Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Not good so far.

1. Couldn't clone in Voyager Q. drive keeps unmounting as soon as the clone
starts.

2. Was able to clone in a cheap Rocketfish USB enclosure

3. Put drive into i7 MBP and I couldn't get past the languages screen in the Install DVD or my own SD card. Just wouldn't let me check the right arrow button.

4. Put back my X-25M 160. Machine boots fine. Tried partitioning the SSD in the Voyager Q and it fails every time.

OWC is sending me a new drive to try next week and I'll report back how that turns out.

Beninho

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Same problem here.

Exactly the same.

With cheap usb enclosure i could partition it. And send small files to the drive. But when I tried to send larga (over 100 mb) to the drive it just unmounted.

Same with Snow leoard install. I could not format and copie snow leopard to the drive.

Drive shipped back to OWC, I hope they send me a fully tested drive back.. Because is live in the netherlands so shipping it not cheap ;)

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Seems to be a common thing with the sandforce controlled drives. Maybe just install all of your apps and pull your data over manually?

spcedog

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Mercury Extreme Pro 120 GB was okay

I just put in the Extreme Pro 120 GB (not RE) version. I was able to partition and install off the system restore disks with no problem at all. I can't comment on the cloning, but everything seems to be going alright so far...it's so fast I love it! :D

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
I am receiving another drive from them today.

If I ran Integrity tool from Speed Utilities I observe that it errors soon after starting the test. So I expect not to see that with the drive i'm receiving today.

Cloning with the new drive now and I think we may have a winner

So far completely different experience from the last drive.

Same problem here.

Exactly the same.

With cheap usb enclosure i could partition it. And send small files to the drive. But when I tried to send larga (over 100 mb) to the drive it just unmounted.

Same with Snow leoard install. I could not format and copie snow leopard to the drive.

Drive shipped back to OWC, I hope they send me a fully tested drive back.. Because is live in the netherlands so shipping it not cheap ;)

Beninho

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
I just put in the Extreme Pro 120 GB (not RE) version. I was able to partition and install off the system restore disks with no problem at all. I can't comment on the cloning, but everything seems to be going alright so far...it's so fast I love it! :D

That is the one I bought too, I'am kind of jealous that it does work for you ;)

I'll let you guys no when the owc sends me the new drive. I'll tell how the install went off.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Well this drive seems to be working more ways than the previous one. However bad things happen when I have another device in my firewire chain. For whatever reason I do have issues when my Time Machine drive (G-Technology drive) is in my chain.

That is the one I bought too, I'am kind of jealous that it does work for you ;)

I'll let you guys no when the owc sends me the new drive. I'll tell how the install went off.

Beninho

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Well Guys, i recieved the new drive.

Lame! It has exactly the same issues as the previous drive :mad:

Terrible, they did not even test it before the shipped a new one... then it wouldn't have any problems.. :eek:)

1. I'am able to parition it.
2. I'am able to mount it. (even with usb)
3. I'am not able to install snow leopard to it.
4. When mounted with usb i cannot send files to drive. Will unmount.

Support from owc is terrible at the moment. 1 email/24h. Without constructive answers.

--not happy now :confused: --

doctortee

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
Munich, Germany
hi all,

do the problems with the owc mercury extreme still exist or could they be solved meanwhile? i'm looking for a good alternative to the x25-m for my new mbp 13 mid-2010...

thanks for your replies,
torsten

Jaxdialation

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
I don't get it, I had -no- problem cloning my hard drive onto mine. Beginners luck? Never happens to me :)

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
OWC weren't very good and getting back to me as to why the earlier drive had so many problems but it was around the time of a firmware upgrade.

I don't get it, I had -no- problem cloning my hard drive onto mine. Beginners luck? Never happens to me :)

OneCent

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
i just installed a OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 240 without any Problems. I have used carbon copy to clone the disk and thats all... no problems until now.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
No company is perfect which is why the drives have a three year warranty (or five year for the RE). Yes I agree it is very frustrating to get a defective drive although as long as you are given a replacement that does work at no cost, then it reflects well on OWC in my view, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.