Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 2, 2010, 05:32 PM   #1
NateSJ408
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Why can't you download files to iPad?

An example of what I mean: I wanted to listen to this Yale course on listening to music: http://oyc.yale.edu/music/listening-...tent/downloads

They offer the course in quicktime video, and mp3.

I realize you can probably download to a PC and then transfer, BUT many people including myself run an iPad only.

I understand one reason may be because Apple wants you to buy everything from Itunes rather than having people pirate things.

However not all quicktime videos are pirated, and many mp3s such as the above example are free.

I see this as a significant weakness of the iPad.

Will this be addressed in OS4?
NateSJ408 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 05:46 PM   #2
diabolic
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
GoodReader will download, store, and play the .mp3 files.
__________________
Will Loconto Music and Sound - Games, Television, and Film
diabolic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Janglo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2008
GoodReader may be a slight improvement, but the point still remains: why can't Apple incorporate an in-built filesystem?

Sadly, I don't think we'll see it in 4. Apple like to do things their way, and don't really ever listen to customers. It's obvious that Apple are moving towards this closed, one entry system for products.

I really wish they would have a universal system for all files, even if there are seperate apps like iPod and Photos to use them. Even if we could only download images, videos and pdfs it would be a major improvement.

That's why I'm not buying an iPad. Sad, seeing as it is so awesome in almost all other areas.

Also, I think Apple doesn't want the iPad to become like a full fledged system that could become your main computer. That rubbish excuse they used about it being "a new catagory" was just an excuse to cripple it, meaing you still have to have your Macbook and iPhone. The closed, crippled system is just to keep you buying their laptops aswell. With the right interface (the one it has now), it is perfectly capable of replacing a laptop - they just don't want you to.

Last edited by Janglo; Jun 2, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Janglo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:56 PM   #4
NateSJ408
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
thanks for the responses. ill pick up goodreader, but looks like there is no legitimate answer for not having a file system, other than apple just doesnt want to do it. i think eventually iPad will get this and other features. Jobs at that conference basically said iPad will replace the PC eventually.
NateSJ408 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:03 PM   #5
pondie84
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateSJ408 View Post
Will this be addressed in OS4?
Highly unlikely.
pondie84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:22 PM   #6
hsotnicam8002
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateSJ408 View Post
An example of what I mean: I wanted to listen to this Yale course on listening to music: http://oyc.yale.edu/music/listening-...tent/downloads

They offer the course in quicktime video, and mp3.

I realize you can probably download to a PC and then transfer, BUT many people including myself run an iPad only.

I understand one reason may be because Apple wants you to buy everything from Itunes rather than having people pirate things.

However not all quicktime videos are pirated, and many mp3s such as the above example are free.

I see this as a significant weakness of the iPad.

Will this be addressed in OS4?
But then you'd be complaining about not having enough space to store all of these downloads. One complaint leads to another ...
__________________
iMac 27" Core i7 3.4GHz 16GB 2Tb 10.9.4 | 16GB iPod Nano 7G | 16GB iPhone 5 8B4 | 128GB iPad Mini Retina WiFi 8B4
hsotnicam8002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Janglo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsotnicam8002 View Post
But then you'd be complaining about not having enough space to store all of these downloads. One complaint leads to another ...
Well, that's a problem that's in the hands of the user, not Apple. And if this is how people want the iPad to be, then maybe 16gb isn't enough space for the baseline model.
Janglo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:43 PM   #8
OzExige
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Omnipresence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janglo View Post
GoodReader may be a slight improvement, but the point still remains: why can't Apple incorporate an in-built filesystem?

Sadly, I don't think we'll see it in 4. Apple like to do things their way, and don't really ever listen to customers. It's obvious that Apple are moving towards this closed, one entry system for products.

I really wish they would have a universal system for all files, even if there are seperate apps like iPod and Photos to use them. Even if we could only download images, videos and pdfs it would be a major improvement.

That's why I'm not buying an iPad. Sad, seeing as it is so awesome in almost all other areas.

Also, I think Apple doesn't want the iPad to become like a full fledged system that could become your main computer. That rubbish excuse they used about it being "a new catagory" was just an excuse to cripple it, meaing you still have to have your Macbook and iPhone. The closed, crippled system is just to keep you buying their laptops aswell. With the right interface (the one it has now), it is perfectly capable of replacing a laptop - they just don't want you to.
Apple are a stupid company, Bill Gates should have bought them and chucked out Steve.

Look at the sales of Apple products since Steve Jobs took over - it's ridiculous
__________________
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
OzExige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:48 PM   #9
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020
 
Dr Kevorkian94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: # 12 Grimmauld Place
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzExige View Post
Apple are a stupid company, Bill Gates should have bought them and chucked out Steve.

