Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photojonny

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
I had a look but couldn't see a similar thread. I was wonder which of the various word process/office apps (inc. Pages) is best for editing/creating Word docs?

I use Office 2008 on my Mac, but I tend to save files as .doc, and not .docx as they are then compatible with my work and uni software, which tends to be older. So working with .doc is most important, although .docx support would be nice.

Which of the apps have the most user friendly interface and keyboard, and which will not screw up the formatting when I open them with a genuine MS Word program?

Many thanks for any advice received.

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Honestly, their isn't a really good one. I use Documents2Go and Pages. Documents to go is good for text, while Pages works best for creating things with images. If your looking for viewing they both have their limitations with fonts and formatting and will mess up with that in one way or another.

I work within reason when I use either program, I use them to type stuff up and if needed bring them to my desktop for further formatting.

photojonny

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Thanks for your response. I only need basic text editing, so went with Pages. Found it easier to type on than my Macbook.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I've been wondering weather to go with iWork or docs to go and I think because I use mainly pages on my MacBook I might go with iWork for the iPad.

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Pages is pretty nice, I am glad I have it. I do have Documents to Go installed,but it's not my goto app.

metropolitim

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
DocumentsToGo has going for it that you can work with .docx files, both creating and editing, with much less formatting weirdness as you go back and forth between your app and your application, so to speak. Pages strips out comments and footnotes, which makes it a no-go for me.

DocsToGo also has much nicer integration with iDisk...ironically enough...and other cloud drives.

So as a one-person enterprise who doesn't comments or tracking, .docx support, or cloud integration, Pages would definitely be the way to go. Apart from those, it's very nice to work with, and a great value.

Which is to say, I have it, but it's not my go-to app. :D

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
DocumentsToGo has going for it that you can work with .docx files, both creating and editing, with much less formatting weirdness as you go back and forth between your app and your application, so to speak. Pages strips out comments and footnotes, which makes it a no-go for me.

DocsToGo also has much nicer integration with iDisk...ironically enough...and other cloud drives.

So as a one-person enterprise who doesn't comments or tracking, .docx support, or cloud integration, Pages would definitely be the way to go. Apart from those, it's very nice to work with, and a great value.

Which is to say, I have it, but it's not my go-to app. :D

At first I was not real hip on D2G but over the last week or so it's started winning me over. I like it, it seems to work good and I have no complaints yet. I'm sure it will improve also with updates so for now I'm satisfied.

It's a nice App on both the iP and iPad. I only use it on the iPhone for quick viewing tho. Can't really imagine having to be productive on a screen so tiny

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
QuickOffice! Check it out :D

I love quickoffice on my iPhone. It's too bad it wasn't out sooner for the iPad, I bought pages and numbers because I needed something sooner. I am waiting to hear if quickofice is going to be worth the cost since I already have pages and numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.