Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:39 PM   #1
coconn06
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to coconn06
iPod and Ogg Vorbis

Anyone have any thoughts about why Apple doesn't support Ogg Vorbis and other open formats on the iPod? It seems like it would only increase interest in the product, and wouldn't cost them anything (aside from development time, of course).

Any thoughts?

Last edited by coconn06; Oct 12, 2004 at 12:40 PM. Reason: changed wording
coconn06 is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:43 PM   #2
Converted2Truth
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Converted2Truth
There are conversion tools out there that will convert ogg to mp3... then you could play it on the ipod...

I know it's stupid they don't support it, but how often to you listen to ogg tune-age? I only use ogg format for game audio... not exactly what i like to listen to when i jog, IYKWIM.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:57 PM   #3
jxyama
macrumors 68040

ogg vorbis is an extremely minor format, in terms of popularity, whether you like it or not. revision of the iPod software to add the codec is probably not worth the money for apple to cater to such a small minority of users.

if anything, WMA would be incorporated before ogg vorbis. (not that WMA ever would be, that's not my point.)

also, there's reasonable doubt if iPod has enough processing power to decode ogg to begin with. i don't think it's as trivial as you think.
jxyama is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers