Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
Hi,

I have a 1.33GHZ Powerbook G4 with 1.2G of ram and a 4200 RPM drive. I would like to swap out the hard drive, and put in a 60G 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, but I am concerned about the heat dissapation. Has anyone tried this? Does the laptop get really hot?

I haven't taken apart my powerbook yet, is it hard to do? I have built several PCs, and taken apart a Wallstreet G3 powerbook, but I am a lttle worried about taking apart my laptop. Is there some type of slotkey located alongside the CD/DVD drive (not a superdrive)?

Thanks!

-V-

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
vgoklani said:
Hi,

I have a 1.33GHZ Powerbook G4 with 1.2G of ram and a 4200 RPM drive. I would like to swap out the hard drive, and put in a 60G 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, but I am concerned about the heat dissapation. Has anyone tried this? Does the laptop get really hot?

-V-

your gunna lose a fair bit of battery life i think, but if you use it mainly for a desktop and occasional portability...then great, cant see any trouble (however more opinions are welcome ;) )

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I remember reading about this on BareFeats and I think he addressed the heat and battery issues. If I remember correctly, both were present, but neither were a huge problem.

bdomz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
AL-FAMOUS said:
your gunna lose a fair bit of battery life i think, but if you use it mainly for a desktop and occasional portability...then great, cant see any trouble (however more opinions are welcome ;) )

here's another good article about faster laptop drives and battery life:

laptop drives

seems to be a pretty negligible effect.

smada

macrumors member
May 7, 2003
Depending on whether your powerbook is a 12, 15, or 17 inch model, the installation is a little different. The 15 inch models do have some tricky clips hidden behind the optical drive. The 17 inch did not give me as much trouble. I have not yet performed a hard drive swap on a 12" but im sure it's not too different from the larger models.

I've found that these higher speed drives don't particularly have much effect on battery life. While it does require more energy to spin faster, the drives do not have to spin as long, as data can be written and accessed more quickly.

Also, these new model Powerbook's get plenty hot already. The slight heat difference these drives make isn't enough to call the fire department over.

You can perform this procedure yourself, instructions are readily available on the internet. Just be prepared to keep track of a lot of really really really tiny screws. Also, realize you'll have to put the 4200 RPM drive back in if you ever want to take it in for service under warranty. If you don't want to worry about voiding your warranty, have an authorized apple service provider do the work.

Congratulations on your new drive, I bet youll notice a huge jump in performance

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
I have the 60GB 7200RPM HD in my current laptop PC, which I'm going to replace with a PB 15". Should it still work after I reformat it my HD and put it in the PB?

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
The warranty on my Rev. B 12 incher runs out in February and I am probably going to replace it with the biggest 7200 rpm drive available. What is currently the largest size? Will that change by February? Where is a good place shop for these online?

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
Thanks for the zipfly link - I was going to buy it from newegg.

I was also waiting for an 80G or 100G 7200 RPM drive (although the latter is highly unlikely). My powerbook is way too slow though; I have an eyeTV 200 (watching the Yankkes/Red Sox game - John Olreud just hit a HR), but running other applications simultaneously is way too slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.