Look at the sales of Apple products since Steve Jobs took over - it's ridiculous
I really hope ur not serious ur on a site called macrumors and u just bash apple like that. Your entitled to ur opinion but that takes balls. And ps no offense but nice grammar
__________________
The Artfull Dodger
Dr Kevorkian94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:49 PM   #10
diabolic
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janglo View Post
Well, that's a problem that's in the hands of the user, not Apple.
Apple wants as few problems in the hands of the user as possible. They make their choices for a reason, even if some might not like the choices themselves. It seems to be working pretty well for them.
__________________
Will Loconto Music and Sound - Games, Television, and Film
diabolic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:57 PM   #11
OzExige
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Omnipresence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kevorkian94 View Post
I really hope ur not serious ur on a site called macrumors and u just bash apple like that. Your entitled to ur opinion but that takes balls. And ps no offense but nice grammar
Sorry Doc - I was being sarcastic

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....1&d=1275530158
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-06-03 at 9.53.40 AM.png
Views:	1330
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	228764  
__________________
May the Blue Bird of Happiness leave a deposit with you and yours.
OzExige is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:16 PM   #12
jtara
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janglo View Post
Sadly, I don't think we'll see it in 4.
Why not, when it's already been announced as part of the 4.0 feature set?

There is going to be a system-wide common directory that all apps can access. As well, apps will still have a private sandbox that is off-limits to other apps.

Of course, apps will have to be re-written to take advantage of this.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:35 PM   #13
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816
 
ovrlrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Why do you need to download them when you can just stream them right in iPad's Safari?
ovrlrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:51 PM   #14
pondie84
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
Why do you need to download them when you can just stream them right in iPad's Safari?
Perhaps for the purposes of later use offline? It's also not entirely economical to be streaming the same thing multiple times when you can just download it once.
pondie84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:55 PM   #15
NateSJ408
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
Why do you need to download them when you can just stream them right in iPad's Safari?
You can't stream all files. These files in question are for download.
NateSJ408 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:56 PM   #16
NateSJ408
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsotnicam8002 View Post
But then you'd be complaining about not having enough space to store all of these downloads. One complaint leads to another ...
One of the reasons I am complaining is because there is plenty of storage space on iPad.
NateSJ408 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:06 AM   #17
Zazoh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mico, Texas
To take it to the next level we have to stop thinking about files. Data should live in the cloud and be available for however I want to use it, whenever I want to use it.
__________________
Website - Gear: This and That.
Zazoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:27 PM   #18
WenMenJenJ
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
USD Dropbox

I use the Dropbox App to download PDFs onto the iPad.
When downloaded, you have the option to add them to iBooks.
Maybe when it is an MP3, you'll get the option to add it to iTunes. I've never tried that yet.
Somehow you need to get the files first to you on-line Dropbox account. I don't know how to do that without a PC, though ...
WenMenJenJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:51 PM   #19
Stealthipad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I use drop box but would still love to be able to have the ability to download files in a decent file system on my iPad. For this reason the iPad will always have limited practicality.
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:15 PM   #20
iPagan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Try an app called Filer. It used to be called Downloader. The downloaded files can be opened in multiple apps. It solved the download problem for me.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filer...18884764?mt=8#
__________________
Apple User
iPagan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:29 PM   #21
Riemann Zeta
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I agree that the lack of a real file system is a pain in the ass. The odd file-copy "open-in app" ability of OS 4 just feels weird to me--it goes against every traditional OS file management concept that I've used.

However, your problem can be solved as long as you have OS 4.x: some 3rd party browser interfaces like iCab have a real download manager (you can "save as"), they can then be used to open media in another application. Works for MPEG4 .avi files, should work for mp3s.
Riemann Zeta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:33 PM   #22
BergerFan
macrumors 68020
 
BergerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, UK.
Jobs doesn't need to grant access to the file system. All he needs to do, is to include a sandboxed, native 'Files' app to the OS, that would solve all the up/download needs for all apps.
When you choose to upload, the picker for files and images pops up.
The same could happen for downloads, depending on wether it's an image or other file type.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus (64GB Space Grey)
iPad Air (32GB Wi-Fi Space Grey)
RMBP (2012)(2.7GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD)

Classic arcade iOS 'Gridlee' video playlist..
BergerFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:59 PM   #23
iSingandiDance
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I find it funny how iPad is becoming less and less that "middle device". It's my primary device. With a camera and a stable iPad Skyfire browser, it will be my only device.

Oh yea an option to download software updates directly to the device is greatly preferred. iTunes, schmitunes.

Almost forgot...more ram.
iSingandiDance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:00 PM   #24
macking104
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Bad example to use: it states on the page that due to copyright restrictions (Creative Commons, etc) not available in iTunesU...

According to their website, Yale decided to make some courses Desktop/laptop only due to the various plugins and features that many mobile devices can't handle.

They have some of their classes on iTunesU (iTunes) and some on YouTube.

Send Yale a nice email about possibility of making materials available for iPad...

Edit: tried using Filer: Those files are large 4.3gb for med bandwidth intro lecture!

Last edited by macking104; Nov 23, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
macking104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:34 PM   #25
Ksane
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Good lord, you guys all do things the hard way. I download and play .mp3's and movies all the time with iCab browser on my iPad, you don't need to be jailbroken or install Goodreader. If you want to save it to your main computer you have that option when you sync
Ksane is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applescript help: color labels of files upon download andrewakessler Mac Programming 3 Aug 30, 2013 02:20 PM
Download torrent files directly on the iPad getstuff4less iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Jun 7, 2013 05:45 AM
iPhone: How to download zip files to iphone? soco7 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 11 Feb 21, 2013 08:08 PM
What app can I use to download mp3 files from ArchiveOfOurOwn? Oragami iPad Apps 0 Oct 1, 2012 02:40 PM
Script/App to move download files? D1G1T4L Mac Basics and Help 4 Sep 27, 2012 05:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC