Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ag227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I am not a troll or newbie, I have been following these forums for years, I had another user account but for the life of me can’t remember my username for it or which email address I used to register.

I have seen a lot of people confused about the free higher education extended warranty offer available in the U.K. So I thought that I would write this quick guide for anybody that’s confused.

I have purchased many MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac from both the Apple online store and retail stores. I have also talked to the Apple’s Higher Education Account Manager in the U.K. So I know what I am on about.

Is it available in other countries but the U.K?
Not currently as it is a special agreement in the UK.

Is it avaliable to all U.K. Students?
No, only to higher education students (university etc) accessing the relevant store.

Other students (school, 6th Form etc) only get a discount a Apple Hardware and no extended warranty.

What discount do I get?
Higher Education store - upto 14%

Normal Education store - around 6% off.

What You Can Get From Higher Education Online Store
Included free of charge you get an extended 3 warranty period. Note this is not the same as AppleCare. It covers hardware problems and shipping. It also covers all monitors bought on the same order

For a discounted price (around £50) you can get AppleCare, this just adds telephone support really to the free extended warranty.

What You Can Get From Retail Store With Higher Education Id
Discounted AppleCare (around £50) as it is online.

You do NOT get the free 3 year extended warranty instore

What if I am told there is no such thing as free extended warranty?
It is simple and from my experience the only thing that works, ask to speak to someone else.

Some people just have no knowledge of this what so ever no matter what you tell them, but a lot of them do.

How do I know that I have the extended warranty on my purchase?
Within the first year of the normal warranty you will receive an email containing a certificate confirming your 3 year extended warranty and the online warranty checker should also change to confirm it.

Note that the online warranty checker does not initially always show the extended warranty, which s actually called a custom warranty package using this online checker.

Apples Warranty Statement
Technical, Warranty and Customer Service Support

Special Note: Although the following Service description is included in the Users Guide, it has proved to be extraordinarily difficult to reliably communicate the fact of the contracted 3-year warranty etc. to all end users, both corporate and private. This has not been helped by the inconsistent understanding and/or communication by Apple (UK) staff variously at the point of sale or support, or via its electronic media. Despite considerable efforts by the UACG members and by Apple’s own contract managers, there remains a degree of uncertainty about end-users’ knowledge in this respect. Please do not automatically purchase additional warranty or respond to Apple emailed messages about 3-months’ telephone support etc. until you have checked the status of your contracted cover, and have determined that such a purchase is necessary. If appropriate, confirm with your usual Apple account contact – quoting your system serial number – that the HE Agreement warranty & support terms apply. If and when there is any revision to these Terms it will appear in an updated Users Guide and via various messages.

Terms: One of the special National Agreement benefits negotiated on behalf of the HE community is the three-year, parts and labour warranty and one-year telephone support package. This package provides a three-year parts and labour hardware warranty for current Apple desktops and portables and a telephone technical support service to the member for one year from purchase covering the Apple desktop or portable hardware, Apple operating system and any Apple branded consumer software supplied with your computer as standard. Access to technical support and customer service is via the following phone number.
The support phone number is: 0845 378 0006 – please note that this number is for Institutions only, individuals should call 0870 876 0753

When calling the support line you should have available the serial number of the entitled Apple system on which you require support; this will assist the Apple technical support engineer in providing a prompt response to your enquiry. Apple’s goal is to work with you to find solution as quickly and efficiently as possible.

In the unlikely event the call determines that you require hardware service, depending on the Apple hardware product and your location in the UK, one or more of the following support facilities may be offered:

• During the 3-year warranty period Apple can, depending on the customer’s location, arrange either an on-site service for desktops (subject to normal Apple rules of availability of on-site service – please see section C “Service Options” of the document at the following URL for further details:

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_EU_en.pdf)
• or a collect and return service for portables.
• Carry in Service – this involves transporting the product to an Apple Authorised Service Provider where repairs will be carried out
• Do It Yourself Repair – this may be offered where a simple module swap will resolve the problem if you are comfortable to carry out the swap. Full instructions will accompany the replacement part

