Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2010
I was thinking about this last night....

We have all been looking at our data usage with our current iPhones (2G, 3G, 3GS) to try and figure out if switching from the current $30 unlimited plan to one of the new plans ($15 for 200MB or $25 for 2GB) is a viable option.

What impacts will the new iPhone 4/HD bring to the table?

- Most have mentioned Video Calls/Conferencing
- New screen resolution (will each webpage now be downloaded at twice the resolution?)
- Faster processor (faster web-browsing now means more webpages downloaded)
- multitasking (now you can stream music while surfing the web doubling your data usage)
- emailing higher resoltion camera photos and videos (although you have the option to downsize photos, unsure about videos)
- possibility of Streaming Video (Hulu, Netflix, etc.)

Can anyone think of any other items that could impact your usage?

My thinking is that I will wait a couple months with the new phone and see if it affects my data usage(other than "new iPhone" usage). It seems like you can switch to the new plans at anytime, but once you go, you cant go back to unlimited.

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
I was thinking about this last night....

We have all been looking at our data usage with our current iPhones (2G, 3G, 3GS) to try and figure out if switching from the current $30 unlimited plan to one of the new plans ($15 for 200MB or $25 for 2GB) is a viable option.

What impacts will the new iPhone 4/HD bring to the table?

- Most have mentioned Video Calls/Conferencing
- New screen resolution (will each webpage now be downloaded at twice the resolution?)
- Faster processor (faster web-browsing now means more webpages downloaded)
- multitasking (now you can stream music while surfing the web doubling your data usage)
- emailing higher resoltion camera photos and videos (although you have the option to downsize photos, unsure about videos)
- possibility of Streaming Video (Hulu, Netflix, etc.)

Can anyone think of any other items that could impact your usage?

My thinking is that I will wait a couple months with the new phone and see if it affects my data usage(other than "new iPhone" usage). It seems like you can switch to the new plans at anytime, but once you go, you cant go back to unlimited.

Don't forget AT&T gives us free Wi-Fi hotspots :D....[F*CK]

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Pandora...apps that can now run in the background may use 3G service. This is why i'm going to wait before i make a decision. Luckily we don't have to make a decision on the spot. From looking at my usage, i'm usually under 200mb a month. So it's temping to take the $15 plan. But i'm afraid with new features that it may go over. I think it's silly to take the $25 with a cap when it's only $5 cheaper. I'd rather just keep the unlimited and enjoy it. If i find after a few months with the new iPhone that i'm still under 200mb, then i'll switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.