Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:15 AM   #1
aethier
macrumors 6502a

Huge Powersupply Problem

hello, all.

i managed to somewho get an LED in my powerbooks poweradapter plug (the part that looks like the headphone jack, but for the power). when i noticed it was there, i accidently pushed it in a little ... so yeah

i can no longer plug in my powerbook, and though i am saving for the next revision of powerbooks, i am still about 1000 dollars short, so i can't simply by a new one.

anybody have any suggestions as to how to get it out?

thanks a lot

aethier

ps: this sure is embarresing
oh and sorry for bad spelling
aethier is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:38 AM   #2
keysersoze
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethier
hello, all.

i managed to somewho get an LED in my powerbooks poweradapter plug (the part that looks like the headphone jack, but for the power). when i noticed it was there, i accidently pushed it in a little ... so yeah

i can no longer plug in my powerbook, and though i am saving for the next revision of powerbooks, i am still about 1000 dollars short, so i can't simply by a new one.

anybody have any suggestions as to how to get it out?

thanks a lot

aethier

I feel like some sort of suction-mechanism would work... is it jammed in really tight? Anyway tweezers might help? Maybe a syringe could be used to decrease the pressure and "pull" the led out?

keysersoze is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:49 AM   #3
aethier
macrumors 6502a

hmm, some of those ideas sound pretty good

i should have a syringe at home somewhere, and if not i could get my sister to bring me home one (she works at the animal hospital)

though it is in there pretty good, i want to cry, as i am at school, so i cannot use my laptop, and i am stuck using the pc's because the imacs networking is f'd up

aethier
aethier is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2004, 02:11 PM   #4
point665
macrumors regular

Shutdown and take the battery out of the powerbook (hey you dont want to shortcircuit the thing do you?)... Here you can try taking a paperclip and bending the tip to possibly get the piece out.
point665 is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:28 PM   #5
Gambuchi
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Gambuchi
Missing LED

What I might do:

Get a toothpick, cut about 1 inch off either end of it then touch the extreme end of the toothpick in some superglue and then immediately place it on the recessed LED. Hold very steady for approximately 1 minute and then gently try to pull the toothpick (with attached LED) back out so that it is protruding just a tiny bit from the computer case. Once there, use a razor blade to gently remove the toothpick from the surface of the LED.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:33 PM   #6
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
That superglue idea sounds good, you might also try a sharp pointed screw and screw into the LED slightly to pull it out.
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:47 PM   #7
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethier
Must not forget that it is also...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers