Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:54 AM   #1
iRance
macrumors regular

Good Apps for 8 Year Old

Hey guys,I plan on buying a 32GB WiFi Only iPad for my sister's 8th birthday.
Is there any good educational or fun apps that I should download right now?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:06 AM   #2
CWT1965
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRance View Post
Hey guys,I plan on buying a 32GB WiFi Only iPad for my sister's 8th birthday.
Is there any good educational or fun apps that I should download right now?
Better off buying her a Barbie doll or a My Little Pony set, giving an 8 year old an iPad it would be broken inside 2 weeks, a month if a kid is ultra careful, either that or it will be stolen at school

My nephew is 9 and is already on his 3rd mobile phone in 14 months, giving an 8 year old a 500 piece of kit is like setting fire to 500 worth of notes
CWT1965 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:13 AM   #3
iRance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWT1965 View Post
Better off buying her a Barbie doll or a My Little Pony set, giving an 8 year old an iPad it would be broken inside 2 weeks, a month if a kid is ultra careful, either that or it will be stolen at school

My nephew is 9 and is already on his 3rd mobile phone in 14 months, giving an 8 year old a 500 piece of kit is like setting fire to 500 worth of notes
My sister had her iPod Touch for almost 7 months,no scratches and she never dropped it.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Red5403
macrumors member

My 7 and 9 year old daughters LOVE the series of "More..." apps. For the iPad, they have Cupcakes XL, which is how we first discovered theses apps. They received iTunes gift cards for their recent birthdays, so we've since downloaded More Pizza, More Salad, More Toast (kind of odd from a grown-up's perspective - but they like that one too), and they just released a More Sundaes. Not necessarily the most educational set of apps, but they love them.

My daughters also like the variety of art/coloring apps.

Hangman is another one that my daughters like. One thing they'd love is the ability to plug in their own spelling words into one of these hangman apps. Maybe there is one out there already, but we haven't found it yet.
Red5403 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Mitchrapp
macrumors 6502a

Why would a young child break an iPad? The adults are the ones you have to worry about. Most kids are very careful with things like this.

My young daughters love the color/art apps. The "More series, too much for 5 year olds?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Red5403
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
My young daughters love the color/art apps. The "More series, too much for 5 year olds?
We've been doing games like with my daughters for a few years - usually dress Dora, or whatever character it is. We were using "Dress Chica" for a few years, until they outgrew it - a preschool version of the dress me genre, of which the "More... " series is basically like, just with food and not clothes.

There is also a fairy program, which I don't recall the name of, that has a ton of choices of how to dress the fairies. What I'm not fond of with that app is that the fairies look like Bratz girls, and I didn't really want my kids to get into Bratz dolls. But they've played that game a ton since there are SO many options of what to change. The only iPad specific version of any of these that we've liked (and there aren't really that many) is Cupcakes XL.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:33 AM   #7
Red5403
macrumors member

I just looked up the fairy app I mentioned above, and it is simply called "Suzy Dress Up".

Last edited by Red5403; Jun 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Corrected app name
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Mitchrapp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5403 View Post
I just looked up the fairy app I mentioned above, and it is simply called "Suzy Dress Up".
Thank you very much. I agree about the Bratz girls, not for my girls. Thanks again.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 05:32 PM   #9
ItsThatKush
Banned

i like the Toy Story book app. So what if I'm 25? lol
ItsThatKush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:11 PM   #10
suniil
macrumors member

I bought a 16GB Wifi for my 9 year old daughter on launch day. She had iPhone 2G for last 1.5 years and never dropped it. Main use will be as digital sheet music reader, ebooks, some games and music making apps

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps