Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 4, 2010, 09:33 AM   #1
arbitrage
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon , Canada
iPad and Canon 7D and USB Card Reader Compatibility...

I have a 7D on order, I read on a review from DPreview that the 7D isn't setup as a direct transfer USB protocol like most cameras are. It says that it needs to install a file onto the computer to transfer files directly through the USB cable??? Has anyone used a direct USB to CCK on the iPad? Does it work?

Also does anyone have a link to a list of know compatible CF card readers that the iPad will accept. I have two multi-card readers and both require too much power.

My 7D is on order, my current T1i transfers just fine through USB and of course since it uses SD cards I can also use that part of the CCK, it seems weird that the 7D wouldn't be able to do this but who know

Thanks for any help

Edit: Here is the quote from the review... "With the 7D connected via USB cable, the only transfer method available is WIA - Canon doesn't provide a simple 'mass storage device' feature in the camera (enabling the camera to act as a normal card reader). Because of this a driver is installed when you connect the camera to your computer the first time to ensure the transfer of all your images (as drag-and-drop WIA doesn't support RAW)."
arbitrage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2
ericrall
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
I'd like to know too if anyone's tried this

I have a 7D and an iPad but can't find camera connection kit!
ericrall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 05:13 AM   #3
smr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Shropshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
I have a 7D on order, I read on a review from DPreview that the 7D isn't setup as a direct transfer USB protocol like most cameras are. It says that it needs to install a file onto the computer to transfer files directly through the USB cable??? Has anyone used a direct USB to CCK on the iPad? Does it work?

Also does anyone have a link to a list of know compatible CF card readers that the iPad will accept. I have two multi-card readers and both require too much power.

My 7D is on order, my current T1i transfers just fine through USB and of course since it uses SD cards I can also use that part of the CCK, it seems weird that the 7D wouldn't be able to do this but who know

Thanks for any help

Edit: Here is the quote from the review... "With the 7D connected via USB cable, the only transfer method available is WIA - Canon doesn't provide a simple 'mass storage device' feature in the camera (enabling the camera to act as a normal card reader). Because of this a driver is installed when you connect the camera to your computer the first time to ensure the transfer of all your images (as drag-and-drop WIA doesn't support RAW)."
I'm also planning getting a 7D so would be interested to find out.

My Kingston card reader (FCR-HS219/1 link) can be used to read SD cards on my iPad using the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) USB adapter, but I don't have any CF cards to test this with.

Another option might be to use an SD to CF adapter in the 7D (assuming they work) and then read the SD cards direct on with the CCK SD reader. (I'm hoping this works, then I will just use the SD cards I bought for my Canon 500 with the 7D).
smr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4
NickRno77
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
I'm thinking of purchasing an iPad for the reviewing my images while out on a shoot. I have a Canon 1D MKIII, i also would like to read my Canon jpg and RAW files into a iPad and iPhone, I found this vid demonstrating the use of the CCK.

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/5214

I hope this helps answering part of your question.

Nick
NickRno77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:42 AM   #5
jclardy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I'll be able to give a little insight later today...I get my iPad CCK after ordering a month ago!

I don't have a 7D but I do have a T2i which is essentially the 7D's little brother. I would think their USB transfer protocol's are the same.
__________________
Swift Fox Software | Amounts - Expense Tracker | Rocket Chimp | TargetTap Lite | TargetTap
jclardy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:42 PM   #6
smr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Shropshire, UK
My Canon 7D body arrived earlier today

Having read around a bit, I decided to buy a CF card for the 7D rather than using an SD to CF adapter, mainly to ensure the storage is fast enough but also to avoid too many electrical connections and potential incompatibility problems etc.

From my preliminary tests using a 16GB SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s CF card using Large JPEG photos (I have yet to try RAW):

1) When I connect the 7D directly to the iPad using the USB cable, the Photos app opens and I can import images onto the iPad So, if the 7D is using a non-standard USB mode, the iPad and CCK can cope with it.

2) I can also import from the CF card when it is plugged into my Kingston reader (which, in turn, is plugged into the CCK USB-dock connector)

3) There are some strange inconsistencies in the imported images when viewed on the iPad I will try to post some pics in due course, but it looks as if a few columns of pixels are missing now and again. Also, the photos do not seem to be displayed at full resolution i.e. 18MP. The good news is that when I transfer the images from the iPad to my iMac, the imported 7D images are full resolution and do not show these inconsistencies.

So it looks like the iPad can be easily used to back-up photos from the 7D, although the Photos app is not ideal for displaying the images. I guess I need to look for another image viewing app to see the imported images at full res on the iPad - any ideas?
smr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:18 AM   #7
Streethawk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Manchester, UK
I suspect the iPad is creating a small jpeg preview image, much like Aperture does when you copy a project to an external hard drive.

I also have a 7D, (well, two 7D's actually), but i've not been able to source a camera connection kit. But its good to know the import works.
__________________
32gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPad 3G, 8gb iPhone 3G
Streethawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:43 AM   #8
smr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Shropshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
I suspect the iPad is creating a small jpeg preview image, much like Aperture does when you copy a project to an external hard drive.
I think you are right.