If a Collect and Return service is being provided then the product should be boxed in its original packaging; or packaging that we send you. Apple will arrange for courier collection of the product, which will be repaired and returned to you. Any special instructions relating to the particular service being provided will be explained to you by the Apple technical support engineer and/or included with any packaging we send you.
Please always ensure that you have backed up your data before any repair is carried out as Apple cannot be responsible for loss or damage

Sources
Information about warranty - http://appleagreement.procureweb.ac.uk/background.aspx

Apple Warranty Statement - http://appleagreement.procureweb.ac...p_Data/UserImages/File/Warranty_Statement.pdf

Corrections from student_trap

I hope this helps people out that are wondering about the warranty. Maybe it could be stickied or put at the top of the page if deemed good enough.

ag227

ag227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I dont have enough posts quite yet, but I will do when I do.

ag227

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I dont have enough posts quite yet, but I will do when I do.

ag227

great post, it has been tedious to continually correct all the misinformation people have been spreading regarding this - i understand they are talking from personal experience, but just because they were told one thing by an ill informed member of staff (and didn't check with better informed staff), does not make it fact, and it has just encouraged others to readily pay more than they ever should have.

A couple of minor corrections for you to edit your post with:

1. The price that you pay for the HE applecare extension (around £50) is the same in store as it is online.

2. the percentage discount available to HE students is dependant upon their institutions' annual spend with apple. It is usually no higher than 14%

ag227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
great post, it has been tedious to continually correct all the misinformation people have been spreading regarding this - i understand they are talking from personal experience, but just because they were told one thing by an ill informed member of staff (and didn't check with better informed staff), does not make it fact, and it has just encouraged others to readily pay more than they ever should have.

A couple of minor corrections for you to edit your post with:

1. The price that you pay for the HE applecare extension (around £50) is the same in store as it is online.

2. the percentage discount available to HE students is dependant upon their institutions' annual spend with apple. It is usually no higher than 14%

Thank you, those were the bits I weren't 100% sure about, but ill get it changed

ag227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
The guide has now been made and can be seen here *placeholder*

Ash9414

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2010
United Kingdom
So if you pay an extra £47 to upgrade to the 3 year telephone service, is that all you're getting for the extra money you are paying? And do you think it's worth it to show that you actually have an AppleCare box etc if a Genius doesn't know about the agreement if I take my laptop in for repair?

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
So if you pay an extra £47 to upgrade to the 3 year telephone service, is that all you're getting for the extra money you are paying? And do you think it's worth it to show that you actually have an AppleCare box etc if a Genius doesn't know about the agreement if I take my laptop in for repair?

in theory that is all that you are paying for, although tbh when paying so much for a computer, paying an extra little bit for full no quibbles applecare seems like a no brainer

ag227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007

Yes that is all you are paying for.

IMO it is not worth it, more so as you are asking this question on MacRumors... I mean do they know anything that people on here dont know?

The genius will know about the agreement, even if the warranty checker hasnt been updated to be correct, it still says on your account that whatever it is has been bought through the higher ed store.

Trust me, you are guranteed to get the whatever repaired for the 3 years. The certificate they send you (which took me 6 months to get last time) is the gurantee you have, as well as the online warranty checker.

Ash9414

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2010
United Kingdom

IMO it is not worth it, more so as you are asking this question on MacRumors... I mean do they know anything that people on here dont know?

The genius will know about the agreement, even if the warranty checker hasnt been updated to be correct, it still says on your account that whatever it is has been bought through the higher ed store.

Trust me, you are guranteed to get the whatever repaired for the 3 years. The certificate they send you (which took me 6 months to get last time) is the gurantee you have, as well as the online warranty checker.

Ahh ok, before I saw this I wasn't going to bother with getting the discounted AppleCare. But it seems like I may as well pay the extra as I will get a physical box to show that I have the extended warranty and that will give me piece of mind that my laptop will be protected.

ag227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Fair enough. i might consider it to for the next one i get. It cant harm for the sake of £47. Will prob help resale value too.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
The extended warranty makes the £47 sounds a waste of money. I've never had any issues resolved with Apple's phone support. The people I spoke to don't even know what Automator was. Terminal issues? Forget it.

When I was a student, I always bought the discounted AppleCare, but when I found out that I was already eligible for an extended warranty, I felt a bit cheated.

