Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Is this possible?

All i saw was that you need the pro package but never mentioned anything about the unlimited.

Thanks

Ethan

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Is this possible?

All i saw was that you need the pro package but never mentioned anything about the unlimited.

Thanks

Ethan

Nope, you'll need to "downgrade" and pay more to tether.. lol

(or jailbreak and keep unlimited plan)

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i pay 30$ for unlimited plus i think its 15$ for 1500 texts now and i dont use 2gigs so if i go to the 2gig plan for 20 dollars with my same text plan and tethering it comes out to 55$ opposed to 45$ so idk if its a good deal but what the heck. and if u use tethering does the data go towards ur plan (the 2gigs) or is that separate?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
$25 - 2 GB plan
$20 - option to tether

Yes, tethering data is from your 2GB plan. Go over and pay an additional $10 per GB.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
So your saying i have to get rid of my unlimited data plan to get tethering?

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
So your saying i have to get rid of my unlimited data plan to get tethering?

If you want to do it legitimately then yes. There is the option to jailbreak, but AT&T might start cracking down on jailbreak tethering.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That's the most frustrating part for me. I really don't mind the changes in the plan, but allowing current users to "keep" the unlimited plan without tethering is kind of a ploy. I know tethering is a big hog for data, but frustrating none the less.

Jonsan

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
The pdaNet would not cost anything else because it's an illegal tethering program. So if Verizon catches you, you're screwed.. And there are plenty of horror stories out there about it happening to people.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you want to do it legitimately then yes. There is the option to jailbreak, but AT&T might start cracking down on jailbreak tethering.

Now that they'll be offering tethering, I'm guessing that they'll be looking to clamp down on people who tether but no pay the fee.

They have in the past changed/added the data package to people's iPhone, so I suspect folks who JB and do a lot of tether will suddenly find themselves with the 2GB data plan and a 20 dollar monthly charge for tethering.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I don't see how ATT can charge people for tethering for very long, and think it will become free within the next few months. I've yet to hear any logical argument as to why someone should pay $20 a month for a hardware feature that has nothing to do with ATT's service. Its only about gouging customers and I think there's going to be a backlash that will force them to allow tethering for free.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Just JB, use MyWi or some JB Tethering App, and keep unlimited. AT&T clearly doesn't know how, or care to tell if people are JBing and tethering.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
For people who aren't jailbreaking, there is hope that AT&T will bring their Data Connect package to iPhone.

$60 for 5GB and tethering.

Actually not a terrible deal. Tethering from Verizon and Sprint is also a $30/month option top of the normal data package (which is also ~$30).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see how ATT can charge people for tethering for very long, and think it will become free within the next few months. I've yet to hear any logical argument as to why someone should pay $20 a month for a hardware feature that has nothing to do with ATT's service. Its only about gouging customers and I think there's going to be a backlash that will force them to allow tethering for free.

Logic has nothing to do with it. People who want it, will have to pay for it. I suspect that this pricing structure is set up so that it prevents the average user who just wants to play with it, to use it, i.e., only those who need it will be willing to pay for it. They don't want everyone to use tethering.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
For people who aren't jailbreaking, there is hope that AT&T will bring their Data Connect package to iPhone.

$60 for 5GB and tethering.

Actually not a terrible deal. Tethering from Verizon and Sprint is also a $30/month option top of the normal data package (which is also ~$30).

Yes it is ... when you can get that for half the price with unlimited data.

I could NOT imagine doubling my data plan for something I feel I should have already ... 5Gb is hardly a lot when I already use over 3Gb consistently and cross over 5Gb quite often. Most people don't even know what tethering is and wouldn't use it, thus it SHOULD be a free feature tacked onto the already pricey data plan IMO.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Yes it is ... when you can get that for half the price with unlimited data.

I could NOT imagine doubling my data plan for something I feel I should have already ... 5Gb is hardly a lot when I already use over 3Gb consistently and cross over 5Gb quite often. Most people don't even know what tethering is and wouldn't use it, thus it SHOULD be a free feature tacked onto the already pricey data plan IMO.

Just figure I would point out that if you use 5 gigs of data it cost the carry around $30.

Anything over 5gigs cost them money.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
well I have been tethering my pc at work for several months. I just checked my data usage on AT&T.com and on my iPhone. I have not even used 2gig since I got my replacement 3gs in Feb. I have my phone streaming music off the internet pretty much from 10-5 every day. it is jb and I use the mywi app. I get and send tons of texts each day along with email. I dont go nuts with apps but I do have several. I dont see how you can go over 5gigs like you said. that is alot!!

rywat

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
The pdaNet would not cost anything else because it's an illegal tethering program. So if Verizon catches you, you're screwed.. And there are plenty of horror stories out there about it happening to people.

Wait, what law is being broken by using pdanet or tethering? I think the word you're looking for is "unauthorized". Also, what does that have to do with Verizon?

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah I'll believe that when I see it. AT&T won't crack down on anything. There was a thread 1-2 days ago where a couple was using their phone's internet for tethering and running upwards of 10-100 Gigs of data per month. Let me know when AT&T starts cracking down on stuff like that. You would think if any employee saw that from an iPhone, they would be a little suspiscious.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I finally got around to trying to jailbreak my 3G this week, with the intent of occasional tethering my new iPad. First attempt failed, no cellular service, but my second attempt with another program worked.

I'm hoping that a combination of the $15 data plan for my iPad, WiFi, and tethering at lunch at work (when I can plug my phone in) will suffice.

I'll see. It seems that the iPad uses more data, probably because some sites treat the iPhone different.

If it turns out that I want to consistently use more than 2GB on my iPad, I have made a mistake in not signing up for the unlimited iPad plan when I had time :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.