I have bought Photogene for iPad. When you view an imported file, it shows the same inconsistency I saw in Photos (i.e. missing/shifted columns of pixels). So I guess Photos creates a lower res jpeg when it imports (and this process has a bug creating the inconsistency), and any apps that load the photo load this low-res version. I guess the iPad stores the full res version somewhere, and that is then available to be downloaded via ImageCapture on the Mac.

So whilst this means the iPad is great for backing-up photos, it does reduce the ability to check photos on the iPad. Hopefully someone will come up with an app that can either access and display the full res version, or, if that is not possible, an app that can use the CCK to import the display photos (bypassing Photos).
smr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Streethawk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by smr View Post
I think you are right.

I have bought Photogene for iPad. When you view an imported file, it shows the same inconsistency I saw in Photos (i.e. missing/shifted columns of pixels). So I guess Photos creates a lower res jpeg when it imports (and this process has a bug creating the inconsistency), and any apps that load the photo load this low-res version. I guess the iPad stores the full res version somewhere, and that is then available to be downloaded via ImageCapture on the Mac.

So whilst this means the iPad is great for backing-up photos, it does reduce the ability to check photos on the iPad. Hopefully someone will come up with an app that can either access and display the full res version, or, if that is not possible, an app that can use the CCK to import the display photos (bypassing Photos).
I think it would be possible for an app to do this, but very very slow, which is probably putting developers off making such an app. The big issue is going to come from the lack of memory. Its going to be very hard to do anything meaningful to an 18mp Jpeg even with just 256mb RAM. If you're hoping for RAW adjustments, NR etc, i dont think we'll see it.

Perhaps a cloud based photo editor could work well with the iPad, taking all the strain off the device.

Of course another option is to send the file to your mac and use a Remote Desktop file to access Photoshop or whatever. Thats not currently very practical, but i hope to see it become better with further development of apps.
__________________
32gb iPhone 4, 32gb iPad 3G, 8gb iPhone 3G
Streethawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:10 AM   #10
NickRno77
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Its a shame you have to copy the jpg to the iPad, would be nice to be able to view directly from the memory card .
NickRno77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:42 AM   #11
smr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Shropshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
I think it would be possible for an app to do this, but very very slow, which is probably putting developers off making such an app. The big issue is going to come from the lack of memory. Its going to be very hard to do anything meaningful to an 18mp Jpeg even with just 256mb RAM. If you're hoping for RAW adjustments, NR etc, i dont think we'll see it.

Perhaps a cloud based photo editor could work well with the iPad, taking all the strain off the device.

Of course another option is to send the file to your mac and use a Remote Desktop file to access Photoshop or whatever. Thats not currently very practical, but i hope to see it become better with further development of apps.
I'm not really bothered about editing - I really just want to check focus/exposure/depth of field etc on a display larger than that on the 7D.

Some recent wildlife pics (whilst on holiday in India) on my 500D looked great when displayed/zoomed on the camera screen, but had some minor problems when viewed on my 24" iMac. I'm hoping to use the iPad to check photos whilst on holiday, so I'm just looking for a photo viewer really. I would also like to avoid cloud based/remote desktop solutions - these need a reliable/fast internet connection, which often isn't possible (no mobile phone, let alone mobile internet, in Assam!)

Of course I could just take my MacBook with me, but part of the reason I got an iPad was to avoid lugging a laptop about!
smr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:55 PM   #12
jclardy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I noticed some of the same things with my T2I. It can import the raw files but it will create a jpeg preview that is probably about 2-3MP. When you import the files on your computer you get just the CR2 file. It also imports video but it is not able to play it back unfortunately, it just shows a an icon with MOV on it...I am hoping OS4 will change that but I don't have my hopes up.

Having the CCK kind of makes me wish the iPad had a single usb port, being able to plug in a keyboard/camera/external storage without an adapter would have been pretty sweet.
__________________
Swift Fox Software | Amounts - Expense Tracker | Rocket Chimp | TargetTap Lite | TargetTap
jclardy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Hammie
macrumors 65816
 
Hammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wash, DC Metro
Check the thread that lists compatible devices with the CCK. There are a couple multiple-card readers listed.
Hammie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 08:13 AM   #14
themidithief
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I tested the CCK with the Lumix TZ7/ZS3 and the Canon 7D. Read here what I found out:

Lumix TZ7, CCK and the iPad

Canon 7D, CCK and the iPad
themidithief is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 01:33 PM   #15
Rov2222
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
IPAD y Canon 7D

Alguien sabe si se puede utilizad la IPAD para ver las fotos mientras en tiempo real a medida que se van tomando para así poder ir haciendo ajustes como si tuviese las aplicaciones utility de Canon que me permite ir viendo las mismas mientas las voy tomando?
No se si esto merita otro post, pero veo que este grupo ya ha estado trabajando en el tema.
Gracias!!
Rov2222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5S/5C compatibility with Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader djc6 iPhone Accessories 9 Feb 24, 2014 10:55 PM
USB 3.0 SD Card Reader with multiple SD slots? Switchfoot Mac Peripherals 8 Dec 27, 2013 03:19 PM
USB SD card reader with some taste? luketheduke Mac Peripherals 5 Sep 29, 2013 08:59 AM
USB Card Reader Not Recognized Mork Mac Basics and Help 1 Aug 12, 2013 07:45 AM
DX.com 2-in-1 TF Card to SD Card Adapter / USB Card Reader tengtengvn Mac Peripherals 2 May 1, 2013 02:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC