Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 3, 2010, 06:54 PM   #1
yalag
macrumors 6502a

How do I subscribe to Podcast in iPad?

I want to introduce my parents to podcast, I think it's a great way to move them into online video (youtube as well). But how do I subscribe to Podcast in iPad? I can see the episodes and they can click download on each one but I can't find a way to subscribe, so that means they have to check back for new episodes each time? I think that really defects the purpose of podcast!
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:14 PM   #2
HengenJL
macrumors 6502

Unfortunately there is no way to subscribe to a podcast directly on the iPad. I agree with you in that it's an oversight, but this is the way Apple programmed the iPhone OS... I personally have sent Apple feedback on this exact issue and many more have probably done so as well.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Sebrobertson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HengenJL View Post
Unfortunately there is no way to subscribe to a podcast directly on the iPad. I agree with you in that it's an oversight, but this is the way Apple programmed the iPhone OS... I personally have sent Apple feedback on this exact issue and many more have probably done so as well.
Wait, so the only way to subscribe is on your computer? Bummer. I've been on my iPad for an hour trying to figure this out.
Sebrobertson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:42 AM   #4
ksmith80209
macrumors 6502a

Use the Podcaster app. It let's you subscribe, download, etc. without iTunes. I've been using it on my iPhone for a couple of years (used to be called RSS Player).
ksmith80209 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Julien
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith80209 View Post
Use the Podcaster app. It let's you subscribe, download, etc. without iTunes. I've been using it on my iPhone for a couple of years (used to be called RSS Player).
Just looked and it's not a Universal App (iPhone only). Is there an iPod or universal Podcast app?
Julien is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #6
aduteau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Just looked and it's not a Universal App (iPhone only). Is there an iPod or universal Podcast app?
I heard that "pocket tunes" app (its universal) lets you download podcasts without iTunes
aduteau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:43 AM   #7
achanja
macrumors newbie

Next generation of iOS should have dedicated CPU.

If we use an app together with the podcast downlaoding. It will slow down our device with one CPU. This may be the reason. But i need a dedicated processor to do this job. This is a big adventage if we can do live with iPod/iPad/iPhone. BB is getting it with live chat.
achanja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:51 AM   #8
petvas
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to petvas
The ability go subscribe to podcasts using the iTunes app of the iPad should hopefully come in a forthcoming update. I too wanted many times to subscribe to a podcast from my iPad and couldn't. I am sure that Apple will eventually fix this. Let's see how long it will take them.
Of course third party apps are welcome, so maybe podcaster will come to the iPad.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:53 AM   #9
snouter
macrumors 6502a

This was definitely my #1 criticism of my iPad. I really wanted to use it for poscasts, and it was a really frustrating device for podcasts.
snouter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:05 AM   #10
petvas
macrumors 68040

I think one of the major issues for a third party app would be the lack of true multitasking. The user would have to open the app which in turn would then automatically download the subscribed podcasts. My only real hope is the native iTunes app which is allowed to run in the background. I dont expect that to change with iOS 4.2
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Tobster3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
yes, I have also sent Apple feedback on this issue too.
Tobster3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:40 AM   #12
petvas
macrumors 68040

I just found an app that supposedly has podcast subscriptions, but I haven't bought it, so I don't really know if it works well. The app is named Pocket Tunes Radio
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:55 AM   #13
longdogs
macrumors regular

Try Drivecast. It allows you to keep podcasts in sync on the web, iPad and iPhone. I've been using it for about a month and it works well, to the point that I no longer bother using iTunes for podcasts. http://drivecast.eu to sign up, and you can manage subscriptions there. The iPad app allows you to download and listen to podcasts, but you can't manage them from there.

I have no connection to Drivecast apart from being a satisfied user.
longdogs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:35 PM   #14
aduteau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas View Post
I just found an app that supposedly has podcast subscriptions, but I haven't bought it, so I don't really know if it works well. The app is named Pocket Tunes Radio
Just bought Pocket Tunes app, and I can say that you can subscribe podcasts from the app itself (download then delete podcasts if you like, or just stream them on the fly to listen), listen to web radios, buy music from itunes, is iOS 4 ready.

Only downside I have with podcasts in this app, is that you can not manually enter an .xml address for a podcast .... so if the podcast is not featured in the search database ... I did not find a way to subscribe to it.

A not so bad UI for iPad too !

I recommend !
aduteau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:01 PM   #15
Diane B
macrumors member

Stitcher

I've used the Stitcher app since I got my Ipad in May. Works quite well and easy to use
http://stitcher.com/home.php

It's a universal app but makes little difference that it isn't Ipad specific.

Well, may have to rescind this. Still works for me but I couldn't find it in the app store.

Another easy way to listen or watch podcasts is to simply use the iTunes app, choose podcasts, look in categories and find your favorites. Once you find them, then just search by name next time and it will come up quickly You can then choose the date you want to listen to, stream it or dl it. Almost easier than subscribing IMO and no need to go through the sync process. .

Last edited by Diane B; Sep 11, 2010 at 04:28 PM.
Diane B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:45 AM   #16
Julien
macrumors 601

Looking at DriveCast, Stitcher and Pocket Tunes they all seem to be audio only Podcasts. Is this correct and if so what Apps do video Podcasts?
Julien is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:01 PM   #17
derekjd
macrumors member

MediaFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Looking at DriveCast, Stitcher and Pocket Tunes they all seem to be audio only Podcasts. Is this correct and if so what Apps do video Podcasts?
Try MediaFly. I sync my iPad, HTC Evo (Android), Mac and Media PC (Boxee) with it. No need for iTunes to sync and it supports video.

Derek

BTW anyone know what happen to the stitcher app?
derekjd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:41 AM   #18
Blue star
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hi hengen,,,ditto here mate on the same issue,,,did you hear back,I didn't,,never do,,I just picture them hitting the delete button ,but maybe they read them,,,just wish they would respond,,or find someone they have responded to? Cheers
Blue star is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:33 PM   #19
ggibson913
macrumors regular

Look for downcast

Its a great app to subscribe to a podcast.
ggibson913 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:37 PM   #20
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Downcast.

Awesome features, syncs across multiple devices, universal app, great UI design, OPML support, sleep timer, streaming, background downloading, etc.

The author has been quick to supply updates (like for the iPad 3rd gen), fixes, and is always rolling out great new features.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/downc...393858566?mt=8

Its a steal for $1.99
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 02:22 AM   #21
Ooks
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Downcast.

Awesome features, syncs across multiple devices, universal app, great UI design, OPML support, sleep timer, streaming, background downloading, etc.

The author has been quick to supply updates (like for the iPad 3rd gen), fixes, and is always rolling out great new features.

Its a steal for $1.99
Thanks for a great recommendation. Downloaded this yesterday and I love it so much already. Expect this to be one of those aps that apple acquires and rolls into iOS someday.
Ooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 08:43 AM   #22
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Whaat? There is no way to download and listen to a podcast on the iPad without buying a 3rd party app?
Eadfrith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 08:46 AM   #23
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Downcast.

Its a steal for $1.99
I agree, Downcast is a great podcast app for iOS devices.
Old May 31, 2012, 01:50 PM   #24
carlsson
macrumors regular

This is a f*n joke! It's 2012 and we have iOS 5, and you can't subscribe to a podcast from iTunes on your iDevice!?!?

Sometimes I just wanna strangle Apple....
carlsson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 02:10 PM   #25
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
This is a f*n joke! It's 2012 and we have iOS 5, and you can't subscribe to a podcast from iTunes on your iDevice!?!?

Sometimes I just wanna strangle Apple....
It's not as straightforward as you'd think, but Apple should be able to come up with a better solution soon than iTunes sync.

Apple should avoid hammering the podcasters' servers with multiple downloads of the same podcast on multiple devices for the same user. Maybe something with iCloud would work (like Downcast). Apple may have wanted to limit the stress on the iCloud servers for the first year. Hopefully, it will be a feature of iOS 6!
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting