Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
i have a new battery that was given to my for my macbook white.
but the package was just a brown carton box.
he mentioned that he didnt bought it in the authorized apple reseller store.
how can i check if this is original or oem from apple or oem from 3rd party or fake?

pls help me to clear my mind on this matter , thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You can check the serial number or model number, that should be printed on the battery.

Example for third party supplier:

productimg1262596636675.jpg

Example for original battery:

90-02206-017.jpg

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
You can check the serial number or model number, that should be printed on the battery.

how will i know if its a valid serial number?
i have the same original battery photo that you posted
mine said from the store os OEM from apple but apple csr told me that if it has no official box its not original
thanks for replying

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
is there a chance with the original battery pic you posted could be a 3rd party or not original battery?

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
talked to them already serial number is valid but they dont have information for my battery. like they dont know if its still under warranty

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Why not just buy one from an authorised seller or direct from Apple themselves and save yourself the ballache of sussing out if one you got out of a suitcase behind a bar is ok? :p

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Where has your avatar gone? I hardly recognise you any longer!

You will recognize me on my sarcastic and arse-like comments to newbies?

I don't know, maybe I get a new one, for now I think it's better to have none.
I'm here too often anyway.

Agreed. Put it back up now!

Can't you read? Maybe you should try MRoogle for once. Animal, those bewbies sometimes. :p

I will put one back when I can lift my self-inflicted ban on my avatarial rights.

What the heck happened to my afadah? ANd it is not the one I put up.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I will put one back when I can lift my self-inflicted ban on my avatarial rights.

What the heck happened to my afadah? ANd it is not the one I put up.

I have no idea what an afadah is but your avatar is back, so I'm happy.

Agreed. Put it back up now!

Same thing applies to you, if you change your avatar, I will forever be disorientated when reading your posts.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
When my MacBook battery was defective Apple mailed me a replacement. It came in a simple brown box. No markings saying it was an Apple product or anything, just as simple as a box could be with some foam padding. If the label on the bottom of the battery looks like the official Apple one then you're okay. It's an official battery, they just don't always have a fancy box unless you buy it straight from the store. And even then they may not have an 'Apple' box.

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
When my MacBook battery was defective Apple mailed me a replacement. It came in a simple brown box. No markings saying it was an Apple product or anything, just as simple as a box could be with some foam padding. If the label on the bottom of the battery looks like the official Apple one then you're okay. It's an official battery, they just don't always have a fancy box unless you buy it straight from the store. And even then they may not have an 'Apple' box.

just like this one?

battery was place in a plastic wth a foam padding inside :D

photo.jpg

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Yep, that's the same box I received. There may have been a piece of paper inside from Apple, but I can't recall exactly. But the box and the foam look the same... not that it's too easy to copy. But if it (and the battery label) looks legit I'm sure you're fine.

el sungit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Yep, that's the same box I received. There may have been a piece of paper inside from Apple, but I can't recall exactly. But the box and the foam look the same... not that it's too easy to copy. But if it (and the battery label) looks legit I'm sure you're fine.

thanks, i got it for only 85$ :D
great deal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.