Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BroccLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I received my 500GB Seagate Momentus XT yesterday and ran some quick and crude benchmarks that I thought I'd share with you guys in case anyone else was thinking of upgrading. Here are my observations.

With Factory Seagate 7200rpm 500GB Drive:
-------------------------------------------
Time to boot measured from hitting the power button to when the finder toolbar appeared at the top averaged approximately 40s to 45s.

Running Photoshop CS5 immedately after reboot took approximately 10s.

The above two tests were repeated about 4 or 5 times and were fairly consistent.

With new Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive:
--------------------------------------------
Time to boot measured from hitting the power button to when the finder toolbar appeared at the top averaged approximately 30s.

Running Photoshop CS5 immedately after reboot took approximately 3s to 5s.

The above two tests were repeated 4 times (sorry I ran out of time to run more) and as expected the first attempt was a little slower than subsequent tests. The times listed above represent the times I was getting after the first reboot.

All in all i'm happy with the improvement, especially when i consider the fact that I still get my 500GB capacity. I wanted an SSD but couldn't bring myself to fork out the money to get a drive with enough capacity to meet my needs.

If you have any questions or want me to run specific tests let me know. Not sure about running battery life tests since my battery-o-meter is all over the place telling me i have anywhere between 2 hours and 8 hours of battery life depending on what i'm doing at any given moment :)

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Sounds good, I'm looking at picking one of these up. Where did you buy yours from?

BroccLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Sounds good, I'm looking at picking one of these up. Where did you buy yours from?

Well, I'm up in Canada and as an early adopter couldn't find many places here in Calgary to order from, so I ended up ordering online from NCIX.COM (who are located in Vancouver) for $150CDN+shipping+tax. Ordered May 25th and received it last night.

rootss

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks for the speed test report. I'll be really interested in hearing about your real life battery experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.