Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I have a 400MHz TiBook that stopped powering up after I removed the bottom case, which is a user-removable component to install the AirPort Card and HD.

After I put the cover back on, the machine would not boot. Opening it up, I realized the power button cord was not seated right, so I plugged it in firmly. I plugged it in and still nothing.

Listening closely, I could hear the computer making tiny whining noises, and the KB lights come on when I press capslock or num lock.

I've tried the reset button on back, cmnd+opton+power, and disconnecting the PRAM battery and main battery to no avail. Is there a special combination of the above methods, or something else.

The battery happened to be discharged, which I understand might be hindering any progress as well.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

synthetase

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
ye olde pram reset is one thing.
try holding down the power button until you hear a long tone, hope for a boot chime.

there is also the possibility something was fried while the case was open. especially if you weren't properly grounded.

make sure you're using the power adapter since you know you're having batter issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.