Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Here's the latest disturbing aspect of ATT's sudden switch in iPhone/iPad data plans. According to one news story (sorry, can't find the source now...) persons who purchase the new iPhone expected out this month will have to sign-up for one of the new plans.

As well, according to CNET's FAQ on the new ATT tiered pricing:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20006780-266.html

Current smartphone subscribers, including iPhone and iPad customers who have already signed up for the $30 unlimited data plans, are grandfathered in. They can continue to use those unlimited plans until their contracts run out.

until their contracts run out

So, I'm screwed. My contract has already run out! (i.e. that's why I'm qualified to purchase the new iPhone at the subsidized price. Most of the people buying the new phone will have had their contracts run-out and will be signing new contracts.

If they don't get you on the first rule, they get you on the second...

These might just be different interpretations of the same rule/statement from ATT. One of the problems is that this has happened so fast that news media doesn't even have it all sorted-out yet...

I will SO go back to Verizon if they do get the iPhone this fall. (Or whenever that happens.) I'll happily pay whatever fee ATT extracts from me to be relieved of their bad service and anti-consumer attitude. I was a Verizon customer for many years, and never had a complaint about their coverage or their excellent customer service. While they are generally the most expensive carrier, you get what you pay for. They would never pull this kind of crap out of a hat like this.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Glad that I'm doing an early upgrade and have only had my contract open for 7 months.

UNLIMITED DATA FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR :D

stinks for you though :/
I hope they kind of give you a break or something...

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Just to point out the obvious here, but Verizon (and probably Sprint) will follow suit with AT&T and create similar plans for their phones in a month or so. Most mobile carriers have a "follow the leader" mentality.

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
Here's the latest disturbing aspect of ATT's sudden switch in iPhone/iPad data plans. According to one news story (sorry, can't find the source now...) persons who purchase the new iPhone expected out this month will have to sign-up for one of the new plans.

As well, according to CNET's FAQ on the new ATT tiered pricing:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20006780-266.html

until their contracts run out

So, I'm screwed. My contract has already run out! (i.e. that's why I'm qualified to purchase the new iPhone at the subsidized price. Most of the people buying the new phone will have had their contracts run-out and will be signing new contracts.

If they don't get you on the first rule, they get you on the second...

These might just be different interpretations of the same rule/statement from ATT. One of the problems is that this has happened so fast that news media doesn't even have it all sorted-out yet...

I will SO go back to Verizon if they do get the iPhone this fall. (Or whenever that happens.) I'll happily pay whatever fee ATT extracts from me to be relieved of their bad service and anti-consumer attitude. I was a Verizon customer for many years, and never had a complaint about their coverage or their excellent customer service. While they are generally the most expensive carrier, you get what you pay for. They would never pull this kind of crap out of a hat like this.

Your reading into this too much, it clearly states that any current customer who is on an unlimited plan is grandfathered in.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Its already been stated multiple times that AT&T will allow current iPhone owners to keep their unlimited plans....Only new customers will be required to switch to the tiered plans :rolleyes:

iPhone3GCrazed

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Something about that CNET article is irking me. They might have their facts wrong (I sure hope they do.)

Anyone buying the new iPhone that is supposed to be released this summer will have to sign up for one of the new plans.

Huh? This is contradictory to what I've seen AT&T telling people, including me, on their Facebook page.

sms0217ny

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Curious about people's thoughts on this:

Does the grandfathered in clause apply if you are eligible for a full discounted upgrade but are 1 year into your contract and are resigning a 2 year commitment?

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
AT&T has already stated that if you are already on an unlimited plan, when you go to upgrade to a new iPhone, you'll still be able to choose the unlimited data plan option. HOWEVER, if you choose to get off of it and go for the cheaper, there is a chance you wont be able to get back on. I called AT&T yesterday and those are his exact words he told me.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Why doesn't everyone who is moaning and whinging about this simply move to another provider? Do we really need your complaints repeated ad-nauseum when you can simply switch?

sms0217ny

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
AT&T has already stated that if you are already on an unlimited plan, when you go to upgrade to a new iPhone, you'll still be able to choose the unlimited data plan option. HOWEVER, if you choose to get off of it and go for the cheaper, there is a chance you wont be able to get back on. I called AT&T yesterday and those are his exact words he told me.

Thanks for the input!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
This makes no sense, because the majority of iPhone users that are buying G4 iPhones (even if you don't upgrade early) will be renewing their contract, which contradicts what AT&T had published.

OBVIOUSLY, buying a new iPhone and using it on your same contract means that AT&T by LAW must honor the $30/unlimited.

This is the first claim to contradict the rest, hopefully they have it wrong ...

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Why doesn't everyone who is moaning and whinging about this simply move to another provider? Do we really need your complaints repeated ad-nauseum when you can simply switch?

