Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lovemyipad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
Right now we can upgrade to the new iPhone 4G & use our grandfathered unlimited data plans.

1) In two years, when the new iPhone is out and want to sign a new contract, will our plans still be grandfathered

AND

2) if not, can we use unlocked phones to keep our granfathered data plans & just not sign a new contract?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No one knows if plans will continue to be grandfathered for the life of your marriage with AT&T. I assume as long as you remain a customer prior to June 7, 2010 then you're ok.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
As long as you are on the current $30 iphone unlimited plan and not change the data plan, you will continue having unlimited data (although that's always subjected to their fair use policy).

This is just the beginning. As other US carriers match ATT's data policy, you won't see unlimited data anymore, unless you plan on paying a boat load of money.

It's hard to predict 2 years into the future. Just 2 years ago, the iPhone 3G was just being announced and people were up in arms with paying $30 for unlimited data (as opposed to the $15 unlimited data/$5 200 text iphone data plan).

Now $30 for unlimited data seems like a bargin. Ironic isn't it that people are begging for the $30 iphone data plan and rushing to sign up for it, rather than be subjected to the $25 2GB iphone data plan.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I still have features that I added back in the Blue days, so I've high expectations that we will be able to retain the data plans for the lifetime of our accounts.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I'd assume that if ATT can obligate you in a 2 year contract to stick with them and the data plan for 2 years, you should also have the right to keep the same data plan that you agreed to when you signed up.

So if I signed up for ATT for 2 years at the $30 price, they can't simply come in and raise the price or change the data plan without giving me the option of getting out of the contract for free. That's simple contract law.

That's why I think they created the grandfathered in clause, because they couldn't change people's data plans when they were already under contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.