Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Nrwrit3r
macrumors 6502a

So, what IS 2gb of "usage" for an iPhone?

Hey guys!

Like many people who just found out about the new limit on the iPhone, I am wondering what 2gb of data really is? I'm planning on buying a 4g but I want to make sure I won't be going over the usage every month. I am young and use the internet a huge amount (thankfully I'm on a college campus and will mostly be on wifi).

But what is 1 mb of "usage" ?

I am a newbie...I am good with computers/phones, but I don't understand the whole usage thing.

If I watch a youtube video and download a new app every day, will I go over 2gb of data? Does the iPhone download a youtube video to watch it, or is a youtube video normally just 1mb? The new iPhone will have a higher res screen, meaning higher grade streaming....will I go over it?

And what about videochat? Would videochat easily suck up 2gb of usage over 1 month?

I don't currently have an iPhone and therefore cannot really go online and check my usage. Any information would be much appreciated!
Nrwrit3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Why don't you log in and have a look? If you were using airvideo for example 2gb wouldn't last you very long.

I can see alot of people trying to save a buck and losing out on this one.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Nrwrit3r
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Why don't you log in and have a look? If you were using airvideo for example 2gb wouldn't last you very long.

I can see alot of people trying to save a buck and losing out on this one.
What is airvideo?

And I don't have access to the account (I'm still on my dad's account haha), and I don't currently own a smartphone so it wouldn't apply to me.
Nrwrit3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Here's the thread about how to check your data-usage chart.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=926678

Many people are posting images of their chart. You can scroll down and take a look. Each bar is one month's worth of data.

(Remember, the charts are in MB, so if it says 500 that's really 0.5 GB.)
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:41 AM   #5
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Especially since we're going to have two-way video calling on the iPhone 4G.
That 2 GB is going to go really quick with that.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:56 AM   #6
iMrNiceGuy0023
macrumors 68000

with Multi Tasking being added....people will Pandora in the background while doing other things....and Pabdora uses a lot of data
iMrNiceGuy0023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 03:59 PM   #7
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMrNiceGuy0023 View Post
....and Pabdora uses a lot of data
You'd think so, but I just did a 3G test (wifi disabled): with Pandora running for around 127 minutes, only ~32.0MB was transferred (that's download + upload). It's hard-to-believe, but that's what my cellular network data shows.

That's around 7937 minutes worth of pandora in a 2GB limit (and I'm assuming AT&T will use the ugly 2GB == 2000MB rule), or around 4 hours 20 min/day (assuming a 30.5 day month). That's not too bad.
TLewis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

There's a little thingy on AT&T's site that lets you try out different scenarios to determine how much data you'll use. Doesn't have GPS, though.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 04:13 PM   #9
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
There's a little thingy on AT&T's site that lets you try out different scenarios to determine how much data you'll use. Doesn't have GPS, though.
GPS itself requires only miniscule amounts of data (for the initial geolocation from the aGPS server). After that it is all done locally. If using a GPS solution without local maps, that's another story.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 04:35 PM   #10
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrwrit3r View Post
Like many people who just found out about the new limit on the iPhone, I am wondering what 2gb of data really is? I'm planning on buying a 4g but I want to make sure I won't be going over the usage every month. I am young and use the internet a huge amount (thankfully I'm on a college campus and will mostly be on wifi).
Wifi usage doesn't count towards the 2GB limit. The 2GB limit is only for cellular data usage (3G/EDGE), and cellular data and wifi data are totally separate and different things. If you only use wifi, you should never, ever hit the 2GB limit.

In fact, most of my usage is wifi -- largely because 3G/EDGE often sucks where I am -- and my cellular data usage since February was under 300MB.

A quick pandora check earlier today showed pandora using up maybe 0.26MB/minute. You can do the rest of the math.

Note that youtube on the iPhone is a bit crippled as (1) videos appear to be converted to an even smaller lowres version for the iPhone (which can be good, as that means less cellular data, if you use the cell data network), and (2) longer youtube videos often can't be viewed on the iPhone (they can be viewed via a desktop web browser, but get an "unviewable" error message if you attempt to view them on the iPhone).

airvideo is a wonderful iPhone app that makes videos on your PC or Mac accessible by your iPhone. Basically, you run a server app on your PC/Mac, and the iPhone app connects to the server to view videos. It's really best for (local/home/dorm) wifi use. There is an option to make the videos accessible over the internet, which means that any airvideo-enabled iPhone can access them via 3G/EDGE (you'd better add a password if you do this). However, with the new 2GB limit, airvideo over 3G/EDGE is really not usable; while it's highly variable, my airvideo-converted videos are often 150MB-200MB in size, for a ~45minute video. On the other hand, since you have the video on a PC/Mac, you can just transfer the ones you really like to the iPhone.

Last edited by TLewis; Jun 2, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFLPraxis View Post
Especially since we're going to have two-way video calling on the iPhone 4G.
That 2 GB is going to go really quick with that.
Isn't it charged per minute, not per MB?

Edit: Hmm, that appears to be a one-way service. What does AT&T call "normal" two-way video calling?
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:20 PM   #12
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Edit: Hmm, that appears to be a one-way service. What does AT&T call "normal" two-way video calling?
Well, it remains to be seen, but my guess is that video calling just falls under data usage. It'll be interesting to see how well it works over 3G, if at all; if it does work, that 2GB limit may not seem so big after all ....

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone