Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:03 AM   #1
LazyD
macrumors newbie

Powerbook not booting, Invalid memory access

Hello,

Hoping someone might be able to help with this mac problem a friend of mine has. Personally I don't have a lot of experience with macs but I work with pc's so hopefully some of that should apply here. When you turn the mac on, a few seconds after the sound it plays I'm presented with this screen:

Invalid memory access at

&SRR0: ff848580 &SRR1: 00003030

Apple Powerbook 6,5 4.8.7f1 BootROM built on 09/23/04 at 16:13:38

Copyright 1994-2004 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.

Welcome to open firmware, the system time and date is: 01:04:41 02/09/1904

The battery capacity is: 88 percent

To continue booting, type "mac-boot" and press return.

To shut down, type "shut-down" and press return.

ok
0>_

I've coloured the & symbols red because I couldn't make out if they were actually & symbols or % symbols.

Googling the error comes up with nothing at all. If I type mac-boot the screen goes grey for a short while then the mac turns off, and strangely doesn't seem to want to turn on again for a while. Even removing the battery and putting it back in and then pressing the power button doesn't seem to get it powering on again, I have to leave it and forget about it for a bit, then pressing the power button gets it turning on.

I'm guessing this is a hardware fault but not sure what. Obviously the data and time is wrong so perhaps the cmos battery is dead (don't even know if macs have a cmos system or battery to be honest but they must have something similar) but I wouldn't think that would prevent booting. I have the tools to open it and am perfectly comfortable doing that.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks.
LazyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:10 AM   #2
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyD View Post
Hello,

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks.
welcome to macrumors.

this page might help you (haha).

it will most likely be the RAM is damaged. using the OSX install disc that came with the computer you can test the hardware, as per this thread. give that a try - i am betting that the RAM is damaged.
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 05:12 PM   #3
LazyD
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. For some reason I'm not getting email notifications even though I've got them on, hmm, happens in quite a few forums to me.

I've seen your first link somewhere else before, not much help...

Yeah I'll try the ram test, can I download an image and burn it with a mem test on it if I can't get my hands on the osx disk?
LazyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs