Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Snaz
macrumors newbie

iPhone won't stop trying to send an email

I have an iPhone 3G, and seeing as how it doesn't shoot video, I downloaded an app for it.
Well, after shooting a video, I wanted to email it to someone and it warned me that the size was too big to send, but the warning said it would try.
So I proceeded, and the email failed to send. But now, my phone won't stop trying to send this stupid email. My battery lasts MAYBE 2 hours because it is constantly trying to send this email. Everytime I open my email it is sitting there trying to send this email, and killing the battery. My phone has become sluggish because of this.
When it fails to send it alerts me, then kicks the email to the outbox, then instantly tries again.
I went into my configurations and changed the "push" setting to manual, and then I turned "push" off. But I realize that will do nothing.
How do I tell my phone to give up with the email?
My phone Totally dies and is out of juice at 10:30, only two hours after I unplug it in the morning, and I don't even use it in between... It just keeps sending that email.
Thanks,
Snaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Snaz
macrumors newbie

Just a bump to the top. I've had to disable the email on my phone to prevent the battery from dying. If I leave my phone on, while leaving the email account active, my phone gets really hot because it just sits there and thinks about sending the email. Anyone ever had this problem?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Snaz
macrumors newbie

Bump

Bump, 14 days later and it is still trying to send this stupid email. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:13 AM   #4
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
Bump, 14 days later and it is still trying to send this stupid email. Any suggestions?
Open your email app, then hold the lock button and the home button at the same time. Hold them both untill the 'slide to turn off' has passed, then it's gone blank, keep holding when the Apple appears, if you keep holding the apple will disappear. At this point, release the buttons, and then turn on the phone normally, when the phone boots up, open your email app right away, it'll say 'loading' at the bottom. Open your Outbox, slide your finger to the right over the email, a 'delete' button will appear, delete the email.

Speed is key during the last stage, or the phone will remember it has email to send, and begin sending again.

Hope this works for you too!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:44 AM   #5
winterfarm03
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up It Worked For Me, Thank You!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjy91 View Post
Open your email app, then hold the lock button and the home button at the same time. Hold them both untill the 'slide to turn off' has passed, then it's gone blank, keep holding when the Apple appears, if you keep holding the apple will disappear. At this point, release the buttons, and then turn on the phone normally, when the phone boots up, open your email app right away, it'll say 'loading' at the bottom. Open your Outbox, slide your finger to the right over the email, a 'delete' button will appear, delete the email.

Speed is key during the last stage, or the phone will remember it has email to send, and begin sending again.

Hope this works for you too!
YES YES YES!! This totally worked on the second try, the first time I wasn't sure if I was doing it right and it just booted back up but I wasn't in the email app. THANK YOU!!!!!
winterfarm03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:43 PM   #6
GleisenGlousen
macrumors newbie

Alternative Workaround

I've got the 4S and the same thing was happening to me. I put it in airplane mode, which in turn caused the email program to stop attempting to send the email because it had lost connection. Then I clicked Edit and Delete. No need for speed on this one.
GleisenGlousen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 05:35 AM   #7
MargieP44
macrumors newbie

This was the best idea! Airplane mode did the trick quickly for me. Thanks!
MargieP44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 02:54 PM   #8
1984 rules
macrumors newbie

Many thanks to GleisenGlousen...

because you stopped me throwing the newly acquired iPhone out of the window...

My sincere thanks - your solution is simple and worked perfectly! (and made me join this Forum just to say thank you!).
1984 rules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:31 AM   #9
bigjcliff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleisenGlousen View Post
I've got the 4S and the same thing was happening to me. I put it in airplane mode, which in turn caused the email program to stop attempting to send the email because it had lost connection. Then I clicked Edit and Delete. No need for speed on this one.
I also have the iPhone 4s. Same problem, but what am I missing here?
When I put it in airplane mode and go into mail app..... My Mailboxes are; Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, Archive, Junk, and Notes. I can't find where my message that wont send is..... to edit and delete it. Just got my 4th delivery notification this morning, want it to STOP!! thanks
bigjcliff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 07:09 PM   #10
ME109
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjcliff View Post
I also have the iPhone 4s. Same problem, but what am I missing here?
When I put it in airplane mode and go into mail app..... My Mailboxes are; Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, Archive, Junk, and Notes. I can't find where my message that wont send is..... to edit and delete it. Just got my 4th delivery notification this morning, want it to STOP!! thanks
What type of mail service are you using bigjcliff?

If you are using Exchange try this :
(1) Take it out of Airplane Mode,
(2) Navigate back to Mailboxes,
(3) Scroll down to Accounts,
(4) Click on Exchange,
(5) Scroll down to the "Outbox" folder to find an email that has not been sent yet
(6) Swipe right on the email
(7) Click on delete

Hope this helps (if not you, someone else reading this blog).
ME109 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Independencer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleisenGlousen View Post
Oh... It is just that easy! Your 2 years ago post just saved my iPhone 5 from keeping sending that huge stupid mail. Thank you! Thank you so much!!!
Independencer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:32 AM   #12
stickygreen
macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for this post!

After 3 days of my device trying to send an Email with a image attachment, I have used alot of data, this was the fix I needed.

)'(
stickygreen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Travis01
macrumors newbie

Turn off wifi and cellular data. Go to email and delete it.
Travis01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting