Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
MobileRSS is now available on iTunes! Hands down the best Google Reader on iPhone/iTouch is now on iPad.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Ive been sort of waiting for MobileRSS. I liked it on my iP and so I have to see how the iPad Apps turns out. It's going to be hard to beat NewsRack tho at this point. I'm pretty satisfied with it

So DL-ing now and will see how well it looks/works

iTunes Link

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I thought everyone was waiting for "Reeder". :)

am still waiting!!! its been 3/4 days since it was submitted for approval! come on apple, sort it out! unless its been rejected of course! :-/

i have tried a whole bunch of rss apps, and none of them met my needs... i thought about just writing my own.. until i heard of reeder...

reeder (imho) is by far the one that fits my needs perfectly... (so no need to write my own either... lol )

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Ive been sort of waiting for MobileRSS. I liked it on my iP and so I have to see how the iPad Apps turns out. It's going to be hard to beat NewsRack tho at this point. I'm pretty satisfied with it

So DL-ing now and will see how well it looks/works

iTunes Link

Would you mind posting a quick review comparing it to news rack?

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
MobileRSS is now available on iTunes! Hands down the best Google Reader on iPhone/iTouch is now on iPad.

It looks quite average to me. Zero eye candy and basic functionality, at a higher price. I must be missing something.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Bummer, this is not what I've been waiting for and oddly this is the biggest piece of crap RSS reader I've seen yet. At least The Early Edition makes their crap look really pretty.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
caubeck said:
It looks quite average to me. Zero eye candy and basic functionality, at a higher price. I must be missing something.

Most important funcionality would be: it syncs and download articles and their images in the background. While you're reading, the images of the other articles in that fedped will be downloaded. So when you're jumping to the next article, your images will be there waiting.

Synching and filtering is also done instantly and yes, it also allows you to read offline.

Also, it has by far the most integration with other services. Digg,Twitter, readitlater, instapaper, etc.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
I' m loving pulse news reader right now a nice change from the ho hum interface of the usual rss readers

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
I thought everyone was waiting for "Reeder". :)

I have been checking the app store twice daily for Reeder. Grrrrrrrrr

If it is as fast to cache local rss feeds as the iPhone, there will be no need (for me anyway) to bother with any other RSS reader.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Does reeder require a google account? I ****ing hate google.

That's actually the one feature I like about google is the RSS.

I use netnewswire for my macs, iphone and ipad. Being able to pull up my feeds in a browser when I want is a + to me.

I tried pulse and didn't like it at all.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006

On surface it may look quite average, but what's inside that matters. Spammerhamster is spot on.

The app has been around longer than a lot of other Google readers and the developers have added a lot to the app to make it even more enjoyable to use even offline! It loads and syncs real fast. I don't know why but I've always liked the rubber band effect by pulling down and releasing to refresh/look for new items. Although it may not have eye candy, the app is visually clean, very stable and 100% functional.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
It looks decent... But that Pulse app looks like liquid sex.. i want it.

I can't fathom this attraction to the Pulse app. I have it and am considering deleting it. It has zero functionality. It's just pretty....in some eyes....not mine. Blockiness of it just drives me crazy. It's just a bunch of dark boxes with words and pictures in it.

NewsRack or MobileRSS or Reeder kicks the snot out of Pulse or Early Edition. They are true RSS readers with real functionality. Not just fluff.

Steps down off of soap box...

Steve

OpenThirdeye

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Bummer, this is not what I've been waiting for and oddly this is the biggest piece of crap RSS reader I've seen yet. At least The Early Edition makes their crap look really pretty.

There's plenty of us who don't care if our news looks "pretty"...we want the information and we want it quickly.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It looks decent... But that Pulse app looks like liquid sex.. i want it.

:eek: Me Too! A bit more refinement, bug fixes, and some added functionality and it's there. They've certainly nailed the UI though.

There's plenty of us who don't care if our news looks "pretty"...we want the information and we want it quickly.

I'm sure there must be an ASCII reader out there for you somewhere! :p

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I can't fathom this attraction to the Pulse app. I have it and am considering deleting it. It has zero functionality. It's just pretty....in some eyes....not mine. Blockiness of it just drives me crazy. It's just a bunch of dark boxes with words and pictures in it.

Deleted it, don't miss it. In real world usage it's even less functional than early edition.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
For bunger:

I've used MobileRSS Pro on my iPhone since about day 1 and just recently started using NewsRack on the iPad b/c there were not any even close to it available. Since using it on the iPad I also installed NewsRack on my iPhone and have been using both MobileRSS Pro and NewsRack on the iPhone.

Today since MobileRSS HD came out now I have both Apps on the iPhone and iPad. It's given me time to see more of how they both work on each device.

I'm a big fan of MobileRSS on both devices but the truth is NewsRack is a little more polished at the moment. Speeds are equal and the UI are very similar.

I've noticed tho that NewsRack displays the articles better using a variety of things like edges around images and little things like that where MobileRSS simply displays the image with no frame around the image.

When using MobileRSS and you tap an article from your list the list windows remains open till you tap the article on the right side on the page being displayed. NewsRack actually closes the menu when you make a selection.

NewsRack also contains a little more eye candy as I like to say. The feed icons are polished and nice where MobileRSS does not do this, it simply shows the small icon without any framing around it.

I know these are very minor things but it's part of what I mean when I say polished.

They both work great but NewsRack is a little better to look at. I don't think we should have to tap to select an article see 1/2 of it on the page and then tap again to close the feed list of articles. It should slide closed after tapping it.

I'm keeping both of course but will most likely use NewsRack and just let MobileRSS set while it's updated a little more and polished thru feedback that comes in to the developer.

Either way both Apps are great. NewsRack seems to be a little bit ahead of MobileRSS at the moment.

As for the iPhone App side. NewsRack still remains a little bit out in front due to the polished UI and the neat little "Feed" button at the top center of the App. That is just neat no matter what. MobileRSS has nothing like it.

Just the facts as I see them. Not trying to prevent anyone from choosing one over the other, just mentioning what I've seen so far. For those who have not used either one.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA

NewsRack or MobileRSS or Reeder kicks the snot out of Pulse or Early Edition. They are true RSS readers with real functionality. Not just fluff.

Steps down off of soap box...

Steve

hehehe, you said fluff. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.