Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During tonight's All Things D Interview, Steve Jobs indicated that he was not going to let the stolen/lost iPhone prototype incident "slide":
Steve: You know, when this whole thing with Gizmodo happened, I got advice from people who said 'you gotta just let it slide, you shouldn't go after a journalist just because they bought stolen property and tried to extort you.' And I thought deeply about this, and I concluded the worst thing that could happen is if we change our core values and let it slide. I can't do that. I'd rather quit.
In April, Gizmodo purchased an iPhone prototype and posted several news stories about the device. There has been an ongoing investigation on the incident which resulted in a search warrant for Gizmodo editor Jason Chen.

Article Link: Steve Jobs on Stolen Prototype iPhone: Not Going to Let It Slide.

Red Comet

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
He didn't break hearts for nothing.

Attachments

• 1274627427002.jpg
    1274627427002.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 593

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Good, suck on that journalist's blood Steve. Who cares if you let it go or not. Digging into that won't give you any limelight.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
I just got out of Iron Man 2.. I hope the stolen iPhone can provide as much entertainment as it did.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Good means to not compromise your values. Better means that whatever is the right, ethical, and lawful thing to do should win out. Period. The law is the law.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Might as well quit because there is nothing he can do about it now. The damage is done.

Red Comet

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
I just got out of Iron Man 2.. I hope the stolen iPhone can provide as much entertainment as it did.

I just don't understand what could be going through Jason Chen's mind. He honestly should have known better.

One Person vs. A corporation

Guess who has the most lawyers..

sideburn

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
You shouldn't, but be gentle. Remember, in part it was because they were so passionate about Apple products that the did a stupid thing...

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I just don't understand what could be going through Jason Chen's mind. He honestly should have known better.

One Person vs. A corporation

No, that's only what he THOUGHT it was.

What it actually was that it's one person versus the law and government and more than several corporations--and he didn't take that into account (what? you think that other corporations would like to see theft of prototypes become common?).

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, it's hard to gauge how much the publicity did for Giz though. I recall them having an article shortly after introducing "all their new readers who came because of the leak" (paraphrase) to the site.

Red Comet

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
No, that's only what he THOUGHT it was.

What it actually was that it's one person versus the law and government and more than several corporations--and he didn't take that into account (what? you think that other corporations would like to see theft of prototypes become common?).

Woah, relax there buddy, I don't like to see theft period.

In any case he's paying a heavy price for it.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
One thing is to take risks and another is to choose your battles.
It is very easy for us, the spectators, to say whatever we want as outsiders and having nothing to loose but how other MacRumors members will respond or ignore what we post here.
Chen might had thought that his employer will protect him, for doing what he did, or even he was asked by them to do what he did. I simply don't know and I am just speculating on things that could had happened.
What matters is that we got a lot of fun with that news and like Steve said, lets see who releases the movie, hopefully it will not be an E! True Hollywood story of Chen... :p

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple should have denied everything. People would have thought the story was fake if Apple had let it slide and now have dig themselves into a PR hole. The majority ( out side of this forum - regular people not Fanboys ) of people I expect would side with Gizmodo, being the underdog, and consider Apple being overly aggressive.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
...And I thought deeply about this, and I concluded the worst thing that could happen is if we change our core values and let it slide.

Which core value would that be? An eye for an eye?

To be frank, I'm perfectly okay if he's doing it for; revenge, to teach them a lesson or to set an example. But wrapping it up in warm fuzzy talk about "core values" sounds a bit incongruous.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Woah, relax there buddy, I don't like to see theft period.

In any case he's paying a heavy price for it.

Nah, what I meant was that he obviously didn't think about what he was getting into; he was thinking it was just about Apple. He obviously didn't think it was that big of a deal--it's just that companies think it's a bigger deal than he did.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Just remember that we haven't heard the full story, just lots of tech news coverage that, given their track record, is probably as wrong as it is right. Wait until the whole story is told, and only then draw judgment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.