Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160910-mac_mini_hands.jpg

AppleInsider claims that it has received multiple reports of supply shortages in Apple's Mac mini line, suggesting that an update may be approaching. The reports come from both purchasers looking to place volume orders as well as from checks of reseller supplies. MacRumors has heard similar whispers in recent days, although a time frame for a release is currently unknown.
The shortage has been verified four times over by AppleInsider, which has received numerous reports that suggest the constraints are indicative of new models on the horizon, rather than intermittent delays resulting from the onset of the back-to-school buying season, which sometimes sees Apple curb the flow of Macs to its distribution channels in favor of filling large orders to universities.
Rumors of potential updates to the Mac mini have been sparse, in part due to the fact that the line is only just now approaching the end of its usual product cycle, having been revamped last October.

Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) next week might initially appear to be an opportunity for Apple to launch new Mac minis, but the developer focus of the annual event has typically restricted product announcements primarily to the company's professional lines. Consequently, even if a refresh is imminent, it may not appear until a quiet update in the days or weeks following WWDC.

A report from earlier this year suggested that Apple may be planning to replace the Mac mini's existing DVI output with HDMI, making the machine more easily compatible with home theater systems. Sources have been otherwise quiet about what might be included in an update, although the Mac mini may face some of the same issues experienced with the 13" MacBook Pro related to a licensing dispute between Intel and NVIDIA. Those issues, combined with technical constraints in the MacBook Pro's small form factor that may or may not necessarily be shared in the Mac mini, led Apple to continue using Intel's Core 2 Duo processors in its smallest pro notebook in the latest revision rather than switching to the Core i5 or i7 offerings used in the larger MacBook Pros.

Article Link: Supply Shortages Hint at Possible Mac Mini Refresh

Eclipse278

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
They won't remove the mini displayport for HDMI. What they could do is simply package the mini with a mini displayport -> HDMI adapter that would work just as well.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
HOw about 10.7 have the features of the AppleTV built in, then when you first power up the machine you choose which environment you want to run.
(and of course could be switched back later on)
Then combine the Mac Mini and the AppleTV into one product.

AtariMac

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Southeastern, PA
I love the Mini. We have a few here at work and my kid has one at home. Damn little suckers just work. I hope the Mini line has a long and prosperous future.

cervaro

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Kent, UK
This is something I've been waiting for. Lots of external storage, large monitor, and easy Home Theater connection. Perfect.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
How 'bout i3 while maintaining Mini Display Port?

Anything is preferable to an i3. As Shakespeare said, a Celeron by any other name would be as crappy.

Honestly, I'd just be happy if this pushes down the used prices on the old models a little. The used market for these things has been insane.

GXT

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
Hopefully It Stays Alive...

With all there iPad, iPhone hype going on, hopefully Apple remember to keep this great product alive with new features (I like Blueray, but may be too expensive). The last set of announcements were just marginal improvements :(

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
I wish apple would make them in black to match monitors and home theaters. :)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I actually think it's more likely that they would use two mini Display Ports allowing either to also run audio so users can use an HDMI convert cable to the mini Display Port. It would be great if it had two mini Display Ports and able to drive two 24" LED ACDs.

This definitely isn't getting Core i3/i5/i7 nor is it getting quad core as people want. Apple will use the same strategy as it has with the 13" MBP and MB. It will probably release a 21.5" iMac, and MBA using the same C2D and Nvidia 320m also. The Mac mini is just one of five Macs that uses this same strategy of components.

In Early 2011, Apple will finally be required to replace the C2Ds used in these Macs as Intel will be done making C2D CPUs at the end of 2010. What does Apple do about graphics then? Does it go with Intel and a discrete GPU, or just the GMA HD for graphics, or does it use AMD CPUs and pair an ATI chipset? The update in Early 2011 is where Apple will be forced to change strategies with these Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.