What are you talking about?? If you want an iPhone you need ATT, they are still the ONLY provider who carries service on the iPhone in the US. So no, you can't simply switch!

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
The only exception I see so far is individualy responsible corporate plans.

What's the deal with those? That's what I have... Mine doesn't provide a discount on the data plan, though, just voice. (Sony)

The biggest problem is that there's so little time to sort this out, and neither the press nor ATT reps really have a handle on it yet.

This will be up there with "new coke".

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX

If someone other than AT&T had the iPhone we would. Why are you reading threads about something you dont want to hear about?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
This thread is full of misinformation, and what correct information is being posted is getting lost amid the dreck. Let me try to put it as simply as possible:
  • If you now have a $30/mo unlimited data plan, either a SmartPhone Unlimited plan or an iPhone Unlimited plan (but not a BlackBerry Unlimited plan), you will be able to keep your data plan indefinitely, whether in contract or out of contract.
  • You can upgrade your phone and extend/renew your contract on the same line without losing your unlimited data plan. This is true whether you are upgrading from an iPhone to a new iPhone, from another smart phone to an iPhone, or from an iPhone to another brand of smart phone (BlackBerry excluded).
  • Even iPhone 2G users who are still on their $20/mo unlimited 2G data plan are grandfathered in and will be able to upgrade to the $30/mo unlimited plan if they upgrade their line to a newer 3G smart phone, including a 3G-capable iPhone.
  • The only way to lose your 30/mo unlimited data plan is specifically to request to be placed on one of the new cheaper tiered data plans. Otherwise you can keep your current data plan as long as you want.

Anything contradicting these points that you read in any article or hear through a friend -- or even hear from your local AT&T CSR -- is simply wrong.

iPhone3GCrazed

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
This thread is full of misinformation, and what correct information is being posted is getting lost amid the dreck. Let me try to put it as simply as possible:
  • If you now have a $30/mo unlimited data plan, either a SmartPhone Unlimited plan or an iPhone Unlimited plan (but not a BlackBerry Unlimited plan), you will be able to keep your data plan indefinitely, whether in contract or out of contract.
  • You can upgrade your phone and extend/renew your contract on the same line without losing your unlimited data plan. This is true whether you are upgrading from an iPhone to a new iPhone, from another smart phone to an iPhone, or from an iPhone to another brand of smart phone (BlackBerry excluded).
  • Even iPhone 2G users who are still on their $20/mo unlimited 2G data plan are grandfathered in and will be able to upgrade to the $30/mo unlimited plan if they upgrade their line to a newer 3G smart phone, including a 3G-capable iPhone.
  • The only way to lose your 30/mo unlimited data plan is specifically to request to be placed on one of the new cheaper tiered data plans. Otherwise you can keep your current data plan as long as you want.

Anything contradicting these points that you read in any article or hear through a friend -- or even hear from your local AT&T CSR -- is simply wrong.

This is everything I've heard as correct. Haven't heard about the Blackberry exclusion, but that's interesting.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
What's the deal with those? That's what I have... Mine doesn't provide a discount on the data plan, though, just voice. (Sony)

The biggest problem is that there's so little time to sort this out, and neither the press nor ATT reps really have a handle on it yet.

This will be up there with "new coke".

I'm not sure, but here's what it said on Gizmodo:

• Corporate people: If your workplace takes care of your phone, AT&T says "for new lines added for Corporate Responsibility Users after June 7, it will depend on our contract with the company." If you are an Individual Responsibility user, "one of the new plans will need to be selected."

http://gizmodo.com/5553608/caution-...ng-on-yet-unlimited-data-plans-are-going-away

iPad users can also continue using the unlimited, right?

If you buy before June 7.

• Can you point me to a source on that BB statement?

• I'm going to step up now and call you out on this as completely false. Everywhere I've read, including from an AT&T employed moderator on the AT&T forums say ANY smartphone plan is grandfathered.

06-04-2010 08:31:31 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for your continued contributions to the AT&T Wireless Community! It’s been all a buzz since we announced the introduction of the New Smartphone Data Plans.

As many of you already know, existing Smartphone customers who already have a Smartphone data unlimited plan on their account will be allowed to keep their existing data plan should they choose, even if upgrading their device to another Smartphone; this includes ALL Smartphone Operating Systems such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Mobile, webOS and Symbian. So, if you currently have a smartphone, such as a BlackBerry and would like to upgrade/switch to another smartphone like an iPhone, you can do so without losing your current Smartphone data unlimited plan.

For more information on the New Smartphone Data Plans, check it out here.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/A...ck-in-iphone-unlimited-data-plans/m-p/1934774

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
But, apparently, only if you maintain the data plan every month. Skip a month and it is done.

Correct, but the only way to skip a month would be to remove the data plan, which isn't going to happen unless a customer also removed the smartphone from their account, due to AT&T's mandatory data plan on all smartphones rule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.