Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vth101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2010
hi. so i'm currently using imovie but i want to upgrade into a new video editing program that's free.
i really want final express because i heard it was good but my parents won't let me get it cause it's too expensive :(
avid also got discontinued.
so are there anyother free softwarees that are good to use?

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
hi. so i'm currently using imovie but i want to upgrade into a new video editing program that's free.
i really want final express because i heard it was good but my parents won't let me get it cause it's too expensive :(
avid also got discontinued.
so are there anyother free softwarees that are good to use?

For Mac OS X?
There are several open source free editors, but none of them officially support OS X.

Here's some ideas:

A) look on ebay for old versions of Final Cut Express... version 3.5 is very solid.

B) Save up your money. A new version of FInal Cut Express is probably coming out soon so you've got some time.

C) Avid ( like you said ) You'll have to review the terms of "Avid Free DV" to see if its still ok to use, but you can still find it on several places on the net. look around... I found a site that had it for download in 5 minutes.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
How can you "upgrade" to something that is free?

Anything that is better than iMovie is going to cost you money.

I agree with the above, though, get your parents to buy you an older version of FCE.

jamesollor

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
United States
There are many software's available for video editing. personally I will recommend cyberLink Powerdirector, it is not free to download software. but good as compared to other. Have a look to this may be it can also help you.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Take a look at Lightworks which has a free version, is a professional video editor. Currently its available only for windows, but a Linux and Mac version will come out. But probably a long wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.