Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Besides the new iPhone tethering option, AT&T also announced that they have changed the iPad 3G data plan for new customers after June 7th.

At present, AT&T offers a no-contract $29.99/month unlimited data plan. If you activate your data plan before June 7th, you can still participate in this plan. After June 7th, however, AT&T will be replacing that plan with a $25/month 2GB limited plan. From the press release:
For new iPad customers, the $25 per month 2 GB plan will replace the existing $29.99 unlimited plan. iPad customers will continue to pre-pay for their wireless data plan and no contract is required. Existing iPad customers who have the $29.99 per month unlimited plan can keep that plan or switch to the new $25 per month plan with 2 GB of data.
So, if this is an issue for you, you still have time to be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. Existing iPad customers can look at their current data usage via their iPad settings.

Article Link: AT&T Replaces iPad Unlimited Data Plan with 2GB Capped Plan for New Customers

BVGuitarPlayer

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
That's an excuse to limit video iChat calls to wifi only. F'in at&t.

edit: wasn't paying attention, that this was about iPad, not iPhone

correction: F'in at&t.

that is all.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Wow, how long did that unlimited plan last? 2 months? So much for Apple being a game changer. In the end, the wireless carriers still rule the land. 2GB on the iPad is just plain draconian, and inhibit innovation. Content providers should be up in arms about this.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
This is a BIG negative. 2GB these days is nothing. You can forget about downloading movies, chat, video conferencing, streaming TV. This will hurt iPad sales if it sticks.

Oh edit... you can forget about "everything will be in the cloud" and you will just stream it when needed.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I'm fine with the cap on the iPhone, but not so much the iPad. Do they mean I'll able to cancel my data and then get unlimited again in the future because I got my 3G before the new terms?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I'm fine with the cap on the iPhone, but not so much the iPad. Do they mean I'll able to cancel my data and then get unlimited again in the future because I got my 3G before the new terms?

We would need to see the fine print on the contract to know that... my thinking is NO... if you cancel and then renew... you are in the 2GB limit with the new contract.

xSPRINTERx

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Leicester
ouch that's got to hurt.

Makes me glad i live in the uk and the operators have some real competition. Makes my current three mobile plan seam really generous (10gb - £15.00 ($22)).

fox777

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
USA
People just think about how much you use your data BEFORE bitching about these changes. Also, more than 2GB/month is nuts anyways. Try using your PC/laptop for that and it will also download much faster

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I thought AT&T was overdue for some horrendous decision to make it's customers livid. It's about time.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Does this have anything to do with Skype now being able to transmit voice over 3G?

It sure does suck, when considering that the iPad is supposed to be an awesome device for internet browsing, not just casual "oh let's check that website" browsing. And with all those apps that stream stuff. Every other HSPDA carrier has unlimited data transfer!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
People just think about how much you use your data BEFORE bitching about these changes. Also, more than 2GB/month is nuts anyways. Try using your PC/laptop for that and it will also download much faster

Oh, so my MBP magically will have 3G when I'm sitting in the speech therapists office? Cool, I just hadn't taken it up there because I didn't know that, I will do that on Monday then!

And, happy to know it will work at the hotel/convention center to entertain 2 kids that had to go unexpectedly for 8 hours....

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Well after taking a few minutes to not get all wound up here is a realistic look at my situation:

2 iPhone's
1 iPad, soon to be 2 iPad's

So I'm looking at $120 a month for unlimited data on all 4 although my wife's we could probably get away with the 250.

With the new 'plan' and it does say existing CUSTOMERS keep their current plan, so even upgrading your an existing customer from what I read.

With the new setup $90 a month from $120 if I setup the Pro plan with tethering, 45 for each iPhone, drop the plan on the iPad and tether to the iPhone. I get the added bonus of tethering the Macbook and more importantly for me a backup now exists in case my connection goes out at the house.

I'd have to use 5gb per month on one device to see $120. There is no way my wife will use 2gb mostly because we work out of our house and when we're out working its together.

My bigger issue is I paid Apple $130 more for a 3G iPad and now find I don't need one if I can tether a 4G iPhone.

If this all turns out to be the case my iPad will be going back to Apple for a Wi-Fi. I've got until the 16th of June for my 30 days and I'd bet Apple will have a whole slew of people who can work a calculator wanting to return theres also.

I am half way through my month and I've used 442mb of data. I consider myself to be a heavy user of data, I'm in Jump Desktop at least 1 hour per day, I use it to surf at lunch and dinner. I do 80 percent of my email from it.

So to me this is a good thing which could save $30 a month, I have no use for watching video or anything like that over 3G nor do I care to.

My iPhone data useage has dropped to nearly nothing since getting the iPad since I generally carry around both devices.

Now I can take back my current iPad, get the wife a wifi and save $260 for a total first year savings of $620.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
2GB on the iPad is not enough. We're talking about streaming video here. This feels a little like bait and switch. I wonder how Apple feels about this. This is an area where multiple carriers and competition is desperately needed.

Magaman

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
When will Apple get their heads out of their asses and bring these great devices elsewhere? The only reason ATT is doing this is because the Iphone and iPad is crippling their crappy network. So their plan is limit our data usage.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
I am really starting to wonder if the carriers are shifting towards 3G is limited and cost about this much for XX gigs. BUT if you buy our WIMAX \ LTE services then it's unlimited..

Seriously.. I don't want to rant on old countless discussions but carriers refuse to grow and be creative here in the USA..:cool:

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
I like this tiered offering now. Just did a quick price check, and we would save $55 a month on our phone bill.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
With the new setup $90 a month from $120 if I setup the Pro plan with tethering, 45 for each iPhone, drop the plan on the iPad and tether to the iPhone.

Note that you cannot tether an iPad to an iPhone at present.

A movie from the iTunes store is what... about 500MB. How about hulu or netflick? These companies can't be happy with the new cap plan.

You CAN'T download 500MB movies directly to your iPhone on 3G or EDGE, let alone on WiFi (even if you could on WiFi, it would take FOREVER)!!!

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
When will Apple get their heads out of their asses and bring these great devices elsewhere? The only reason ATT is doing this is because the Iphone and iPad is crippling their crappy network. So their plan is limit our data usage.

Let's hope this lights a fire under apple to license a few more carriers in the US of A. This is what happens when one company (at&t) has a monopoly.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
2GB on the iPad is not enough. We're talking about streaming video here. This feels a little like bait and switch. I wonder how Apple feels about this. This is an area where multiple carriers and competition is desperately needed.

It's probably because Apple has pulled the switch and will launch a Verizon / Sprint capable iPad. Not like they didn't see it coming though.

Unless there is another viable option by the time the new iPad comes around next spring, I won't be upgrading. I was going to get the 3g iPad 2 next spring, but if I can't get unlimited data, then what's the point? I'll just stick with my WIFI model and hope for a brighter tomorrow. :(

Note that you cannot tether an iPad to an iPhone at present.

Does anyone know if a Jailbroken iPad can do this? Is it technically possible for someone to write an app for this or does it need carrier provisions or what? My iPad is jailbroken, and if I could enable this then I would pay for tethering on my iPhone in a heartbeat. However, I don't care to jb my iPhone, and have heard that the WIFI tethering on jb iPhone is a battery suck.

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
It seems this limit is more about preserving bandwidth than anything else.
With the upcoming strain of iphone video chat possibilities - they must be bricking themselves!

Uk highways used to have no speed restrictions - cos most people had Morris Minors.

Then one day a police car was overtaken at 180mph by an AC Cobra on a factory test.............

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.