I think your post must be one of the most useful ones that I ever read here. Well done!

ggabriel

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Thank you for this information, it's been greatly helpful. I have a question to ask, does the 3-year student warranty give you cover internationally? I will be in the States for an entire year and need to know if I'll be covered - one Apple Education rep told me I will be, the other told me I wont be.

Many regards.

ag227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I'm not sure to be honest if it is a world wide warranty. I imagine it should be, I would think the best way to check is to contact AppleCare in America and ask if they cover MacBooks etc on the uk higher education warranty.

Someone else might be able to help more.

Sorry

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
The worldwide warranty depends on the product you've bought.

Desktop computers like the Mac Pro don't have a worldwide warranty.
I also bought mine in the UK with the HE discount and the AppleCare leaflet explicitly says that the hardware support is limited to specified countries in Western Europe.

Portable computers however have a worldwide warranty.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005

On one of these discussions I read that the HE warranty is carry in only but Applecare will send a box if you are not near an authorized service center. That might make a difference to some people. The OP should check this out and add it to his guide.

ag227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
On one of these discussions I read that the HE warranty is carry in only but Applecare will send a box if you are not near an authorized service center. That might make a difference to some people. The OP should check this out and add it to his guide.

That's wrong sorry. I have a few times been sent the mail in boxes with the HE warranty. At one point they sent a replacement iMac before they picked the old one up by a few days. I have also sent in a MacBook a few years ago for repair.

ggabriel

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Does anybody currently have the student warranty activated? I'm keen to see what the warranty checker actually says on screen..from what I understand it shows up like your average AppleCare meaning it should be covered worldwide. This is bad on apples part, it's all so ambiguous and complicated.

Just got off the phone with Apple again. It seems even here in the UK they are
Unsure as to how comprehensive the student warranty is. As I'm in America for a year, I need to know I'm covered and that extra 47 quid will just me peace of mind..if the UK reps don't know anything about it, it'd be a nightmare getting the yanks to understand it!

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Does anybody currently have the student warranty activated? I'm keen to see what the warranty checker actually says on screen..from what I understand it shows up like your average AppleCare meaning it should be covered worldwide. This is bad on apples part, it's all so ambiguous and complicated.

The warranty checker doesn't give any indications about country limitations, at least it doesn't for my registered products.

ggabriel

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
The warranty checker doesn't give any indications about country limitations, at least it doesn't for my registered products.

Very interesting..which products do you have registered? Could you please see what it gives you as options if you request service selecting USA as your country? Thank you, i really need to get to the bottom
Of this and you could be the key! Also how long have you got left on your cover?

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Very interesting..which products do you have registered? Could you please see what it gives you as options if you request service selecting USA as your country? Thank you, i really need to get to the bottom
Of this and you could be the key! Also how long have you got left on your cover?

I've got two MBPs and a ACD under the normal AppleCare and a Mac Mini and Mac Pro under the UK HE warranty. Both of the latter products were purchased with the additional AppleCare warranty.

Both HE warranty products have about 24 month of coverage left (one more and one less, but that shouldn't matter).

I just tried to set up a repair in the USA for my Mac Pro, strangely enough, the website says that all services are available for this Mac, which includes phone support, visiting a local AASP and visiting a retail store.
What makes me wonder is, that the AppleCare leaflet that comes with the computer explicitly states that the coverage for this computer is only valid in Western Europe (it lists the countries).

I don't get it, either they changed their warranty conditions for desktop computers or the website is simply wrong.
The notebooks are also entitled for a service in the US, which makes total sense as it conforms to the conditions printed in the AppleCare leaflet.

Unfortunately I haven't bought a notebook with the UK HE warranty, so I can't tell you what's printed in the AppleCare leaflet for them, but both the leaflet I got with the Mini and the one they send me with the Pro say that service is only available in Western Europe.
As I said, the notebooks are under the normal AppleCare, so they are definitely entitled for a worldwide repair.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
No, you also gain the added benefit of on site pick up of your machine, free of charge, which is not guaranteed by the regular HE 3 year warranty.

This is beneficial if you are not near an Apple Store or AASP.

AFAIK that does only count for desktop computers and if you are in range of 60 miles from an AASP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.