Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Does iTunes keep a record of all your texts? Or is there a way through AT&T?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
When you attach your iPhone to your computer it should make a backup. This backup should include

call log
sms messages
contacts
calendar
settings
mail accounts
email

However, when restoring it will erase all the new information on your iPhone.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
When you attach your iPhone to your computer it should make a backup. This backup should include

call log
sms messages
contacts
calendar
settings
mail accounts
email

However, when restoring it will erase all the new information on your iPhone.

Even after you erase a text from your phone it still has it stored?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Yes, in a backup that is made by iTunes. However, this backup only contains everything (including texts) up to the last time you synced to your computer - if you got the text after you last synced with iTunes then you're out of luck.

If you know this text will be in the backup, connect to iTunes and IMMEDIATELY 'slide to cancel' as soon as the sync starts - otherwise it will make a new backup, replacing the old one and thus removing the text you want. Now, hit 'restore' in iTunes, and once that's done select to restore from backup. Providing the text you want was in the backup, it will now be on your phone again.

The only catch is, any texts you got after that backup was made will not be restored (as it does not merge backups, it merely makes a new one based off of what is currently on your phone).

gibsenf

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
When I contacted apple customer support, they told me the only way to permanent remove all text messages and ooh yes also emails , is to do a master reset, or restore to factory setting on iTunes. This intern removes all data from your phone. The downside to this is all your contacts , apps, and settings are erased. You also can't backup from previous because then it puts it back in ur phone. I know I have done it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.