Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 4, 2010, 02:04 AM   #1
macswitcha2
macrumors 65816

Is there a way to recover deleted text messages?

Does iTunes keep a record of all your texts? Or is there a way through AT&T?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 02:07 AM   #2
stridemat

When you attach your iPhone to your computer it should make a backup. This backup should include

call log
sms messages
contacts
calendar
settings
mail accounts
email

However, when restoring it will erase all the new information on your iPhone.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 02:19 AM   #3
macswitcha2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
When you attach your iPhone to your computer it should make a backup. This backup should include

call log
sms messages
contacts
calendar
settings
mail accounts
email

However, when restoring it will erase all the new information on your iPhone.
Even after you erase a text from your phone it still has it stored?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Ivan P
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
Yes, in a backup that is made by iTunes. However, this backup only contains everything (including texts) up to the last time you synced to your computer - if you got the text after you last synced with iTunes then you're out of luck.

If you know this text will be in the backup, connect to iTunes and IMMEDIATELY 'slide to cancel' as soon as the sync starts - otherwise it will make a new backup, replacing the old one and thus removing the text you want. Now, hit 'restore' in iTunes, and once that's done select to restore from backup. Providing the text you want was in the backup, it will now be on your phone again.

The only catch is, any texts you got after that backup was made will not be restored (as it does not merge backups, it merely makes a new one based off of what is currently on your phone).
Ivan P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 04:09 AM   #5
gibsenf
macrumors newbie

When I contacted apple customer support, they told me the only way to permanent remove all text messages and ooh yes also emails , is to do a master reset, or restore to factory setting on iTunes. This intern removes all data from your phone. The downside to this is all your contacts , apps, and settings are erased. You also can't backup from previous because then it puts it back in ur phone. I know I have done it.
gibsenf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:34 AM   #6
dreal
macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a registered user of an iOS Data recovery tool. I purchased it few weeks ago and used it to recover my Notes and some important books. It's also advertised to recover text messages and contacts or any data. Maybe you can take it for a try. They provide free trial version before buying.

Here is the link: http://www.recovery-ios.com/ios-data-recovery.html

Hope it's useful!
dreal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2014, 01:16 AM   #7
lisa white
macrumors newbie

Yes, if you have a iTunes backup file, you can still recover your lost iphone messages by extracting from iTunes backup file, and you may need an iphone backup extractor to help.
lisa white is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting