DFU mode. I'll be forever grateful if you can fix this
did you fix it?
__________________
Ipod touch 2ng gen/Mac book Pro 2010 13'/-Ipad 2 white Wifi
jacobson00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:29 AM   #8
Jojne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Asking BEFORE restoring

Hi! I thought I'd post my plan for restoring my iPad BEFORE attempting to do it, so I don't mess anything up.

Here are my details:
Running windows vista
iPad - version 4.2.1 - Jailbroken with redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc8
iTunes - version 10.1.2.17

Here is my plan:
  1. Upgrade iTunes to newest version
  2. Download the newest jailbreakable firmwire for the iPad
  3. Open iTunes and do shift+restore, selecting the downloaded firmwire

Will this give me a newer firmwire and at the same time removing the jailbreak?

Is there another way to upgrade my firmwire without restoring the ipad?
Jojne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Dav1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojne View Post
Hi! I thought I'd post my plan for restoring my iPad BEFORE attempting to do it, so I don't mess anything up.

Here are my details:
Running windows vista
iPad - version 4.2.1 - Jailbroken with redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc8
iTunes - version 10.1.2.17

Here is my plan:
  1. Upgrade iTunes to newest version
  2. Download the newest jailbreakable firmwire for the iPad
  3. Open iTunes and do shift+restore, selecting the downloaded firmwire

Will this give me a newer firmwire and at the same time removing the jailbreak?

Is there another way to upgrade my firmwire without restoring the ipad?
If it was me, I would download, iFaith 1.4.1 and save your existing SHSH, before doing anything else. If they are not saved with TinyUmbrella version 5.10.6 do that first! Then iFaith, to save your existing firmware.

After you complete that step, then upgrade your iTunes.
Then backup your iPad. Record account details for email passwords and usernames.

You have an iPad, so the baseband is not an option for you... I've seen where it has been suggested that we should first use iTunes to do a clean upgrade to 5.0.1, and then jailbreak that clean firmware. (personally when I move between versions I always choose to setup as a new device~ that in my opinion gives a more stable device, but you do need to re-enter everything

download redsn0w 0.9.10b3 or newer (rumor has it they will be upgraded shortly)

Jailbreak your device.



Apple has made some significant changes, unless you've saved your SHSH with TinyUmbrella 5.10.6 which you've download in the last few days, I would not count in having a valid, working SHSH, and APTicket after upgrading to iOS 5.1+ I've used both TinyUmbrella 5.10.6 as well as iFaith 1.4.1 to save my SHSH blobs and APTicket that we now will need...

Last edited by Dav1; Jan 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Correct iFaith version to 1.4.1
Dav1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Jojne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
With iFaith, do I need to build an IPSW? Because that requires a few reboots, a big hassle with my tethered iPad.
Jojne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Dav1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojne View Post
With iFaith, do I need to build an IPSW? Because that requires a few reboots, a big hassle with my tethered iPad.
Not to get your SHSH and APTicket. Launch iFaith, (right click and run as admin on windows) click Ok click on "Dump SHSH Blobs", click on "Proceed", click on "Let's Go", click on "No" (unless you are doing an Apple TV2), plug in your iPad, kill itunes, put it in a DFU state, click "Start" And iFaith will detect that your iPad is in a DFU state, and skip the prompting. (I found it helpful to keep killing (using Task manger) iTunes until you are pass certificate dump ~ iTunes 10.5.2.11 seems to kick my iPhone out of DFU mode, more of a problem for the iPhone than my iPad) you'll be asked where to save them, choose a location, (once they are saved might be smart to back up to a flash drive)

Hope that helps
Dav1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:20 PM   #12
Jojne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Thank you for all your help Dav1!

Unfortunately, I got an error 3194 while updating to 5.0.1 from 4.2.1. I saw a few threads about it on this forum and will try to resolve it. When I have failed/succeeded I will get back to you.
Jojne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Dav1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojne View Post
Thank you for all your help Dav1!

Unfortunately, I got an error 3194 while updating to 5.0.1 from 4.2.1. I saw a few threads about it on this forum and will try to resolve it. When I have failed/succeeded I will get back to you.
Have you updated iTunes, to the latest version?

If you have TinyUmbrella installed, run it, tap on the advance tab and uncheck “Request From Cydia SHSH”. Then click “Apply Changes” and restart the computer.

That should remove all gs.apple.com redirects from your host file. Restarting your computer ensures that they take effect.

Hope that helps
Dav1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:07 PM   #14
Jojne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
It required blood, sweat and tears, but here I am, typing this on my freshly jailbroken iPad 5.0.1. This is the process of updating it to 5.0.1 from 4.2.1.

1. I removed the 3194 error by manually manipulating the host-file.
2. I temporarily disabled my antivirus (AVG) because it was interfering with the back up-part of the updating process
3. I had to do a shift+restore, chosing my downloaded 5.0.1 firmwire, because the normal restore gave me a 3194 (possibly because I had not rebooted after manipulating the host-file)

Doing the jailbreak was completely painless using redsnow.

Thank you for all your help Dev1, I couldn´t have done it without your help!
Jojne is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Cydia and Jailbroken apps remain after a restore from before jailbreaking... JrFreak Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 16 May 27, 2014 06:14 PM
iPad Mini: Full Restore of iPad mini did not restore game data urbancity iPad 7 Dec 25, 2013 05:53 AM
iPhone: Do I need to Internet connection to restore via iTunes Back up after Jailbreaking? johndope83 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Nov 10, 2012 07:44 PM
Jailbreaking Ipad dvboy iPad 2 Sep 23, 2012 05:56 PM
iPad: Jailbreaking an ipad 2 SHiFT. Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Aug 22, 2012 06:21 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC