Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 1, 2010, 04:19 AM   #1
Bolteh
macrumors regular

Wired connection + AirPort/Wireless?

I have a wired network set up between my iMac and 2 Windows PCs, pretty much just a router connected to the cablemodem and branching into 3 other connections.

Now, I would like to add a wireless signal to that network without actually losing the wired connection to all 3 computers, so I can actually use the wi-fi on my iPod Touch and laptop.

What's the best way for me to get this done? Is it possible to somehow let my iMac send the wireless signal (had to do something similar to get the Rowmote app working on my iPod), or do I need to connect a wi-fi transmitter/Airport to the current router?
Bolteh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 04:51 AM   #2
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

The easiest way to do this is to just purchase a wireless router. Wireless routers give wireless Internet access (obviously), but also have Ethernet ports enabling you to have 3 to 4 wired connections, as well.

That's probably the easiest (and least expensive) way. Wireless routers usually start around $50-60 and can be found at pretty much any electronics store. There are many different brands, but they should all work for what you're looking to accomplish.

The back of a wireless router looks something like this, to give you an idea. You connect the cord coming from the modem directly into the wireless router, and then plug the wired computers into it as well. All other wireless devices will connect automatically, or with a password if you set one.

Thumb resize.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking